Nuvaring Migraine Question?

Options
I started using the Nuvaring six months ago. I absolutely love it, but I've also started to develop killer headaches the two days before I actually get my period. Nothing seems to get rid of them, Excederine Migraine, Imitrex. Last month, I had to go to the doctor for help getting rid of one I had for seven days!

My question is, did anyone try it and have this problem? I really would like to stay on the ring and was wondering if there could be a possible solution to this without having to go back on the pill or doing depo shots.

Thanks,
Shannon

Replies

• inskydiamonds
    inskydiamonds Posts: 2,519 Member
    Options
    I've used NuvaRing for years and never have experienced that. My menstrual cramps are a whole lot better because of it.
  • shelli1982
    Options
    Ask your physician if it's safe for you to take 800 mg of Ibuprofen starting 48 to 72 hours before your period, and then take it around the clock (every 8 hours) at least until you get your period....But if you get the okay from your doc, make sure to take it with meals every time.. very hard on the stomach. If you have ever had an ulcer or if you're on blood thinners, don't take it... but hopefully this will help!
  • jigsawxyouth
    jigsawxyouth Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I was only on Nuvaring for two months. I didn't experience headaches, but my mood swings were the reason I was only on it for two months. I would get really angry at the drop of a hat. It was terrible...
  • Sweet13_Princess
    Sweet13_Princess Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    Do you really think it's healthy to take pills to prevent the migraines? I mean, I'd love to stay on the nuvaring, but not at the expense of my health. I have a gyno appointment in June, so I figured I'd keep giving it a try until then. I've always had headache issues, pretty much on all birth control pills. I always get a headache the Wednesday of the pack and have it until Sunday when I start a new one....

Shannon
  • ammp
    ammp Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Maybe you can't take the hormones. Ever thought about the copper IUD? I had it and loved it, before I got it removed because we're TTC
  • Sweet13_Princess
    Options
    Bump... anyone else have advice or issues with this?

Shannon
  • jessieinblue
    jessieinblue Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I am not a doctor, and I don't mean to be inflammatory, but if you are concerned about your health and you are getting these migraines, it sounds like you need to cease using the birth control. There are many health risks associated with hormonal birth control: blood clots, embolisms, infections, and strokes, among others. I don't mean to suggest that every woman or even most women who use birth control will experience these things, but the migraines suggest that you are at risk of stroke.
  • amuhlou
    amuhlou Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who is considering going off NuvaRing due to headaches. She has issues with getting headaches while using pretty much all hormonal bc methods.
  • Sweet13_Princess
    Options
    Well, I did consider an IUD before, but my gyno recommended the nuvaring because it's less problematic. My fiance and I are pretty sure we don't want kids... but if we ever change our minds, I don't want to ruin our chances either. Right now we're both VERY career oriented and we definately don't want a baby in the mix.... I haven't had much luck on other hormonal methods of birth control either. And I'm afraid a condom will break and that other types of contraceptives just aren't as reliable.

Shannon
  • jessieinblue
    jessieinblue Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Your concerns make sense, but you may want to do some research on the connections between hormonal birth control, migraines and strokes.

Good luck, hope things work out.
  • helenamonks
    Options
    Ive been using the nuva ring for 4 months and I love it, I actually had headaches BEFORE I started the birth control. I can't take any of the pill forms b/c they make me sick and i forget too often, but the only down fall with the nuva ring is that my husband can feel it.
  • apriljackss
    apriljackss Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I know I'm really late to the party on this one but I thought I'd share my experience for anyone who stumbles across this thread like I just did. I've been using the NuvaRing for over a year and a half now. Initially I liked that it is obviously so low maintenance, no taking the risk of missing a pill or worrying about taking something the same time everyday. Plus, the pills I had tried were either too weak to regulate my cycle or made me so nauseous I couldn't function. It's also worth noting that the primary reason I am on hormonal birth control is for treatment of PCOS. From the start the NuvaRing gave me night sweats, sometimes so bad I would litterally wake up in a puddle, with the feeling that I was suffocating. I could handle that because it wasn't every night. THe past few months though every week BEFORE I take the ring out (usually take it out on the last Friday of every month) I wake up with migraines that last almost all day, clearing up just before bed, only to start again the next day. I also have started getting horrible cystic acne on my face the few days leading up to taking the ring out. I've never had this problem before. The pimples are huge and never come to a head so they take weeks and sometimes months to fully heal, when they do they leave behind horrible red spots. Also, my boyfriend and I can both feel it during sex, which means that every time I am taking it out before and replacing it after. This is annoying and seems somewhat unsanitary. It actually deters me from wanting to just so I don't have to mess with it. Another drawback is that even with insurance it costs me $70 a month and with Obama's Affordable Care Act, I see no reason to continue to pay that when I can get on something generic and get it for free. I've called my doctor to switch back to a low dose pill. I just hope it doesn't make me nauseous and that it regulates my cycle. Good luck, ladies! Every one's body is different, there is no right answer for everyone, somethings work for you but might not for others and vice versa.
  • perfekta
    perfekta Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Long time migraine sufferer here. It's probably the estrogen in the Nuvaring. When you take it out, it's the change in hormones causing the headaches. I've had the copper IUD, that was the only thing that didn't give me headaches, but it moved and I had to get it removed (nightmare). The birth control with just progesterone is supposed to be better for not causing headaches, but it also causes big time weight gain, soooo, haven't tried that out yet. If it's causing you headaches, I'd get off it, pronto. My first doctor tried telling me it wasn't from the birth control pills, and to give it time. After four months of headaches, I finally gave up. Hope you find something that works and won't make you feel bad. Good luck.
  • islae2010
    islae2010 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I had this issue with birth control - it was the estrogen. Turns out I am one of those people who shouldn't be on combination birth control methods. My doctor immediately took me off of it after I lost vision during a migraine before my period. If I were you, I would get off of it, immediately.
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    i've been using it for years and not had any headache problems.
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    Okay, so...maybe I'm wrong, but your profile picture looks kinda like a sonogram.

If you're pregnant, you should know that your Nuvaring isn't working, which means you have problems bigger than headaches.
  • Docmahi
    Docmahi Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of someone getting migraines from the nuvaring before - but honestly crazy things trigger migraines in people so its not that outlandish to hear.

It sounds like you really like it as a form of contraception - and you have tried many other BC options, I would try and get on some sort of pain control regiment prior to your period, maybe like someone else suggested try an analgesic a few days before your cycle starts. you can also try a little extra caffeine on your period - the vasoconstrictive effect of caffeine will calm a lot of headaches.

just my 2cents
  • HotAshMess
    HotAshMess Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I loved the Nuvaring. But I was getting migraines and because we thought that might be it....we tried the pill because I hate cycling. I would ask your provider about cycling before switching if you like it.

Also.....when I get a migraine I take exedrine migraine with benadryl and take a nap. The benadryl seems to "reset" me and help out. Hope this helps.
  • Docmahi
    Docmahi Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    I am not a doctor, and I don't mean to be inflammatory, but if you are concerned about your health and you are getting these migraines, it sounds like you need to cease using the birth control. There are many health risks associated with hormonal birth control: blood clots, embolisms, infections, and strokes, among others. I don't mean to suggest that every woman or even most women who use birth control will experience these things, but the migraines suggest that you are at risk of stroke.

migraines are in no way an indicator that you are susceptible to stroke
  • believe22
    believe22 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Okay, so...maybe I'm wrong, but your profile picture looks kinda like a sonogram.

This!