Interesting Video on 'Sugar: The Bitter Truth'

Options

Replies

• Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options
    I'm not saying he can't be wrong about anything, but the man isn't some random pundit ranting on the internet about something he knows nothing about:

Dr. Lustig Bio:

Robert H. Lustig, M.D. is Professor of Pediatrics in the Division of Endocrinology at University of California, San Francisco, and Director of the Weight Assessment for Teen and Child Health (WATCH) Program at UCSF.

Dr. Lustig is a neuroendocrinologist, with basic and clinical training relative to hypothalamic development, anatomy, and function. Prior to coming to San Francisco in 2001, he worked at St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital in Memphis, TN. There, he was charged with the endocrine care of many children whose hypothalami had been damaged by brain tumors, or subsequent surgery, radiation, or chemotherapy. Many patients who survived became massively obese. Dr. Lustig theorized that hypothalamic damage led to the inability to sense the hormone leptin, which in turn, led to the starvation response. Since repairing the hypothalamus was not an option, he looked downstream, and noted that these patients had increased activity of the vagus nerve (a manifestation of starvation) which increased insulin secretion. By administering the insulin suppressive agent octreotide, he was able to get them to lose weight; but more remarkably, they started to exercise spontaneously. He then demonstrated the same phenomenon in obese adults without CNS lesions. The universality of these findings has enabled Dr. Lustig to weave these threads together into a novel unifying hypothesis regarding the etiology, prevention, and treatment of the current obesity epidemic. This has led him to explore the specific role of fructose (half of sucrose and high-fructose corn syrup) as a specific mediator of both chronic disease, and continued caloric consumption. His now notorious YouTube video, “Sugar – the bitter truth” continues its popularity with the lay public.

A native of Brooklyn, NY, Dr. Lustig went to Stuyvesant H.S. in Manhattan, graduated from MIT in 1976, and received his M.D. from Cornell University Medical College in 1980. He completed his pediatric residency at St. Louis Children’s Hospital in 1983, and his clinical fellowship at UCSF in 1984. From there, he spent six years as a post-doctoral fellow and research associate in neuroendocrinology at The Rockefeller University. He has been a faculty member at the University of Wisconsin-Madison, and the University of Tennessee, Memphis. Dr. Lustig has authored 85 peer-reviewed articles and 30 reviews. He has mentored 20 pediatric endocrine fellows, and trained numerous other allied health professionals. He provides endocrinologic support to several protocols of the Children’s Oncology Group. He is the former Chairman of the Ad hoc Obesity Task Force of the Lawson Wilkins Pediatric Endocrine Society, a member of the Pediatric Obesity Practice Guidelines Subcommittee of The Endocrine Society, a member of the Obesity Task Force of the Endocrine Society, a member of the Pediatric Obesity Devices Committee of the U.S. Food and Drug Administration, and a member of the Steering Committee of the International Endocrine Alliance to Combat Obesity. He also consults for several childhood obesity advocacy groups.

http://profiles.ucsf.edu/robert.lustig
  • in_the_stars
    in_the_stars Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    QUOTE:

Yeah... :(

copied from a post I made last year -

QUOTE:
    July 22, 2013 11:04 am

NuSI, Taubes and Lustig, is supposedly nonprofit yet take a look at their contributions, and who they're coming from. Once again, no money left from the tobacco suits, there's been groups of attorneys+ chipping away at big food for 20+ years now.

" Why would a billionaire energy trader-turned-philanthropist throw his foundation's dough behind a new think tank that wants to challenge scientific assumptions about obesity?
    John Arnold, 38, whose move from Enron to a spectacularly successful hedge fund got him on the list of wealthiest Americans, isn't crazy about talking to the press. But certainly his decision with his wife Laura to back a newly launched operation called the Nutrition Science Initiative, or NuSI, is an intriguing one." $5 million."

...and so on.

Reminds me of the panel that represents Get With The Guidelines on cholesterol and medical intervention and when it should be administered.......surprising quite a few are compensated by the same companies that provide medical intervention, aka, statins.

Anyway, both Taubes and Lustig believe sugar causes obesity.......I hope they bring something else to the table to argue.
  • Meerataila
    Options
    QUOTE:

Yeah... :(

copied from a post I made last year -

QUOTE:
    July 22, 2013 11:04 am

NuSI, Taubes and Lustig, is supposedly nonprofit yet take a look at their contributions, and who they're coming from. Once again, no money left from the tobacco suits, there's been groups of attorneys+ chipping away at big food for 20+ years now.

" Why would a billionaire energy trader-turned-philanthropist throw his foundation's dough behind a new think tank that wants to challenge scientific assumptions about obesity?
    John Arnold, 38, whose move from Enron to a spectacularly successful hedge fund got him on the list of wealthiest Americans, isn't crazy about talking to the press. But certainly his decision with his wife Laura to back a newly launched operation called the Nutrition Science Initiative, or NuSI, is an intriguing one." $5 million."

...and so on.

Reminds me of the panel that represents Get With The Guidelines on cholesterol and medical intervention and when it should be administered.......surprising quite a few are compensated by the same companies that provide medical intervention, aka, statins.

Anyway, both Taubes and Lustig believe sugar causes obesity.......I hope they bring something else to the table to argue.

