My 14yo daughter

Options
13»

Replies

• ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    yes, a protein powder should be fine however I STRONGLY recommend one that has plant based protein and no hormones as she is still prepubescent and would not want to upset them I recommend PerfectFit from toneitup.com certified organic all natural plant protein and as she is training and burning more calories I would mix them with fortied milk such as vit d and things such as a banana and some pb2
    What hormones do you imagine they put in protein powder?
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I was thinking of adding the protein powder to her morning smoothie. She is not a breakfast person but school puts such demands on at her age that I encourage (not force, encourage) her to at least eat yogurt and fruit, etc. She really likes smoothies, so it would be easy :)

Thanks for the input and wish me luck, I am about to graduate LPN school.

I don't see why this wouldn't be a good thing. She'll be getting extra protein in the morning. Check the added vitamins in the protein powder - the only one I've had that specifically said it was not suitable for children had a lot of added iron. Once she starts menstruating, the iron would probably do her good anyway, especially if she's vegetarian. People who aren't menstruating don't need so much iron, and too much iron in the diet can be toxic... but for menstruating women who are vegetarian the bigger danger is not enough iron. And not all protein powders have added vitamins or minerals anyway. But do check what's added in case there's something added that's not suitable for an adolescent.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    yes, a protein powder should be fine however I STRONGLY recommend one that has plant based protein and no hormones as she is still prepubescent and would not want to upset them I recommend PerfectFit from toneitup.com certified organic all natural plant protein and as she is training and burning more calories I would mix them with fortied milk such as vit d and things such as a banana and some pb2

whey protein isolate (the most commonly used protein powder) is the protein from milk... so what do you think will be in that which won't be in fortified milk? Protein powder is pretty much the same as fortified milk, but without the fat and carbohydrate.
  • imaginaryplant
    imaginaryplant Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Hello,

I was a lacto-ovo vegetarian at age 13. Recently my 14 year old daughter and I both have considered being vegetarian again, I was vegan also for 5 years of my life and my daughter was raised vegan for 5 years and she was a premature baby. There are ways to do a wonderful job with it. My daughter excelled on a vegan diet from birth, she was 2.5 months early, but being vegan did not hold her back, and in some ways, we feel that she is healthier now because of it. She's a gifted student, been reading chapter books since she was 4, she's never had any sort of weight issues, she's very tall like you're daughter and still growing.

The biggest thing to remember is to mix certain proteins. It's helpful to eat brown rice with beans, if she's going to eat eggs, that's great for protein. Even though she is going to eat dairy, still, using Nutritional Yeast to make faux cheese sauces, or sprinkling Nutritional Yeast on stuff gives it a very yummy taste, but is also chock full of B12. Nuts, seeds and legumes are your friend. If she feels the need for protein powder, then by all means do it, but it's not necessary, especially if she's eating fish. Fish will supplement any nutrients she might need from meat. Most of the world eats vegetarian with fish (Most Asian Countries).

Good for you for allowing her to make her own choices, and good for her for taking this step for herself.

There are sooo many books that can help, How it All Vegan is a wonderful one, I realize she wont be vegan, but they have some awesome recipes and there are also books about raising vegetarian/vegan kids the most healthy way possible.

Good Luck!
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    Yes, plenty of fish, eggs, and dairy, and supplement with protein powder. My youngest is only 4, very active, and it's already difficult for us to get enough protein in her because she loves eating veggies and other carbs, so we supplement with shakes. Not a big deal. Ignore the chicken littles on here as your girl is active and athletic, which is what we should be pushing for our kids.
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    OP, I don't think I broke 100 pounds when I was 14, and I'm relatively tall. I was 5'5" at her age, 5'7" now. Your daughter is a healthy weight for her age. Yes, she can have protein powder. It's a food, plain and simple.

You have a genetically blessed daughter. Let her become vegetarian if it makes her happy.
  • bergpa
    bergpa Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to say that I also have a 14 year old daughter who is not much of a meat eater - I think it is kind of normal at this age, especially if they like animals. We've never tried protein shakes, but we have found some fairly decent protein bars that she likes. She also is not a big breakfast eater so sometimes she'll have one of those.
  • suremeansyes
    suremeansyes Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    I started giving my daughter protein smoothies when she was about 12 during her sport seasons. She hadn't given up meat, but just definitely was not eating enough of it, and protein in general. She loved smoothies though, so I would make a shake of plain whey protein, chocolate almond milk and a banana. I would mix the plain whey into fruit smoothies with milk and oj too.

