Are you weak without meat??

Options

Replies

• CupcakesMom2
    CupcakesMom2 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I do eat fish once a week (to get natural omegas) but no meat. For protein I also eat seeds and beans, for fat I eat nuts. I eat a ton of vegetables and salad. I eat some fruit (berry type fruit). I eat oatmeal and healthy carbs like quinoa (also has protein). And guess what look up vegetables, they have protein too although everyone always acts like they do not and no one believes me when I state this.

With this type of diet its important to take B12 and Omega 3.

And I feel better than I ever remember feeling in my life, I feel wonderful.

And I have found super yummy recipies for these ingredients, I wish I had made this change a long time ago.

PS. Elephants do not eat meat, look how big they get.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    I do eat fish once a week (to get natural omegas) but no meat. For protein I also eat seeds and beans, for fat I eat nuts. I eat a ton of vegetables and salad. I eat some fruit (berry type fruit). I eat oatmeal and healthy carbs like quinoa (also has protein). And guess what look up vegetables, they have protein too although everyone always acts like they do not and no one believes me when I state this.

With this type of diet its important to take B12 and Omega 3.

And I feel better than I ever remember feeling in my life, I feel wonderful.

And I have found super yummy recipies for these ingredients, I wish I had made this change a long time ago.

PS. Elephants do not eat meat, look how big they get.
    Yes, because the goal of any human diet is to look like an elephant. Strong logic
  • joepage612
    joepage612 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I havnt eaten meat in 25 years. It's not hard. there are plenty of vegetarian references and resources. MFP has a vegetarian-MFP group, too.
  • CupcakesMom2
    CupcakesMom2 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Yes, because the goal of any human diet is to look like an elephant. Strong logic

I didn't really think this required further explanation but I guess I'm wrong. I was showing that you don't need meat to grow. I am done responding to this portion of the thread.
  • BoatsnHose
    BoatsnHose Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I trust that all you vegans don't go around sporting iphones and nike shoes, because humans are getting exploited much worse to make these products than a cow getting milked is exploited.
  • amanda_louise27
    Options
    I have been a vegetarian for just over 2 years now. I don't find that I am weaker than people who do eat meat (not that I consider myself very strong, but if I did eat meat, I don't think it would make much of a difference). I'm not sure how much protein I eat on a daily basis, but I eat chickpeas, hummus, almonds, and peanut butter like it's my job.
  • jbrownnolan
    jbrownnolan Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I don't eat meat, I haven't for 3 years now (just had my 3rd yr anniversary the beginning of July), I am a lacto-ovo vegetarian, however I have replaced cows milk with almond milk, but will still have up to 2 eggs/day (for protein, normally 1 for breakfast and 1 for lunch), and I will still have the occasional cheese with my meal. Reason for me switching, I wasn't always a big meat eater to start with, on occasionally having 3 - 4 servings of meat a week. Then one day while eating chicken for dinner I was chewing chewing chewing and couldn't swallow the chicken, I spit it out on my plate (gross I know), I asked my self "Why am I forcing myself to eat meat?" and haven't eaten meat since.

I never understood the comment from people "Oh, I can't not eat meat, I've tried it and I get too weak", simply because I've never gotten weak or even craved meat since I've stopped eating it. I am fairly active too, I run upwards of 40 - 60 km a week, I just have a hard boiled egg and a banana after a run and I'm good to go. I'm also an avid blood giver, I donate ever 2 months and very rarely ever get turned away for low iron (however I do cut my running down to 30k / week for the week I give blood, I do find myself a bit sluggish at that time, but got this way even 4 years ago when I did eat meat).

I have no current plans on going back to my old ways of eating meat. It really is a HUGE commitment to some and not a big deal to others (like myself). Everyone is different though, what ever keeps you going and keeps you strong is what is right for you. Good Luck.
  • zillah73
    zillah73 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    It is totally easy for me to adhere to a vegan diet. The precious lives of nonhuman creatures are what matters to me, regardless of any health/nutrition concerns of a vegan diet. I refuse to sacrifice their lives for mine.

For a moment, I thought this was supposed to be sarcasm. But, based on post history, I can't help but think you're serious.

Yes . . . I can't see who you're quoting because I routinely block anyone who self-identifies as an ethical vegan, but s/he is no doubt sincere in what s/he is saying. So-called ethical veganism is fraught with misanthropy and self-hatred and placing animals over human beings. In my opinion so-called ethical veganism is no better than any other form of eating disorder and may actually be worse, since the more extreme of them try to prevent others from eating or even owning domestic animals (I've got no problem with people who adopt veganism for health or religious reasons, though.)

