Marathon Time

Options
Stoshew71
Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
I recently got into running. I never ran a marathon before but will run my first one in December. I have been training really hard for it.
I hope to someday soon to be able to run in Boston. But I know you have to qualify for that and the times are really tough to be able to qualify for Boston. I am making a lot of progress over the last year. I am 42 years old. I calculated that I have to run a 7:35 pace. Right now I can run maybe a 8:30 pace for 10 miles. You think I can bring that down a whole minute by December?

Replies

• vmclach
    vmclach Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    Yes. Just make sure you run all your runs form here until that marathon at 7:35 or faster. Running faster makes you faster!!!
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    No.

Are you seriously asking this or is this some kind of jape?
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    No.

+1 for use of the word "jape"
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    No.

I'm going to go with 'joke we aren't in on', because the advice in the first response was too terrible to be real.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    I am kinda curious about the responses I will get.
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    I recently got into running. I never ran a marathon before but will run my first one in December. I have been training really hard for it.
    I hope to someday soon to be able to run in Boston. But I know you have to qualify for that and the times are really tough to be able to qualify for Boston. I am making a lot of progress over the last year. I am 42 years old. I calculated that I have to run a 7:35 pace. Right now I can run maybe a 8:30 pace for 10 miles. You think I can bring that down a whole minute by December?
    Why just aim for a full minute during that timeframe and go for the world record time?
  • RenewedRunner
    RenewedRunner Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    If this is the line where the fairy godmother grants the wishes, I am here and holding my spot

1. I want my husband home like tomorrow instead of "sometime around Christmas."

2. I want to be at goal weight when I wake up

3. I would like to run single digit time for my miles. Anything below 10mm is fine. Not being greedy.

And.......waiting.........
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    I would incorporate more beans into your diet...cause farts = jet fuel.
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    Hold up there man. If you start rocking out those sevens at a marathon then the eye candy starts gets fewer and more far between.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options

My plan is to age into a BQ.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Hold up there man. If you start rocking out those sevens at a marathon then the eye candy starts gets fewer and more far between.

Dude, did you read my "corral theory" or something?
  • snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options

My cousin claims that that's what she did, but considering she's only 39, I don't believe her.
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options

I don't think I'll still be running when I'm 157 years old. :sad:

Edit for brain fail.
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options

I did not but if your theory suggest that the 8:30-10 minute corrals are the best for sightseeing then I think you are on to something and should look for funding a study.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options

I did not but if your theory suggest that the 8:30-10 minute corrals are the best for sightseeing then I think you are on to something and should look for funding a study.

I've been saying this for a long time! I've run a couple HMs in the low-7's and it was a total sausage party. Then for the next two, I slowed it down to about an 8min/mi pace and it was like a whole new world. There were lots of cute girls, and they were talkative, smiling, and looked like they took a wrong turn at a sorority pillow fight. I pinched myself and even splashed water in my face at an aid station just to make sure I wasn't in some kind of dream. From now on, I register my approximate finishing times appropriately so I can get put in corral C.
  • NorthCountryDreamer
    NorthCountryDreamer Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Yes. Just make sure you run all your runs form here until that marathon at 7:35 or faster. Running faster makes you faster!!!

Well she is faster than me so I am going with what she said.
  • schmenge55
    schmenge55 Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    I think that kind of drop is unlikely. A marathon is unlike any other race you have done. My advice for marathon number one is to have a solid race with gas left in the tank when you are done. You will learn a lot and be able to improve in subsequent marathons
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    No.

I'm going to go with 'joke we aren't in on', because the advice in the first response was too terrible to be real.

Oh good. These "inside jokes in F&E" are my favorites.

I like to watch these threads develop and imagine how awesome it must be to be on the other side in the cool kids club.

If only I had some really bad advice to give so others might think I was cool too...

...but I have a policy about giving intentionally bad advice in F&E (and similar) categories.

*shrug*
  • jlanz10
    jlanz10 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I hate to rain on your parade, but Im saying I dont think youll qualify for Boston this year. A marathon is a true test of your training and your spirit...Your only goal the first time should be to finish...Youll get a better idea of your goal as you increase your distance in your training runs as you get closer to race day. Dont put too much pressure on yourself the first time, and just try to enjoy it...Not many people can say theyve completed a marathon...Good luck!!!
  • vmclach
    vmclach Posts: 670 Member
    Options

I've been saying this for a long time! I've run a couple HMs in the low-7's and it was a total sausage party. Then for the next two, I slowed it down to about an 8min/mi pace and it was like a whole new world. There were lots of cute girls, and they were talkative, smiling, and looked like they took a wrong turn at a sorority pillow fight. I pinched myself and even splashed water in my face at an aid station just to make sure I wasn't in some kind of dream. From now on, I register my approximate finishing times appropriately so I can get put in corral C.

Run a little faster guys... I was up finishing at 1:33.. I know it's hard to see me from way back at 1:36. But I'm hot & I was there!

Boom!!!!!