Is it OK to skip breakfast?

Options
1235»

Replies

• 40puddlejumper
    40puddlejumper Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    people say its the most important meal of the day but the most I can manage early in a morning is a cup of coffee. I get up at 6am and i'm out of the house by 6:30 at the latest. I don't usually start even feeling hungry until mid afternoon. I do find that if I am at home all day I DO eat breakfast and especially when I am away on holiday!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I have actually recently talked to my personal trainer about this topic. You should be eating breakfast, lunch and dinner and even a couple of healthy snacks in between your meals. When you're exercising your body burns calories, those calories come from the food you put into your body. If you haven't eaten, your body is using your fat as energy, which slows down your metabolism. Low metabolism = Less fat loss. See, if your body is using your fat for energy, it's holding all of your fat because it thinks it's in starvation mode and it doesn't know when you might eat again.
    As I said, I'm not just making all of this up. I asked my trainer about it and she explained all of this to me. :)

Your personal trainer is talking absolute twaddle.

The logic is wrong, so wrong. Ask them how you lose body fat if it is not used for energy. How can your body use fat but hold onto it at the same time?
  • teenie_71
    teenie_71 Posts: 44
    Options
    it doesnt matter what time of day you eat or how many meals you eat in a day. I dont usually eat breakfast either. Sometimes lunch is breakfast
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    No, it is not OK to skip breakfast. If you do, then in about 6 weeks, your metabolism will stop completely.
    So what you're saying is that after 6 weeks the person will die? Because that's what will happen if your metabolism stops.

I wonder why I'm not dead. Why didn't I die?

He/She is just making a play on the origin of the word "break-fast" rather than using the definition of the word.

And he/she is still incorrect about death happening in six weeks.

There are scores of people who have survived without "break-fast" for six weeks and didn't die.

I'll take your word for it. I have no idea how long it takes someone to die without eating anything at all.
    It obviously depends on how much fat and lean mass your body has to spare.
  • SweetJoanne
    SweetJoanne Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I am never hungry first thing but I have got in the habit of making a morning shake throw in veggis and fruit and some hemp milk, it is delicious and so quick, you should try and have something. Also I have lemon water hot
  • redversustheblue
    redversustheblue Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    I have actually recently talked to my personal trainer about this topic. You should be eating breakfast, lunch and dinner and even a couple of healthy snacks in between your meals. When you're exercising your body burns calories, those calories come from the food you put into your body. If you haven't eaten, your body is using your fat as energy, which slows down your metabolism. Low metabolism = Less fat loss. See, if your body is using your fat for energy, it's holding all of your fat because it thinks it's in starvation mode and it doesn't know when you might eat again.
    As I said, I'm not just making all of this up. I asked my trainer about it and she explained all of this to me. :)

Sigh.