are low wights high reps useful too?

Options
2»

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    First off, what would you consider high rep? I've never read anything suggesting that there is any real benefit of doing more than about 12-15 reps...so that's what I would consider to be high rep. The weight you are pushing or pulling should still be such that you are near failure on your last rep.

I do higher rep, lower rep stuff when; 1) I'm rehabbing or nursing an injury; 2) training for endurance events and cyclocross where muscular endurance and stamina are far more important than whether I can pull 300 lbs off the ground. When I train like this, it's very much in a circuit type of fashion with minimal rest. I also tend to include a lot of explosive stuff like box jumps, kettle bell swings, explosive push-ups, squat jumps, etc when I train like this.

Throughout the year I work in various cycles of muscular endurance/stamina, hypertrophy, and strength. From an overall fitness standpoint, I find that to be the best methodology for me.

In RE to visible abs, that has more to do with your BF% than rep ranges, etc. It can be quite difficult for women to get to a low enough BF% to have visible abs. I know many very fit and athletic women who do not have 6 pack abs.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    *Edit nm, I read 50 reps not 50 as a weight, which is what I think you mean now? Sets of 5-10 is not bad, sets of 50 or more is not good for much except repetitive stress.

yes i meant to say 50 pounds. not reps lol so 50 pounds of weight in squats, deadlifts and ohp 30 pounds :) i do 5-10 reps

Do you just stop when you get to a certain rep? If you could do more reps with that weight do more or up the weight. The last rep or 2 in each set should be difficult to complete with good form (you should be straining), if you are not, add weight or more reps or both.
  • susanlovesfitness
    susanlovesfitness Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    It is nutrition to get that weight. I have a 8 month difference and all I did was change my nutrition and drink 120 oz of water for a flat tighter stomach. I work out the same, all I did was change my diet. If you can open my page and see the 8 month difference.. I mean I did 400 crunches along with heavy weight lifting 5 days a week but I want to see the difference all over.
  • jardimgirl
    jardimgirl Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    First off, what would you consider high rep? I've never read anything suggesting that there is any real benefit of doing more than about 12-15 reps...so that's what I would consider to be high rep. The weight you are pushing or pulling should still be such that you are near failure on your last rep.

I do higher rep, lower rep stuff when; 1) I'm rehabbing or nursing an injury; 2) training for endurance events and cyclocross where muscular endurance and stamina are far more important than whether I can pull 300 lbs off the ground. When I train like this, it's very much in a circuit type of fashion with minimal rest. I also tend to include a lot of explosive stuff like box jumps, kettle bell swings, explosive push-ups, squat jumps, etc when I train like this.

Throughout the year I work in various cycles of muscular endurance/stamina, hypertrophy, and strength. From an overall fitness standpoint, I find that to be the best methodology for me.

In RE to visible abs, that has more to do with your BF% than rep ranges, etc. It can be quite difficult for women to get to a low enough BF% to have visible abs. I know many very fit and athletic women who do not have 6 pack abs.

hi thanks for your reply. the reps i do is when i hit 10 or 11 i cant push farther.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    hi everyone, so my question is this. my goal is to just achieve a flatter tight stomach. i know there is no spot reduction and that i must do a small deficit to lose remaining fat. im at my goal weight and i wouldn't mind losing another 3 if it means ill lose the rest of my gut. so a good friend of mine on here (uscmp, i hope i spelled that right) is very knowledgeable and had a great link on those who want a nice stomach.however, i dont really go heavy on the weights, but i do not do pink barbie weights either lol (though they are cute and girly) :) anyways i know its good to have resistance training and so i was wondering if i could still achieve my goal of a tight toned stomach doing not so heavy weights with a few more added reps? ex: squats 40 sometimes 50, ohp 20-30, and deadlift 50. also 35 press. (i know its now heavy for most, but it still makes me sweat) and i do 5-10 reps.

my stats:
    27 female
    115 pounds
    5'0

Why don't you want to lift heavier?
  • figuu
    figuu Posts: 20
    Options
    I see this girl at the gym and she puts on the lowest weight of whatever the hell sort of weight machine she's doing and just does that for I swear, 10 minutes. She looks the same every time I see her.
  • dieselbyte
    dieselbyte Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Short answer: Yes.
    Longer answer: Lower weights, higher reps builds lean muscle rather than bulk. Most sources I've looked at and trainers I've talked to say no more than 10-15 reps per set, though (and 8-10 on heavy weights). You can do 4-5 cycles, but give the muscles that stretch break between sets. This can help prevent excess fatigue and muscle damage. Oh and always listen to your body!

Bulking is dependent on caloric intake, not amount of weight lifted. And as stated earlier, it is much harder for women to "bulk" then for men. Also, muscle damage is required in order to stimulate growth.

OP - while you are aware that you cannot spot reduce, for visible abs your bf% must be low enough. The compound lifts in your routine will strenghten your core, but the deficit you seek to lower your bf will come from your caloric intake, not just calories burned in the gym. Hypertrophy training (8-10 rep range) isn't a macigal routine to give you six pack abs. It's proven that strength (1-6 rep range) and hypertrophy training have near identical results in muscle growth.

Bottom line: train for performance, strength and efficiency. Focus on diet for body composition.