Good mile time?

Options
_Josee_
_Josee_ Posts: 625 Member
HI,
I've been wondering what a good mile was for a 30 yrs old woman ?
Thanks.

Replies

• hermann341
    hermann341 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    At 50, I'm pretty happy with the 7:12 I managed the last time I tested my mile time.
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Depends and varies greatly on what the def of good is.

Good for competitors is much diff than good for just a normal 30 yr old woman.
    Good for a normal 30 old woman is diff than good for a 30 yr old woman athlete who has ran alot in her life.

Etc. Etc. Etc.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    one a few seconds better than the last one you ran

No, seriously.

If you want to age-grade yourself, you can see how you stack up, but you should only be racing yourself (unless you're planning on winning something)

http://www.runbayou.com/Wavacalc.htm
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    4:46
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    HI,
    Thanks.

6 minutes.
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    one a few seconds better than the last one you ran

No, seriously.

If you want to age-grade yourself, you can see how you stack up, but you should only be racing yourself (unless you're planning on winning something)

http://www.runbayou.com/Wavacalc.htm
    Exactly.

Race yourself.

Best advice I could agree with. Unless you are a select few, people will always be faster than you so if you just consisntantly get better taht is motivating enough. Not every one will be better than the previous, but if you stick to a running program and keep at it that time will come down over time.
  • vmclach
    vmclach Posts: 670 Member
    Options

A bit slow... http://www.teamusaminnesota.org/index.php/heather-dorniden

4:30 seems like a decent bench mark.. Not gonna win the Olympics but do what you can lol
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    HI,
    Thanks.

6 minutes.

This is quite a good time....I've done it...not easy.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    definitely doing the work right.
  • KimJohnsonsmile
    KimJohnsonsmile Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I agree with all the "race yourself" posts. That really is the best advice. Run at a good pace for you then try to beat it the next time out. And, so on.

To give you an actual number, I average about an 11 min/mile. I'm 37. Nope, it's not fast, but it works for me. My goal this summer/fall is to get to 10.5. My sis-in-law is 31 and she averages about a 9.5 to a 10 min/mile. My other MFP friends that run average anywhere between an 8.5 and a 12 min/mile.

Good luck to you!

EDIT - and I just looked at your profile, OP, and see you are quite an accomplished runner, so ignore everything I posted above. :) Next time maybe a word or two about where you're currently at, so all of us slowpokes who think we're helping just move on to the next post.
  • vmclach
    Options

A bit slow... http://www.teamusaminnesota.org/index.php/heather-dorniden

4:30 seems like a decent bench mark.. Not gonna win the Olympics but do what you can lol

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=70UF82nysIU

For some mid distance motivation!
  • RenewedRunner
    RenewedRunner Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    HI,
    Thanks.

6 minutes.

I would DIE. If that was the requirement for outrunning the zombies, I am just going to go ahead and fall down on the ground. :smile:

OP, is there a time you are looking for? Good for what? Like winning your age group, winning overall, just being able to say you are in decent shape?

My mile time SUCKS. But then again, Idontreallygiveahairyratsass. I just like to run. Or slog. Or whatever you want to call it. Freaking MFP calls it walking when I put it in the activity tracker. :grumble:
  • davemunger
    davemunger Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    I like the age-grading idea. It gives you a sense of where you are relative to the top performance for your age group. It's not perfect but it gives you some basis for comparison. Note: At age 30 you are considered to be at your prime -- this is the age where athletes set world records. Interestingly, in local races I've found that the 30-34 age group is often not super competitive, probably because this is when folks tend to be preoccupied with marriage, career, kids, etc. When you hit 35-39 and above it tends to get more competitive again.
  • grubb1019
    grubb1019 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I'm 40 and my latest was 13:55 and that is great for me. As long as its a little faster than the time before!
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,217 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I was brainwashed for quite a while regarding run times. The best time for YOU is the pace you can sustain. When I was young and in the army, I would always strive for an 8 minute mile. NOW, I've been hitting an 11 minute mile, and that is comfortable for me to sustain - for now. Once I get some more miles down, my ultimate goal is to hit a 9 minute mile pace. Oh - and FTR, I'm a 35 y/o woman. What is your pace for a mile right now?
  • ddixon503
    ddixon503 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I'm 44 and weigh 238 lbs. My mile 'average' on a 3 mile run is 10:15 - and I'm TOTALLY fine with that.
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    proper training will turn you into a good runner so long as your body mechanics aren't prohibitive... to look at it any other way is useless... A sloppy 6 minute mile isn't the same a a graceful 6 minute mile.

Food for thought.. Plenty of seasoned runners may have a slower mile time than someone else yet have a better marathon time. What kinda runner do you want to be?
  • vmclach
    Options
    proper training will turn you into a good runner so long as your body mechanics aren't prohibitive... to look at it any other way is useless... A sloppy 6 minute mile isn't the same a a graceful 6 minute mile.

Food for thought.. Plenty of seasoned runners may have a slower mile time than someone else yet have a better marathon time. What kinda runner do you want to be?

How is a sloppy 6 min mile any different than a graceful one.. Do you get scored by the judges on form? Lol
  • _Josee_
    _Josee_ Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I was brainwashed for quite a while regarding run times. The best time for YOU is the pace you can sustain. When I was young and in the army, I would always strive for an 8 minute mile. NOW, I've been hitting an 11 minute mile, and that is comfortable for me to sustain - for now. Once I get some more miles down, my ultimate goal is to hit a 9 minute mile pace. Oh - and FTR, I'm a 35 y/o woman. What is your pace for a mile right now?

I don't know, I've never raced a mile before.
  • DebraYvonne
    DebraYvonne Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I am so slow I am not even posting mine! I just run/slog/walk fast my heart out for 2 miles and burn some decent calories and then try to walk a couple of miles. I don't plan to enter the olympics and only compete against myself. = )