weighing bananas

Options
2»

Replies

• sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    Weigh it with the peel off.

Only weigh the edible portion of all foods.

I actually don't do whole fruits by weight. Medium Banana - close enough. Like an apple - is there anyone who would actually take the time to weigh an apple, eat it, then weigh the core, then do math? Yeef ..
    I don't know, but there's at least one person who quarters them, cuts off the seeds, and weighs what he's going to eat. I also take grapes off the stem before I weigh them.

I can't be bothered to do that - but we all gotta do this the way that works for us.
    No one asked you to.

You must be fun at cocktail parties ..
  • SpecialKitty7
    SpecialKitty7 Posts: 678 Member
    Options

I actually don't do whole fruits by weight. Medium Banana - close enough. Like an apple - is there anyone who would actually take the time to weigh an apple, eat it, then weigh the core, then do math? Yeef ..

<--guilty
  • eomuno215in541
    eomuno215in541 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    MFP dbase says a medium banana is 100 calories. That's high-ish for a fruit. But I'd weight with skin off, since I'm not eating the skin most days, if I weigh it.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options

I've had bananas that are 95 grams and bananas that are 140 grams. That's quite a difference if you aren't weighing. Also I have an apple slicer that takes at most ten seconds to run through the apple.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options

I don't know, but there's at least one person who quarters them, cuts off the seeds, and weighs what he's going to eat. I also take grapes off the stem before I weigh them.

I can't be bothered to do that - but we all gotta do this the way that works for us.
    No one asked you to.

No less fun that someone who needs to point out that s/he can't be bothered to take 15 seconds to cut up an apple and mocks those who do.
  • GuyIncognito123
    GuyIncognito123 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    It's like getting to the point of eating an apple then weighing the core. I really don't want to be that guy.

I'm that guy.
  • sparklefrogz
    sparklefrogz Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I don't bother weighing them .... that is just obsessive. Never did .. never will. Fruit and veggies are pretty safe .. they are not usually the reason we have weight loss issues.

But .. to answer your ? ... I agree with the above, unless you intend on eating that peel do not weigh it.
    How do the calories found in bananas count for any more or less then the calories found in any other food? If you bother to weigh everything else why would you not weigh bananas?

Not the OP here, but some people are working with large enough deficits they can afford to only weigh calorie dense items. (I'm not one of those people, but I kind of wish I was. It's much less of a hassle than weighing everything.) Why be more detailed and have tracking take up more of your life than it has to?

Another poster mentioned a history of ED. That'd be a pretty good reason to put some severe limits on what you measure/weigh IMO too.

Finally, some people are more focused on improving their nutrition than weight loss, so I can see how they might find counting and thus restricting fruits and veg counterproductive for that.
  • lintino
    lintino Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    I like bananas!!!
  • Supertact
    Supertact Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    This goes in the top 10 stupidest threads.
  • DeguelloTex
    Options
    This goes in the top 10 stupidest threads.
    You're excluding DancesWithWOW from consideration?
  • shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    thanks I can't find calories for it. it was waitrose banana and is 93g without skin. In food diary it only gives me a choice of 100g?

How would I work out its calories for 93g?

Thanks
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options

No one asked you to.

No less fun that someone who needs to point out that s/he can't be bothered to take 15 seconds to cut up an apple and mocks those who do.

That second part never happened, though.
  • Mauthos
    Mauthos Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    thanks I can't find calories for it. it was waitrose banana and is 93g without skin. In food diary it only gives me a choice of 100g?

How would I work out its calories for 93g?

Thanks

If the option is 1.0 serving of the banana = 100g, then change the 1.0 to 0.93 which will give you your 93g before you submit it to your diary. Hope that helps.
  • Karababy51
    Karababy51 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I weigh my bananas without the skin. Apples I slice up and weigh sans core, stem, etc. & grapes I weigh sans stems as well. I always try to weigh only what I'm actually going to consume. The only thing I haven't done this with is steak. I just go by the package weight. BUT, I've seriously considered weighing the leftover bone and fat I didn't eat afterward. Haven't yet, but I might in the future. When I first starting counting calories last September, I was more lax and would just use the generic option of 1 banana = 100 grams. Overtime though, I've tried to be more precise with my diary entries for everything. I have a smaller deficit now, so it gives me more calories to work with by being as accurate as possible.
  • shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    Thanks I didn't know that about doing 0.93.. maths was never my strong point!!
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself before and after I eat the banana and subtract.

I'm kidding. I don't weigh much food anymore. If my losses are slower than expected I'll re-tighten that noose or I'll reduce my calorie goal, knowing I'm overestimating.

I think the database values in grams are referring to a gram of banana 'meat', not 'meat + peel'. I'm pretty sure they just burn X grams of the edible part in labs where they test food for caloric value. We did a peanut in junior high (nut only, no shell).
  • DeguelloTex
    Options

No one asked you to.

That second part never happened, though.
    "Like an apple - is there anyone who would actually take the time to weigh an apple, eat it, then weigh the core, then do math? Yeef .."

Yeah, that's not dismissive or condescending at all, right. That's mocking in my book.