Can't stop losing weight:-(

Options

Replies

• Srendon1111
    Srendon1111 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for concern. I have thought about seeing a dr but really what are they going to do? Tell me what I already know. I know which foods are better for me. I know portion sizes. I know not to indulge if I really set in my mind I will not eat out of excess. I do eat. I'm not starving my self and yes I eat a lot on some weekends, but I can control it. Some of you are right I need to slowly up my calories and I will. I told myself I will probably not log for a couple weeks and see if my anxiety goes away and I can be healthy again. I have maintained a weight of 115-120 before I'm just smaller now and I don't want to let myself gain much weight back. I do want to gain muscle. I just need to learn to do it the right way. Which I can. It is mental. I have to learn to overcome it and stop losing anymore weight.
  • earthboundmisfit
    earthboundmisfit Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I think it's a good idea to stop logging for a while. Taking your focus off the numbers might help ease your anxiety. Just think about eating healthy. Best of luck to you.
  • mymodernbabylon
    mymodernbabylon Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for concern. I have thought about seeing a dr but really what are they going to do? Tell me what I already know. I know which foods are better for me. I know portion sizes. I know not to indulge if I really set in my mind I will not eat out of excess. I do eat. I'm not starving my self and yes I eat a lot on some weekends, but I can control it. Some of you are right I need to slowly up my calories and I will. I told myself I will probably not log for a couple weeks and see if my anxiety goes away and I can be healthy again. I have maintained a weight of 115-120 before I'm just smaller now and I don't want to let myself gain much weight back. I do want to gain muscle. I just need to learn to do it the right way. Which I can. It is mental. I have to learn to overcome it and stop losing anymore weight.

Seeing the doctor isn't just about the food...it's about the mental aspect. If you find that you can't overcome it, you need to talk to a therapist and your doctor would be a good start. The mindset you are in right now is very much a disordered eating mindset moving on its way to an eating disorder. If you want, you can also start with one of the overcoming books (it's a CBT workbook you can do on your own)..you would want the anorexia one.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

you know all those things, but you arent able to do it... thats the aspect that a doctor could help with...
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options

Yes, you are starving yourself if you're treating 1400 cals as maintainence, even though you're still losing.

Eat more.
  • ButtVibes
    ButtVibes Posts: 12
    Options
    That happened to me about a year ago! Eat more. I know, it's scary, but just eat more. If not, it's just going to back fire on you (I can tell).
  • peanutbutter_runner
    peanutbutter_runner Posts: 36 Member
    Options

That's why I recommended a therapist, not a doctor. A therapist can help with the mental problem.
  • Dennis4766
    Dennis4766 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I lost over 100 and fell into simiilar circumstances. Developed eating disorder. My recommendation: stop weighing daily if you are, increase your calories. And if you continue feeling the need to lose, seek help as soon as possible. I waited too long.

BTW, I met with therapist, nutritionist, and also my doctor. All 3 have helped in one way or another. I let it go too long and developed health problems.
  • proudjmmom
    proudjmmom Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I can relate, as we already discussed. I was there. It was hard. You need to break that mental block against eating more, or only eating 1400 cals. My goal was 125lbs, I lost a further 9-10 lbs bringing me to 115-116 as my final weight.

With loggin, I couldn't bring myself to eat up to my calorie goal. I see it getting close then I stop. This is what made me keep losing. No matter what I couldn't eat up to my cal goal. I knew this wasn't healthy, and I had to change it fast, or I was going to be well underweight. The fix for me, was stopping logging. Eating healthy, and well portioned well rounded meals and wise snacks. No logging, and I stopped losing weight. I have maintained perfectly since I stopped. Soon as I started logging again, the same mentality came back, can't eat up to my cal goal, and I start losing again. My maintenance cals the last time I tried logging were up to 1940 calories. This seems to work for me, I think. I rarely ever hit that goal when tracking. But I think I can comfortably eat about 2000 cals a day and not gain.

