Is it OK to skip breakfast?

Options
So I'm not really someone who is big on eating breakfast, it's not like I skip intentionally it's just that I honestly don't get hungry for hours after I wake up. I usually get up at about 8am and I'm not hungry until around 12 give or take half an hour or so. I don't know why, I just don't. Is it really that bad to not eat breakfast? I mean, I can eat breakfast but not a lot because if I eat when I don't feel hungry I feel stuffed. Since I've been on my diet I have been trying to eat in the morning, but sometimes I just forget. (Okay, a lot of times I forget)

Replies

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Is it really that bad to not eat breakfast?
    Nope, don't overthink it, it will be fine.
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,068 Member
    Options
    no, its fine. i dont eat until noon throughout the week and i get up at 5
  • He1loKitty
    He1loKitty Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I almost never eat breakfast. I'm the same as you. I just don't get hungry until later. If anything, the few calories I consume in my morning coffee are enough to hold me until lunch. So far, not eating breakfast has not inhibited my weight loss, as far as I can tell.
  • GuineaPiglet
    GuineaPiglet Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I'm not big on breakfast either. I try to grab a granola/nutrition bar on my way out the door for later though, because by 10am or so I am finally hungry. Ravenous, really. Having something in my belly before lunch has really made it easier to make healthy choices for meals.
  • phil6707
    phil6707 Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    if you are to skip a meal, breakfast is the last you want to skip. It is the most important meal of the day, the one that gets you started and fuels you for the day.
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,068 Member
    Options
    if you are to skip a meal, breakfast is the last you want to skip. It is the most important meal of the day, the one that gets you started and fuels you for the day.
    proven wrong many times. your metabolism doesnt stop working when you go to sleep
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

Most of the people left claiming it as the "most important meal of the day" are trying to sell you a breakfast cereal. It really is okay to skip breakfast as long as it doesn't cause you to overeat later in the day (and you have no medical issues, of course).
  • sbarella
    sbarella Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    Personal preference. I'm usually not hungry when I wake up. I force myself to eat something before going to the gym because I can't workout fasted, but if I don't go to the gym my energy levels are perfectly fine till noon. And I'm losing weight.
  • phil6707
    Options
    proven wrong by who? american dietetician?

considering the track of record of health and nutrition in the US, I stay with the European thinking...
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    If you don't like breakfast, don't eat breakfast. It has no effect on your metabolism/weight loss.
  • phil6707
    Options
    I come from Europe. Breakfast with cereals are very rare there. That is not what we mean by breakfast
  • He1loKitty
    He1loKitty Posts: 212 Member
    Options

Most of the people left claiming it as the "most important meal of the day" are trying to sell you a breakfast cereal. It really is okay to skip breakfast as long as it doesn't cause you to overeat later in the day (and you have no medical issues, of course).

That's how I rationalize not eating breakfast!
  • weightliftingdiva
    weightliftingdiva Posts: 522 Member
    Options

considering the track of record of health and nutrition in the US, I stay with the European thinking...

Personally, I consider science and not anecdotal evidence.
  • Leonidas_meets_Spartacus
    Leonidas_meets_Spartacus Posts: 6,198 Member
    Options
    I eat one big huge meal a day. That works best for me, I never eat breakfast.
  • Leonidas_meets_Spartacus
    Leonidas_meets_Spartacus Posts: 6,198 Member
    Options
    LOL. ok
  • Laurenloveswaffles
    Laurenloveswaffles Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    I dome from Europe. Breakfast with cereals are very rare there. That is not what we mean by breakfast

French toast? French toast sounds good right now.
  • Angela26point2finisher
    Angela26point2finisher Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I'm starving when I get up in the morning. I don't know how you guys do it, breakfast is my favorite meal of the day. Like with most things, you have to do what is right for you.
  • megan1869
    megan1869 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    The only way I ever lose weight is by not eating breakfast! If I eat breakfast I want to eat ALL day its the strangest thing!
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options

I come from Europe too...
    Eat breakfast or don't eat breakfast - whatever suits you.

It made sense for our ancestors who would work long, hard physical jobs without a break. Now it's just a saying passed down from our parents. Eat your food in whatever pattern suits you - nothing special about the first meal of the day or how many meals you have in a day.
  • colleenamyers
    colleenamyers Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I never have time for breakfast. Eggs and oatmeal and all that good stuff... it's not something I have time for in the morning when it sometimes takes all I can do to get out the door! But I definitely think it negatively impacted my overall energy and affected how I ate the rest of the day. I do shakes for breakfast now and have noticed a big improvement in my energy and a reduction in my snacking throughout the day. If I'm not hungry when I'm leaving the house I'll bring the shake and have it mid-morning.