Alcoholism

Options
chrs86
chrs86 Posts: 151 Member
Every time I reach my weight goals I start drinking again. Quit for one or two months and lose 20-30lbs then start binging again. My problem is instead of normal people with food I turn back to alcohol. Any ideas how I can get past the cravings and stick to a healthy lifestyle when I reach my goal weight again? What does/ doesn't work for you guys?

Replies

• strbryt
    strbryt Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    I have never had an issue with alcohol but I just wanted to tell you good job at losing the weight. Have you thought about looking into getting some type of help? An outpatient program or AA or something? I am sure there are several programs out there that could help you. Good luck with all your doing and going through.
  • Grumpybearthatneedsanap
    Options
    Have you thought about going to some A A meetings or some councilling of some sort?
  • jmattingly01
    jmattingly01 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Have you thought about going to some A A meetings or some councilling of some sort?

^^This^^

Alcoholism is nothing to scoff at. Especially alcohol binges, as they can lead to full-time heavy alcoholism over time. I hope you take his advice and seek counselling. I've almost lost several people in my life due to alcoholism, and have watched soo many people spiral downward because of it. I've even had my fair share of problems in the past because of it. Good luck, I hope you recover fully from this terrible addiction and continue to meet your goals.
  • Cindyloo01
    Cindyloo01 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    You could try some of the lower calorie drinks. I like rum and diet coke and they aren't too high calorie.
  • jsalzat
    jsalzat Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I tried to quit over and over again and would always end up going back until I began regularly attending alcoholism support groups. Some people can quit without support, but I've found that without regular attendance at meetings the tendency to go back to old patterns is too strong. It's been working for me for over five years now, with the added benefit of meeting so many wonderful, genuine people who are also on the same path. Living without alcohol has been the most satisfying time of my life.
  • SugarFreePanda
    SugarFreePanda Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I tried to quit over and over again and would always end up going back until I began regularly attending alcoholism support groups. Some people can quit without support, but I've found that without regular attendance at meetings the tendency to go back to old patterns is too strong. It's been working for me for over five years now, with the added benefit of meeting so many wonderful, genuine people who are also on the same path. Living without alcohol has been the most satisfying time of my life.

I agree. I am currently involved in a 12 step program and am so grateful to have the "tools" to work through a current medical issue that, left untreated, could lead a person (potentially) back to the bottle.

We oftentimes hear of "substituting one bad habit for another". OP, I am glad you posted your honest concerns. Feel free to add me to your friend list, if you want to talk more.

PS...Speaking of being honest... I noticed your post while I was contemplating "making amends/confessing" on my MFP diary about my horrible eating this evening. Thought "maybe I won't write all my cals down tonight. Like that will matter as far as the intake goes. It will only mess me up emotionally, if I don't stay honest about my food intake.

I am glad tomorrow is a new day. Get to restart again.
  • ecphillips1286
    ecphillips1286 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    You could try some of the lower calorie drinks. I like rum and diet coke and they aren't too high calorie.

The question isn't how to keep drinking and avoid calories. Its how to get rid of the cravings and stop going back to it. This comment is avoiding the problem.

All I can say is mind over matter. Be strong and if you need any kind of support DO NOT feel ashamed in asking for it. As stated earlier... some people can do it on their own and others need a little push with AA and other groups. I wish the best of luck to you and the other people that have suffered and are suffering from this kind of thing (myself included)
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    "Alcoholism is a chronic and often progressive disease that includes problems controlling your drinking, being preoccupied with alcohol, continuing to use alcohol even when it causes problems, having to drink more to get the same effect (physical dependence), or having withdrawal symptoms when you rapidly decrease or stop drinking. If you have alcoholism, you can't consistently predict how much you'll drink, how long you'll drink, or what consequences will occur from your drinking.

It's possible to have a problem with alcohol, even when it has not progressed to the point of alcoholism. Problem drinking means you drink too much at times, causing repeated problems in your life, although you're not completely dependent on alcohol.

Binge drinking — a pattern of drinking where a male consumes five or more drinks in a row, or a female downs at least four drinks in a row — can lead to the same health risks and social problems associated with alcoholism. The more you drink, the greater the risks. Binge drinking, which often occurs with teenagers and young adults, may lead to faster development of alcoholism."

Just because you don't drink everyday and quit for periods of time, does not mean you have any less of a problem. PLease seek help.

ETA: IT IS NOT MIND OVER MATTER. It is an addiction. If it were as simple as that, there would be no need for AA. Sorry, ut this mode of thinking really burns my biscuits. Every client who has ever stepped into my office and said "please god help me stop" has WANTED to stop. Delirium tremens (DTs) can kill a person. Is that mind over matter?
  • BramageOMG
    BramageOMG Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    ^ +1

Find a local AA group, walk in and introduce yourself.
  • bubbly_charm2k9
    bubbly_charm2k9 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    In my opinion , If ever you hit your goal again... don't stop tracking your food intake .. You can drink but in a moderate way :drinker:

65725604.png
  • Dwamma
    Dwamma Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    "Alcoholism is a chronic and often progressive disease that includes problems controlling your drinking, being preoccupied with alcohol, continuing to use alcohol even when it causes problems, having to drink more to get the same effect (physical dependence), or having withdrawal symptoms when you rapidly decrease or stop drinking. If you have alcoholism, you can't consistently predict how much you'll drink, how long you'll drink, or what consequences will occur from your drinking.

Please take care of your self and seek help! AA does wonders, I know many in AA and it has been life changing. Breaking the pattern is the hardest..but with help and support you can do it!