You really need to break this relationship you have with food, and losing or regaining weight. You will be much happier, I promise.
  • Srendon1111
    Srendon1111 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for that! Glad to say I didnt lose or gain this last week. I'm trying to redevelop my relationship with food. This week I upped my calories to 1485 since Mfp gives me a maintenance of 1390. This week is my sons birthday and I told myself I'm gonna stop logging and see if I could do this on my own. I just want to enjoy my life and instead of time overthinking my calories. I'll spend that time with my family:-) and if I gain a couple of lbs it's okay.
  • DeterminedFee201426
    DeterminedFee201426 Posts: 859 Member
    Options
    Gosh, I wish I had this problem.
    Me too
  • Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    People wish they had this problem til it happens to them .... they have no idea how bad this can be.

I hit my goal ... 34.5 inches at my abs and thought I was good. WRONG

I was skinny as he** and at a body fat of 7.4% .. and looked like worse than ****.

I was just not in a good place .. and it happened overnight. I went from 12% to 7% overnight .. and it was not good
    and I don't wish this on anyone.

I am eating much more .. now and things are turning around. Ice cream and chocolate are my friends .. just cause I can but mostly I am trying to be healthier.

So .. the solution I found, high calorie foods. Things like peanuts, chocolate, avocado and such .. olive oil shots if you get really desperate. I did have a listing of the highest calorie foods but don't know which website it was on. But .. I don't want to be eating 24/7 just to maintain .. so lots of high calorie foods it is.

Good luck .. it is tough as mentally we became accustomed to being in a deficit and when you have to eat A LOT more it can be tough.
  • chrs86
    chrs86 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I have to agree. Once you get to your maintenance level you should eat 3-5 small high protein meals.
  • Keshondra954
    Options
  • cheerbows
    cheerbows Posts: 1
    Options
    Please, for the sake of your health, start by reintroducing your body to more high calorie foods. By the rate you're going this could become very dangerous.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    If you can't do it on your own, then get some help. I would recommend a licensed dietician. I can't determine if you have an eating disorder or not, but I can identify with the fear. It's definitely easier to lose weight than to stay the same. Especially if that's been your life experience. However, the fear is irrational as well as unhealthy. In addition to a dietician, you might consider a therapist who deals in body image. Women are given really bad information and advice on what we should look like as well as the idiotic messages that the media puts forth.

I've recently had a large weight drop at maintenance due to a diagnosis of silent reflux, which resulted in my being taken off most of the foods I was used to eating. I'm now set to add a half pound a week back until I get to my goal from the other direction. ;-). I'm tracking/logging again and actually only getting to a half pound a month so far, but at least it's the right direction.

Did you have MFP calculate your daily calorie goal? It does a pretty good job of giving you a number that works out to be the right amount of food to eat. I'm sure it didn't give you a goal of 1400 a day. I was eating 1450 to 1500 on my way down. And I'm only 5'4" so I'm probably not that far off from you.
  • cwoyto123
    cwoyto123 Posts: 308
    Options
    So eat more, lol.
  • donyellemoniquex3
    donyellemoniquex3 Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options

orca-yes.gif
  • nicailyzee
    nicailyzee Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    You are in my prayers!
  • walkingforward
    walkingforward Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Doctors can give some general advice and steer you in the right direction on this topic. That is their job. They may start the process and not be the finish (ie many people think a doctors advice will be like a write-off).

Possible outcomes:

(1) Nothing wrong - body will catch up
    (2) Dietary advice - not what MFP'ers are generally here for however they often speak from experience
    (3) My experience - I got below my goal quickly because it was probably out of obsession - still dealing with that mentally however I am heavier again, but healthier overall
    (4) My experience part 2 - Doctor got me tested for cancer in my digestive system - can't rule out malfunction in the body.

So, go get checked out and take care. Your heart is in the right place.

Gary