Running Alone

Options
I want to start running my neighborhood before work but I'm afraid to be running by myself. Our neighborhood is small and safe but maybe I just need some re-assurance.

Replies

• brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    If it is safe ... what is the concern?
  • handyrunner
    handyrunner Posts: 32,662 Member
    Options
    You could carry pepper spray...that may give you a measure of security.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    I want to start running my neighborhood before work but I'm afraid to be running by myself. Our neighborhood is small and safe but maybe I just need some re-assurance.
    We can't reassure you about your neighbourhood because we don't know it. If though you believe it's safe as you say go running. I run alone all the time very late at night I know my area is safe. only you can judge yours
  • Flyingfree83
    Flyingfree83 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Can u not get someone to go with u who also likes to go running?
  • azrubael
    azrubael Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    “I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear... And when it is gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear is gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.” ~ Frank Herbert
  • MrsBB521
    MrsBB521 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I want to go before work so that would be like 5am. I think I'll just carry some pepper spray, that would make me feel safe. Guess I've seen too many crime shows :p Thanks everyone.
  • JosieRawr
    JosieRawr Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    I run/ walk/ bike in my small, safe neighborhood. Only you can decide if you believe what you said or not. :)
  • janellyf
    janellyf Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I admit that I live in a pretty safe area. But, anything can happen anywhere . . .

I often run late at night. Sometimes it is the only time I can get a run in.
    I also prefer to run alone . . . it's my time to regroup mentally. I also don't want to have to worry about keeping pace with someone and I don't want to talk (or attempt to) while running.

I do stay in the neighborhoods I know, main roads only, wear flashing bracelets and reflective bands and always have my phone with me. I live very close to the metroparks, but I don't go to those isolated paths and wooded areas alone (regardless of time of day.)
    I do have mace that I carry, too.
  • MrsBB521
    MrsBB521 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    “I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear... And when it is gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear is gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.” ~ Frank Herbert

This is awesome, thank you!
  • DymonNdaRgh40
    DymonNdaRgh40 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    I often run alone but I do carry my steel bat with me just in case.

You never know:wink:
  • Alanakrahenbil
    Alanakrahenbil Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I felt the same way when I first started running in the evenings. Our neighborhood is pretty safe and there's usually quite a bit of people running at the same time. I prefer to run alone, it's my me time and I hate carrying anything so i never brought anything with me but I agree with the others, maybe some pepper spray if you are worried about it
  • CupcakeCrusoe
    CupcakeCrusoe Posts: 1,382 Member
    Options
    Wear brightly colored, flourescent clothing (cars), and if you feel like someone is following you menacingly, yell out your name, loudly, and a description of the dude/dudette following you. (I've never had to use that trick. Ever. But I have on occasion held my keys between my fingers in a fist. I don't run in very safe neighborhoods.)

-a paranoid alone runner
  • AlistairBernardNormal
    AlistairBernardNormal Posts: 989 Member
    Options
    Do you have a dog? If you do, it may make an excellent running partner/guard.
  • TAsunder
    TAsunder Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Not related to potential victimization, I wear a road id and, if I ever run when it's somewhat dark (which I almost never do), I make sure I am very visible with plenty of bright colors and reflective materials. I also always run with my phone because it makes me feel safer to know I can call someone if I need to. I highly recommend all of those practices.
  • WJS_jeepster
    WJS_jeepster Posts: 224 Member
    Options

Dune for the win!
  • shireeniebeanie
    shireeniebeanie Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I admit that I live in a pretty safe area. But, anything can happen anywhere . . .

I often run late at night. Sometimes it is the only time I can get a run in.
    I also prefer to run alone . . . it's my time to regroup mentally. I also don't want to have to worry about keeping pace with someone and I don't want to talk (or attempt to) while running.

I do stay in the neighborhoods I know, main roads only, wear flashing bracelets and reflective bands and always have my phone with me. I live very close to the metroparks, but I don't go to those isolated paths and wooded areas alone (regardless of time of day.)
    I do have mace that I carry, too.

I agree with this. Anything can happen anywhere, anytime, but you can't stay home and avoid living your life.

Stick to well-lit populated or main streets, and avoid the paths unless it's daylight with a lot of walkers/runners around.

Carrying pepper spray can make you feel better, and looking up the sex-offender registry for the area can remind you which streets/houses to steer clear of.
  • Dogwalkingirl
    Dogwalkingirl Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Can't live your life afraid of what "might' happen! You said you feel your neighborhood is pretty safe so don't worry about it.

The dog idea is a good one.
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I go a couple mornings a week in the dark/pre dawn. I vary my route to be a little less predictable. But, if it's a safe town, that's the best assurance you're gonna get.
  • amandzor
    amandzor Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Well. If someone comes chasing after you, consider it a challenge to run faster!
  • knitapeace
    knitapeace Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    I agree with the posters who say you can't let fear rule your life. If you know it's not a high risk area, then do what you can to make yourself comfortable. I run alone in my neighborhood at 5am and worry more about visibility than random crazy people. I carry knuckle lights as the mornings get darker, and wear light colored clothing.

My mother thinks I'm going to be attacked, but she thinks anywhere in New York is the same as Manhattan. I live in a suburb on Long Island.

I will confess, however, on my very first early morning run I was sure I was being stalked by a serial killer. It was just the paper guy.