No doubt this crook is involved in obesity research for the same reason DARPA gets its sticky fingers into all kinds of research: American military power. After all, our military is engaged heavily in energy wars that benefit his cronies. And our military is threatened by obesity in America.
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    Here is an interesting video on 'Sugar: The Bitter Truth' well worth watching if you have the time. It may give you a different perspective on sugar. It may help with your weight loss journey or it may not but interesting non the less.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM

Information?? - You are passing it on wrong!
  • redversustheblue
    redversustheblue Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Nah.... I'll just keep tracking fiber instead of sugar and enjoy my evening dish of ice cream.... It has worked pretty good for me so far..... :wink:

Yeah, I'm gonna listen to the man who lost 300 LBS advice. That's really incredible!
  • Froody2
    Froody2 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    The thing about the sugar debate I don't get is why is sugar singled out for attention, when most of the food we love to abuse is high in both fat and sugar? Apart from lollies (candy), and sugary drinks, of course.

Same for fat and salt combinations, which are equally as delicious and gimme-moreish. Why sugar alone?
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    The thing about the sugar debate I don't get is why is sugar singled out for attention, when most of the food we love to abuse is high in both fat and sugar? Apart from lollies (candy), and sugary drinks, of course.

Same for fat and salt combinations, which are equally as delicious and gimme-moreish. Why sugar alone?
    Singling out one thing makes it easier for the public to buy what is being sold. People don't always like complexity.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

Best profile pic ever!
  • Blacklance36
    Blacklance36 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    Lemme guess...... Fruit = evil as well? No thanks..

Don't forget gluten, that's "evil" too.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    More recent research is finding that it is not necessarily sugar or carbs that particularly cause the problems like non-alcoholic fatty liver disease but over consumption of total calories does -- which is very easy to do with foods that are laden with hidden sugars.

That being said, it's a good idea to try to limit consumption of calorie-dense foods that have few nutrients or fiber. Sugar falls firmly into that category. Devote your calories to foods that also provide the nutrients you need for health.

But tonight, we will have rhubarb clafouti made with real sugar. I'm not saying one must eliminate added sugars from diet but instead to be mindful -- the rest of supper will be a tabouli with beans.
  • RHachicho
    RHachicho Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    Is it really so hard to fathom that people are just eating to much and aren't as active. Must we really go round and round looking for the mysterious culprit that ... once omitted will allow us to KEEP sitting around all day stuffing our faces and have trim healthy beach bodies. Cos I am telling you that isn't going to happen. So you might as well stop looking for that big thing that's going to let you do what you want and be as healthy as you want OP because it doesn't exist. Health ... requires ... discipline.

There is no escaping it.
  • skinnybythanksgiving
    skinnybythanksgiving Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Yes, I've watched it twice. It was really informative. The physician that does the presentation is Dr. Robert Lustig, Professor of Clinical Pediatrics at University of California San Francisco Center for Obesity Assessment. He is a brilliant man who has done decades of research on sugar's effects on the body both long and short term. I lost 30 pounds after watching his video and giving up sweeteners for nine months. I still ate fruit. It took 5 months to lose my weight. When I started eating sugar again at the encouragement of one of my fitness "pals' I unfortunately gained back 10 pounds from my lowest weight. Thanks for letting those who will be helped about his video!
  • RHachicho
    RHachicho Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    Yes, I've watched it twice. It was really informative. The physician that does the presentation is Dr. Robert Lustig, Professor of Clinical Pediatrics at University of California San Francisco Center for Obesity Assessment. He is a brilliant man who has done decades of research on sugar's effects on the body both long and short term. I lost 30 pounds after watching his video and giving up sweeteners for nine months. I still ate fruit. It took 5 months to lose my weight. When I started eating sugar again at the encouragement of one of my fitness "pals' I unfortunately gained back 10 pounds from my lowest weight. Thanks for letting those who will be helped about his video!

So I guess all this weight loss I have achieved while eating a few sugary things every now and then is a lie then?

When you started eating sugar again it got out of control and you went into a calorie surplus. End of Story. Don't blame the sugar for your lack of control.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options

So I guess all this weight loss I have achieved while eating a few sugary things every now and then is a lie then?

When you started eating sugar again it got out of control and you went into a calorie surplus. End of Story. Don't blame the sugar for your lack of control.

Exactly this.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Is it really so hard to fathom that people are just eating to much and aren't as active. Must we really go round and round looking for the mysterious culprit that ... once omitted will allow us to KEEP sitting around all day stuffing our faces and have trim healthy beach bodies. Cos I am telling you that isn't going to happen. So you might as well stop looking for that big thing that's going to let you do what you want and be as healthy as you want OP because it doesn't exist. Health ... requires ... discipline.

There is no escaping it.

Best of luck selling that book.
  • jmv7117
    jmv7117 Posts: 891 Member
    Options

There is no escaping it.

Hey, you are preaching to the choir so to speak. I'm certainly not looking for that big thing as you put it.
  • Meerataila
    Options
    Lemme guess...... Fruit = evil as well? No thanks..

Don't forget gluten, that's "evil" too.

No, he doesn't say fruit is evil. Fruit juice on the other hand is something he says he doesn't give to his obese child patients because it causes them to gain weight due to lack of fiber.

I don't think he says anything about gluten.

Nor does he say sugar causes obesity. It's a factor, but not the sole cause. He speaks about sugar causing metabolic problems due to the way the body processes it. These metabolic problems lead to a desire to overeat and not be physically active. He cites plenty of research in rats and humans for his conclusions.
  • redversustheblue
    redversustheblue Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options

Exactly this.

So much this.