She takes Clif bars to practice too, she eats half before and the other half after. They sell them under $1 a piece at Target.

My daughter was always in the low percentiles too for her weight, but it's been about 18 months post-first period and she has gotten a much more womanly shape. She just actually moved into adult sizes for jeans about 1 month ago.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I'm a nurse, not well-versed in pediatrics, but I thought I'd throw this out there - what about a supplemental protein shake in the form of Boost or Ensure? Sure, I mostly tout the benefits of those to my geriatric patients that aren't really eating anymore or are on a soft/pureed diet and need extra protein and/or calories, but it's a good way to supplement daily intake. A lot of my patients like to blend a chocolate Ensure or Boost with peanut butter and a banana. Meal in a cup!

I personally like Syntha-6 protein powder, or for my own weight-loss goals the GNC Lean Burn (30g protein/170cals).

I agree with some of the other posters - check with her pediatrician for the best advice. And I'm not a huge meat-eater either, although growing up in the Midwest, I can't pass up a good steak! I've never even liked eggs - I've had an aversion ever since my dad jokingly told me they were baby chickens that never had a chance. :)

Good luck to your daughter! I tried out for VB when I was in high school, but sadly, they don't really like to pick people who are 5'0. So I got into running!!

Well, in regards to the Ensure..for 210 cals you get 25g of protein. For 2 scoops of Optimum Nutrition Gold Whey Isolate Protein Powder, its 240 cals but for 48g of protein.

Depending on budget, protein powder might be cheaper overall, especially as you can add protein powder to a variety of foods aside from just drinking it (oatmeal, cookies, muffins, etc).
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    This needs monitoring as this is exactly how eating disorders begin and having worked in that field for over 12 years have witnessed it far too often. She is already a low weight for her height.

Who the heck are you to say she is getting started on an eating disorder? She eats a wide variety of foods and has grown rapidly. BMI is calculate somewhat differently for children than for adults and her BMI is 17.7 which puts her in the 26th percentile for her height and weight. I did not say she wanted to lose weight, in fact, I said the exact opposite, in that she wants to gain muscle.

What is wrong with you?

I don't think she necessarily meant that not eating meat led to eating disorders. I think she might be referring to your daughter having been selected for an athletic team where she will be expected to participate in training sessions with coaches, and misinterpreted "weight based" training as having to do with your daughter's scale weight and not the lifting heavy things variety. She says she works in the field, so I imagine she does see lots of young people who are involved in sports that involve making a certain weight who have eating disorders, which is why her mind went to that when she saw "weight based."
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    I started giving my daughter protein smoothies when she was about 12 during her sport seasons. She hadn't given up meat, but just definitely was not eating enough of it, and protein in general. She loved smoothies though, so I would make a shake of plain whey protein, chocolate almond milk and a banana. I would mix the plain whey into fruit smoothies with milk and oj too.

She takes Clif bars to practice too, she eats half before and the other half after. They sell them under $1 a piece at Target.

My daughter was always in the low percentiles too for her weight, but it's been about 18 months post-first period and she has gotten a much more womanly shape. She just actually moved into adult sizes for jeans about 1 month ago.

Yes, I fully expect her shape to change gradually once she finally begins menses. Given how fun that has been for me for the past 21 yrs, the longer (within normal healthy range) that it holds off, the better.

And my kids have eaten Clif bars for years! They're not super protein dense, but better than a regular old granola bar in that aspect.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    Options
    This needs monitoring as this is exactly how eating disorders begin and having worked in that field for over 12 years have witnessed it far too often. She is already a low weight for her height.

Who the heck are you to say she is getting started on an eating disorder? She eats a wide variety of foods and has grown rapidly. BMI is calculate somewhat differently for children than for adults and her BMI is 17.7 which puts her in the 26th percentile for her height and weight. I did not say she wanted to lose weight, in fact, I said the exact opposite, in that she wants to gain muscle.