Praying for you!
  • margannmks
    margannmks Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Im the wife of an alcoholic, ive lost two dear friends to liver disease caused by drinking .Please get help, your not fun to be around.
  • redheaddee
    Options
    In my opinion , If ever you hit your goal again... don't stop tracking your food intake .. You can drink but in a moderate way :drinker:

I disagree. Based on the little information presented, this person needs to not drink at all. There is no such thing as moderation for an addict. One is too many and never enough. Please do not encourage this.
  • ecphillips1286
    Options

It's possible to have a problem with alcohol, even when it has not progressed to the point of alcoholism. Problem drinking means you drink too much at times, causing repeated problems in your life, although you're not completely dependent on alcohol.

Binge drinking — a pattern of drinking where a male consumes five or more drinks in a row, or a female downs at least four drinks in a row — can lead to the same health risks and social problems associated with alcoholism. The more you drink, the greater the risks. Binge drinking, which often occurs with teenagers and young adults, may lead to faster development of alcoholism."

Just because you don't drink everyday and quit for periods of time, does not mean you have any less of a problem. PLease seek help.

ETA: IT IS NOT MIND OVER MATTER. It is an addiction. If it were as simple as that, there would be no need for AA. Sorry, ut this mode of thinking really burns my biscuits. Every client who has ever stepped into my office and said "please god help me stop" has WANTED to stop. Delirium tremens (DTs) can kill a person. Is that mind over matter?

I completely agree. You obviously read over the part where I mentioned I am dealing with the same situation. The OP said they are able to stop drinking to lose the weight and then once the weight is gone they go back to drinking so to answer your question yes in that case it is mind over matter. OP obviously isn't having DTs. All I am saying is having the determination to do so as well as a strong support system goes a long way. if there is no will power to stop then it obviously wont. you twisted what I said and meant all due to you reading a Phrase that "burns your biscuits' .
  • redheaddee
    Options

ETA: IT IS NOT MIND OVER MATTER. It is an addiction. If it were as simple as that, there would be no need for AA. Sorry, but this mode of thinking really burns my biscuits. Every client who has ever stepped into my office and said "please god help me stop" has WANTED to stop. Delirium tremens (DTs) can kill a person. Is that mind over matter?

I completely agree. You obviously read over the part where I mentioned I am dealing with the same situation. The OP said they are able to stop drinking to lose the weight and then once the weight is gone they go back to drinking so to answer your question yes in that case it is mind over matter. OP obviously isn't having DTs. All I am saying is having the determination to do so as well as a strong support system goes a long way. if there is no will power to stop then it obviously wont. you twisted what I said and meant all due to you reading a Phrase that "burns your biscuits' .

Nope, read the whole thing. Still mean exactly what I wrote. Too many times I have heard people use that d@mn phrase..."if XX wanted it bad enough they would just quit, after all it's just mind over matter"...which results in the addict feeling helpless/hopeless/worthless, pulling away from the people who do support them, refusing or being afraid to ask for help. I do not and never will condone that line of thinking. I have seen the destructive power of the thinking that comes with that phrase.
  • ecphillips1286
    Options
    Once again.....All I am saying is having the determination to do so as well as a strong support system goes a long way. if there is no will power to stop then it obviously wont. Pretty sure I am agreeing with not doing it alone. Best of luck OP
  • KameHameHaaaa
    KameHameHaaaa Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    I've dealt with addictions most of my life. I've never been to NA or AA, I know a lot of people it has helped though. I have a problem with insomnia, so I used to drink until I passed out. When I eventually blimped up to over 400 lbs, I hired a personal trainer who had me do a food/drink diary for a week and I realized 80 percent of my cals for that week came from alcohol and chasers. I quit cold turkey. But then I started having sleeping problems again. Soooo I started smoking because I found it helped me sleep. I really just replaced one addiction with another. That didn't work because eventually I'd either stay awake and have munchies and binge eat 5000 cals in one sitting, or I'd fall asleep and wake up again at some point and eat or wouldn't be able to fall back asleep without smoking. Both drinking and smoking were also expensive habits. It's been over a year now since I've binge drank, and a little over a month since I've smoked. My insomnia is worse than it's been in awhile. I wish I had something to tell you to help you. All I can say is the alcohol is really bad for you in large amounts like that, if you need a support system then maybe you should try out something like AA. I nearly lost a friend due to cirrhosis, he was on the waiting list for a donor for so long we really thought he wasn't going to make it =/ The only thing that keeps me from drinking and smoking personally is I know I won't get healthy and lost weight or keep weight off if I keep drinking/smoking. I'll take the insomnia over being this obese and miserable.
  • Keasteregg
    Keasteregg Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Every time I reach my weight goals I start drinking again. Quit for one or two months and lose 20-30lbs then start binging again. My problem is instead of normal people with food I turn back to alcohol. Any ideas how I can get past the cravings and stick to a healthy lifestyle when I reach my goal weight again? What does/ doesn't work for you guys?

I would be interested to learn how people get past the cravings as well. My problem is I love my red wine!!
  • DaveDeLange
    Options

I disagree. Based on the little information presented, this person needs to not drink at all. There is no such thing as moderation for an addict. One is too many and never enough. Please do not encourage this.

Not always. Many people (including myself) can change from alcoholism to "normal" drinking.
  • DaveDeLange
    Options

I would be interested to learn how people get past the cravings as well. My problem is I love my red wine!!

I stopped drinking for six months altogether. The cravings soon pass - it helps to find some other, more productive things to do in your spare time. In my case it was exercise.

That was nine years ago. Since then I have probably drank about once a month, although in the last few years it is more like three times a year! The hangovers are just not worth it.