Go ahead and block me now but I find your assumptions silly. Ethical vegans aren't misanthropes, they don't hate themselves, they don't place animals over human beings, and abstaining from using animal product for food, clothing, cosmetics etc on an ethical basis in no way qualifies as an eating disorder. Contrary to your assessment, ethical vegans generally operate from a place of love and compassion, not hatred as you suggest. Ethical vegans cherish all sentient beings equally. It isn't about placing animals above humans (we are all animals, after all), but about recognizing that ALL creatures (humans, cows, pigs, dogs, cats, chickens, dolphins, elephants, etc.) are EQUALLY deserving of compassion and the right to not just live but thrive.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    It is totally easy for me to adhere to a vegan diet. The precious lives of nonhuman creatures are what matters to me, regardless of any health/nutrition concerns of a vegan diet. I refuse to sacrifice their lives for mine.

For a moment, I thought this was supposed to be sarcasm. But, based on post history, I can't help but think you're serious.

Yes . . . I can't see who you're quoting because I routinely block anyone who self-identifies as an ethical vegan, but s/he is no doubt sincere in what s/he is saying. So-called ethical veganism is fraught with misanthropy and self-hatred and placing animals over human beings. In my opinion so-called ethical veganism is no better than any other form of eating disorder and may actually be worse, since the more extreme of them try to prevent others from eating or even owning domestic animals (I've got no problem with people who adopt veganism for health or religious reasons, though.)

Go ahead and block me now but I find your assumptions silly. Ethical vegans aren't misanthropes, they don't hate themselves, they don't place animals over human beings, and abstaining from using animal product for food, clothing, cosmetics etc on an ethical basis in no way qualifies as an eating disorder. Contrary to your assessment, ethical vegans generally operate from a place of love and compassion, not hatred as you suggest. Ethical vegans cherish all sentient beings equally. It isn't about placing animals above humans (we are all animals, after all), but about recognizing that ALL creatures (humans, cows, pigs, dogs, cats, chickens, dolphins, elephants, etc.) are EQUALLY deserving of compassion and the right to not just live but thrive.
    I am sure a hungry predatory animal cares about your compassion and right to live and thrive.
  • BoatsnHose
    Options

Doesn't look like you are worried much about HUMAN exploitation based on those fresh Nikes in your profile pic.
  • saltedcaramel86
    saltedcaramel86 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I stopped eating meat two years ago and feel better than ever! I'm now on a veeeeeeeeeeery recent transition to veganism (several days ago) and felt a little rough for a day but I think that was my body reacting to a large amount of soy products in place of dairy but seems to be evening out already and the last two days I've been practically bouncing with energy, feel lighter and more alert. Couple of weeks ago, I had some bloods taken to rule out anemia -- turns out all my levels are absolutely perfect and apparently better than most meat eaters, turns out I was just severely run down from work. That being said, when I have minor periods of living off "junk" like chips, chocolate, etc, in vast quantities then yeah, I feel weak and sluggish but when I'm eating balanced meals/snacks with lots of fruits/veggies/etc with treats in moderation, I feel great.
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options

Doesn't look like you are worried much about HUMAN exploitation based on those fresh Nikes in your profile pic.

Nice catch! It's true Nike is absolutely horrible. One of the worst of a horrible industry. But can you expect everyone to know everything? You could have made the world a better place by gently pointing that out.

Vegans need to be aware of human rights, too, and many are. One thing I'm beginning to understand is the vegan claim that how we treat animals influences how we treat each other. I was watching and enjoying a horse training documentary called Buck. Right up until a young brain damaged stallion was sent off to slaughter and Buck gave a speech about why. The horse was dangerous, it's true, I could see not keeping it, but Buck didn't talk about it in those terms. He talked about that horse as a brain damaged child that, with the right training, could have been a useful member of society. But the horse was never going to be useful now, so the horse had to be put down. I'm tired of people using other people in society, and maybe we did get that attitude partly from how we view animals.
  • BoatsnHose
    Options

Nice catch! It's true Nike is absolutely horrible. One of the worst of a horrible industry. But can you expect everyone to know everything? You could have made the world a better place by gently pointing that out.

Vegans need to be aware of human rights, too, and many are. One thing I'm beginning to understand is the vegan claim that how we treat animals influences how we treat each other. I was watching and enjoying a horse training documentary called Buck. Right up until a young brain damaged stallion was sent off to slaughter and Buck gave a speech about why. The horse was dangerous, it's true, I could see not keeping it, but Buck didn't talk about it in those terms. He talked about that horse as a brain damaged child that, with the right training, could have been a useful member of society. But the horse was never going to be useful now, so the horse had to be put down. I'm tired of people using other people in society, and maybe we did get that attitude partly from how we view animals.