What is wrong with you?

I don't think she necessarily meant that not eating meat led to eating disorders. I think she might be referring to your daughter having been selected for an athletic team where she will be expected to participate in training sessions with coaches, and misinterpreted "weight based" training as having to do with your daughter's scale weight and not the lifting heavy things variety. She says she works in the field, so I imagine she does see lots of young people who are involved in sports that involve making a certain weight who have eating disorders, which is why her mind went to that when she saw "weight based."

Hrm... perhaps. But that is quite the assumption to jump to. Her weight is not at issue, it was just given as background.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    Options
    I'm a nurse, not well-versed in pediatrics, but I thought I'd throw this out there - what about a supplemental protein shake in the form of Boost or Ensure? Sure, I mostly tout the benefits of those to my geriatric patients that aren't really eating anymore or are on a soft/pureed diet and need extra protein and/or calories, but it's a good way to supplement daily intake. A lot of my patients like to blend a chocolate Ensure or Boost with peanut butter and a banana. Meal in a cup!

I personally like Syntha-6 protein powder, or for my own weight-loss goals the GNC Lean Burn (30g protein/170cals).

I agree with some of the other posters - check with her pediatrician for the best advice. And I'm not a huge meat-eater either, although growing up in the Midwest, I can't pass up a good steak! I've never even liked eggs - I've had an aversion ever since my dad jokingly told me they were baby chickens that never had a chance. :)

Good luck to your daughter! I tried out for VB when I was in high school, but sadly, they don't really like to pick people who are 5'0. So I got into running!!

Well, in regards to the Ensure..for 210 cals you get 25g of protein. For 2 scoops of Optimum Nutrition Gold Whey Isolate Protein Powder, its 240 cals but for 48g of protein.

Depending on budget, protein powder might be cheaper overall, especially as you can add protein powder to a variety of foods aside from just drinking it (oatmeal, cookies, muffins, etc).

I already have Optimum Nutrition Gold Whey Isolate Protein Powder (both double chocolate and vanilla ice cream) in the house as I have recently started adding a half scoop or scoop a day to round out my own protein, trying to preserve -some- muscle mass as I lose weight. This is what prompted my question, heh. It would be super easy to throw a half scoop or scoop into a morning fruit and yogurt smoothie
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options

What is wrong with you?

Hrm... perhaps. But that is quite the assumption to jump to. Her weight is not at issue, it was just given as background.

I think it was a big assumption to jump to. Sometimes in the forums, some people do jump to that assumption when they are way off the mark. Some people just don't understand the variation in the size of people. But, when people do jump to that wrong conclusion, other people step in to correct it.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options

What is wrong with you?

You're upset that they may have jumped to an assumption while jumping to an assumption about what they meant rather than asking them to clarify.
  • jstavix
    jstavix Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    When my daughter decided not to eat meat anymore I talked to a nutritionist and she recommended a product called
    Spiru-tein protein powder. Alex drank that and liked it a lot. You can get it at any health food store and probably cheaper online too!
    One thing your daughter will probably have to be aware of is when she is low on protein, I am a vegetarian and I sometimes don't eat enough and my body actually craves it like crazy! A spoonful of peanut butter is always a quick source of it.
  • fullersun35
    fullersun35 Posts: 162 Member
    Options

What is wrong with you?

That is what I first thought when I read "weight based".....that they were weighing 14 yr olds to make sure they were within weight range.
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options

What is wrong with you?

That is what I first thought when I read "weight based".....that they were weighing 14 yr olds to make sure they were within weight range.

Why would a HS volleyball team have a weight limit.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    Options

What is wrong with you?

They don't, and if they did I'd be campaigning against it. I meant they were lifting weights, I suppose I should have said 'strength training'. Nobody is being weighed, lol. I only even know her weight because she had to have a physical for tryouts. :ohwell:
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options

What is wrong with you?

They don't, and if they did I'd be campaigning against it. I meant they were lifting weights, I suppose I should have said 'strength training'. Nobody is being weighed, lol. I only even know her weight because she had to have a physical for tryouts. :ohwell:

I knew that you meant weight lifting.