LADIES: Skipping exercise for that time of the month?

Options

Replies

• Sherbear1109
    Sherbear1109 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Exercise tends to ease the cramping (if you have that, I was blessed and never have experienced cramps and only a two day period since I was 12 but have many female running partners who do ) and bleeding of menstruation. There's no reason not to exercise.

Oh my gosh, I hate you. Not literally, I'm just jealous. Lol I get to enjoy being in the lucky group of women who have crippling pain and long periods. :-P Come on menopause.
  • joolywooly33
    joolywooly33 Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I find it actually helps with pains etc......just do lower impact and you will be fine!
  • nicolemviolette
    nicolemviolette Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    They don't make "sport" brand pads & tampons for nothin! :))

I think you will regret NOT working out if you skip it just because your on your period. Sometimes for me, I bloat for a week and gain like a pound, then drop a few pounds randomly when the week is up! I like to think the fact that I keep exercising the whole time like I normally would helps with that. Push yourself ! :)
  • WonkaCat
    WonkaCat Posts: 42
    Options
    I don't see anything wrong with taking a couple of days off from exercise at your TOM. I do, because I get horrible cramps and exhaustion. Working out does not help me with it; I wish it did. Since I only work out 5 days a week, I just use the first couple of days of the TOM as my rest days and feel no guilt whatsoever.
  • earthboundmisfit
    earthboundmisfit Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    After I started doing yoga on a daily basis, I found that my T.O.M. was much easier to get through. I think yoga helps me relax my muscles all over. Just a thought.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I pop some advil and get going.
  • fejiofor
    fejiofor Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I PUT IN EXTRA EFFORT DURING MY PERIOD BECAUSE I NOTICED AM HEAVIER THAN AND LOSE MORE WEIGHT DURING THAT TIME. SECONDLY THE EXERCISES EASE THE PAINS AND ALLOWS THE PERIOD TO END QUICKER.
  • CanadaChick74
    CanadaChick74 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    My high school gym teacher always told us that exercise was actually good during PMS/your cycle. That wasn't the answer I was looking for when I was trying to get out of gym class. Ha ha
  • endermako
    endermako Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I still work out during mine. Doesn't really change how I feel about the gym
  • dawnmitchell6766
    dawnmitchell6766 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Many years ago I was told that doing situps/crunches would actually help with the cramping. I tried it and it does in fact help. It has to do with the abs contracting and working and then when you're finished they relax - hence, less cramping. Give it a shot it may work for you as well.
  • fairygirlpie9
    fairygirlpie9 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I still workout but I'm considerably weaker than when I don't have TOM. On Monday which was day 1 I nearly passed out after doing a stint on my cross trainer. I think my dog thought I was going to die! My body went all funny as if I was drunk and I couldn't co-ordinate, I had to stay in a four legged position without moving for at least 15 minutes. I also exercised yesterday which was Day 4 and on Tuesday - I actually think it shortened the length of my period and it certainly helped me feel less bloated and reduced my cravings. So I would say still exercise but do less taxing activity if it weakens you.
  • LessHeavyVeggie
    LessHeavyVeggie Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I'm currently in that situation. I tried to go for a 5k run on weds and my legs were really heavy and my cramps were unbelievable - started feeling dizzy so went home (I wasn't about to pass out, but I knew it wasn't going to improve). So yesterday and today I've gone for a gentle walk and am just going to wait it out until my womb doesn't feel like it's trying to punch it's way out! It's also pretty hot and sunny at the moment so I don't think that helped!

Do what you feel you're up to but don't get disappointed if you're weaker/uncoordinated - it happens!
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    Take a Midol and just do it. We all have periods - it's not an excuse to not work out. I've got mine now and this was my heaviest week for lifting this month. I did just fine. No excuses - you either want it or you don't.
  • JeralynSh
    JeralynSh Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    For me, I've found that keeping up the exercise actually helps get rid of the bloating and cramps. But everyone is different. Experiment and see what works for you. Hang in there.
  • focusedonfitness2015
    focusedonfitness2015 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Take a Midol and just do it. We all have periods - it's not an excuse to not work out. I've got mine now and this was my heaviest week for lifting this month. I did just fine. No excuses - you either want it or you don't.

Agreed! I popped 2 ibuprofen and hit the gym. Felt sooooo much better afterwards. Not an excuse to not work out
  • ladybird89
    ladybird89 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I definitely have to sit the first couple days out, but after that I can usually handle light exercise. My advice is to listen to your body. If it needs rest, then rest. Not exercising for a couple days will not ruin your diet. Just make sure to adjust your calories.
  • tjphelps73
    tjphelps73 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    After 3+ years of my lifestyle change I will tell you, I do not miss working out. TOM is just another day, week, etc. I do take three aleve in the morning and in the evening during this week. My gyn suggested this years ago because my cramps were so bad. I sweat as much during this week as I do any other week. Yes, I am tired, sluggish, crabby, etc. but after a good 45 min workout, I feel better and so does my body. My calories do change during this week. I no longer restrict calories as much as I used to during this week. The bloating is not going away, the cramps will still come around, and at the end of the day I refuse to let TOM take over any of my precious time in life.

Happy Exercising!
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    Options
    As long as you're eating at a deficit, it won't matter. Exercise is for fitness, not weight loss.

This^
  • mrsdmiller74
    mrsdmiller74 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    usually the second day is the worst for me, and I do something that is not hard on me like walking or I do the bikes. I also don't drink as much water as i normally do until i go home. 1 bottle of water while i am on my period for the first and second day has me going to the bathroom all day long while i am at work.
  • Nataliea87
    Nataliea87 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I have awful, awful periods. Lots of pain, nausea, sometimes I even black out. I'm on a few medications to try and manage the symptoms, if nothing else.

The first day is always the worst, but I've found the best cure for the following days is actually yoga! I try to stay away from the highly intensive classes, but working up a light sweat, stretching and breathing does wonders to melt away the pain. I'd recommend giving it a try! I always feel amazing afterwards, because it's usually the first time that I'm truly not "bothered" by my pain, and feel like I can function again :)