You are right, I could have said it more gently and I apologize for that. However, it really chaps my *kitten* when I hear vegans preaching from their soapbox about this topic meanwhile they have on their designer jeans while texting on their iphone which were both produced in sweat shops under borderline slave labor conditions. And yes, I realize not all vegans are this way, it is always the vocal ones.

Now if you'll excuse me, I think I am going to go enjoy a nice thick ribeye.:smile:
  • kmorgan221
    kmorgan221 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Weak, no. But I would not be happy without meat. I can't imagine not eating steak, cheeseburgers, bacon, etc. I would not be happy. I would be sad.
  • Meerataila
    Options

You are right, I could have said it more gently and I apologize for that. However, it really chaps my *kitten* when I hear vegans preaching from their soapbox about this topic meanwhile they have on their designer jeans while texting on their iphone which were both produced in sweat shops under borderline slave labor conditions. And yes, I realize not all vegans are this way, it is always the vocal ones.

Now if you'll excuse me, I think I am going to go enjoy a nice thick ribeye.:smile:

Enjoy your ribeye, I'm not the captain of anyone's conscience except my own. Just remember, we should always be recruiting from anywhere and everywhere for human rights. There aren't nearly enough of us!
  • zillah73
    zillah73 Posts: 505 Member
    Options

Ummm.... those aren't Nikes.

• Meerataila
    Options

:laugh: Egad! New Balance! Some of which I believe are still made in USA. :blushing:
  • BoatsnHose
    Options

The point still stands. Am I to assume you don't own any diamonds, Nike material, cotton material, or anything gold? Because if you do, the probability that these goods were produced under slave, child, or forced labor is extremely high.
  • Docbanana2002
    Docbanana2002 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I trust that all you vegans don't go around sporting iphones and nike shoes, because humans are getting exploited much worse to make these products than a cow getting milked is exploited.

Okay. Do YOU actually do that? Cut out those companies, cotton, diamonds, and gold... and the meat? Or do you just do neither and point fingers at those who are doing more than you because they aren't doing everything?

For what it's worth, I actually do try to make more ethical choices in my purchase of products. Buying local whenever possible, supporting small businesses, buying fair trade stuff, etc. I support work in Ghana that helps children leaving child slavery and plan to go there myself to help with the work next year. I do what I can, but I don't do everything it is true. A person can make themselves crazy trying to obsess about every little ingredient and wrong buying choice.The poster who was talking about veganism being unhealthy mentally is wrong, I think.... but I do think that once you actually start to care about these issues it opens a pandora's box. You realize how much of our economy--cheap food, cheap products at Wal-mart, etc.--is linked to the abuse and exploitation of both humans and animals around the globe. It's hard to escape and can make people with anxious or obsessive tendencies even more so unless you manage it well.

So I've tried to take it slow, to see at as a challenge to make a new good decision every week or so and to cut myself slack for not doing everything at once. Right now I'm working on cutting eggs out of my diet and realizing that egg is lurking in all sorts of products I use. That's all I can handle this week! I can't solve all the problems at once, or solve them by myself. That doesn't mean that am a hypocrite for saying that it is worthwhile to do SOMETHING. Yeah, I guess it would be hypocritical if I put myself out there as a model of perfection and better than everyone else... but who is doing that? Some obnoxious vocal people I suppose, but not most of the people I know. Not me.

Realize that if someone has a product you object to, maybe they don't know it is a problem and would be receptive to an explanation that treats them as a moral person who would really want to know this sort of thing and act on it. It has been my observation that vegans are sensitive to these issues even though animal welfare is the focus of their activism. Just like those fighting for gay rights might also care about sexism or racism and be an ally to those addressing those issues without losing focus on their personal mission.

Or maybe they do know, but have made that choice anyway for reasons that they really don't need to explain to you (unless they are in your face judging you about a specific decision you made, then I think it opens the door for that.... but not the random vegan you barely know). Maybe they are like me, doing all they can do RIGHT NOW, and are working toward more good choices? Maybe you are seeing them with products that were given to them or bought in the past before they changed their view. Like my pre-veg leather walking shoes (not Nike!). As my shoes wear out I'm replacing them with something other than leather but I don't see how I can benefit the animal that provided that leather by throwing it in the garbage. I make some use of it and then will replace it as the time comes.
  • BoatsnHose
    Options

Okay. Do YOU actually do that? Cut out those companies, cotton, diamonds, and gold... and the meat? Or do you just do neither and point fingers at those who are doing more than you because they aren't doing everything?

No I don't any of that. I eat meat, I buy goods from companies with shady production policies because I don't care about killing animals for food or slave labor and other countries and I am not going to pretend that I do.

I am just pointing out the hypocrisy of certain vegans who preach their faux ethics or morals on others.