Female weakling wants to build strength. Advice?

Options

Replies

• LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    I've used this workout plan for the past year or so (I just keep repeating phase 2). I like it because, for each exercise, there's a video with a voiceover that explains each step in the exercise,a detailed explanation of how the perform the exercise, and a list of alternative exercises that work the same muscle area. (I don't follow the diet and supplements recommendations, though there are some tasty protein bar recipes.)

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/jamie-easons-livefit-phase-1.html

Thanks for the link. Unfortunately the program seems to mainly use studio equipment. Maybe I should have mentioned that I need something I can do at home... I have crazy schedule sometimes and it's a lot easier for me to squeeze in a workout at home.

You will want some kind of weight-bench to use at home, but figure out what exercises you will be doing first so you know what kind best suits your needs. To start out sometimes two chairs with a heavy plank between them for you to lay on, can work.

The reason you need a weight bench is because some exercises require you to move weights against gravity perpendicular to your body's long-axis, through a range of motion that would put your arms or legs below the plane of the floor if you tried to lay on the floor.

I got one at Target for about $80. Look around you can find cheap ones. Don't forget Craigslist.
  • mrbyte
    mrbyte Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Learn the basics of free weight training. After that, you can add all those machines into the mix to enhance the base you built using free weights.
  • bunnylion
    bunnylion Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Short Answer: Lift heavy things.

First of all, 30 Day Shred isn't going to help you build muscle. It's cardio. You need to lift weights like everyone else that wants to gain a considerable amount of strength. Start a program like StrongLifts 5x5, Strong Curves, Starting Strength, or New Rules of Lifting for Women.

Hahaha. I didn't die of the cardio in the 30 Day Shred, that's for sure :flowerforyou: I'm not necessarily looking for a strict weight lifting program. I don't mind if there is some cardio in it as well. Maybe it might even make transitioning from cardio to strength a bit easier to have a bit of a mixed program?
  • waytogoraus
    Options
    I swear by Jillian Michaels DVDs. I've used almost all of them & love the results. Like you, I used to spend most of my time doing cardio. I never picked up a weight before JM's DVDs, but now I'm obsessed.

You tried 30DS & didn't like it/it was too difficult, which I totally understand. For a beginner, I would recommend JM's Body Revolution. It's more expensive than 30DS because it is a 15 DVD system that starts off for beginners & then works up to more advanced levels over the course of 3 months. There are many modifications for almost every move. I think that the Body Revolution program would be more friendly toward beginners.

One of my favorite things about Body Revolution is that JM does the routines with a whole cast of different people with different personalities. It makes it feel like I'm not alone. Good luck!
  • fitandfortyish
    fitandfortyish Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I highly recommend Body by You. Huge variation in body weight exercises and levels of difficulty plus a defined plan to help you get stronger. You can do it at home or at a playground if you want.
  • bunnylion
    Options
    I swear by Jillian Michaels DVDs. I've used almost all of them & love the results. Like you, I used to spend most of my time doing cardio. I never picked up a weight before JM's DVDs, but now I'm obsessed.

You tried 30DS & didn't like it/it was too difficult, which I totally understand. For a beginner, I would recommend JM's Body Revolution. It's more expensive than 30DS because it is a 15 DVD system that starts off for beginners & then works up to more advanced levels over the course of 3 months. There are many modifications for almost every move. I think that the Body Revolution program would be more friendly toward beginners.

One of my favorite things about Body Revolution is that JM does the routines with a whole cast of different people with different personalities. It makes it feel like I'm not alone. Good luck!

Thanks for the encouraging words! I actually have Body Revolution but after my experience with the 30DS I didn't dare to do it :blushing: Maybe one of there days I feel brave enough to have a look. Maybe after doing some more table push ups....
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

lol- if you're doing a DVD at home- odds are you are still doing cardio.
  • bunnylion
    Options
    I highly recommend Body by You. Huge variation in body weight exercises and levels of difficulty plus a defined plan to help you get stronger. You can do it at home or at a playground if you want.

I actually own that, too :blushing: Turns out I'm not great at following exercise instructions from a book. :sad:
  • bunnylion
    Options
    Ok, as I had never heard about half the names you were throwing around, I did some googeling and tried to summarize all the things suggested:

Books (equipment/Gym needed):
    Read New Rules of Lifting for Women
    StrongLifts 5x5
    Strong Curves
    Starting Strength
    Strength Training for Women by Lori Incledon

Books (Body weight only):
    Body by You/You Are Your Own Gym
    Convict Conditioning

Books (other):
    5 hour body (?? I could only find The 4-Hour Body, is this what you meant? The 4-Hour Body seems like complete nonsense to me...)

Online programs:
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/jamie-easons-livefit-phase-1.html (Online program to do in studio -- weird concept?)
    http://www.fitnessblender.com/ (all kinds of videos both cardio and strength, seems to be all free?)

Gym:
    Crossfit gym (What is that??)
    Lift heavy things

DVDs (few weights needed):
    Body Revolution by JM
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I've used this workout plan for the past year or so (I just keep repeating phase 2). I like it because, for each exercise, there's a video with a voiceover that explains each step in the exercise,a detailed explanation of how the perform the exercise, and a list of alternative exercises that work the same muscle area. (I don't follow the diet and supplements recommendations, though there are some tasty protein bar recipes.)

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/jamie-easons-livefit-phase-1.html

Thanks for the link. Unfortunately the program seems to mainly use studio equipment. Maybe I should have mentioned that I need something I can do at home... I have crazy schedule sometimes and it's a lot easier for me to squeeze in a workout at home.

Convict Conditioning

+1 for Convict Conditioning. It's a really great program.
  • lqichick
    lqichick Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Stage14
    Stage14 Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    StrongLifts isn't a book, it's all online. You need a barbell with changeable weights and a bench for that one. Any flat utility bench will work, it just needs to be able to support your weight and the workout weight. And you can actually use dumbbells for that one starting out. You could probably get some good mileage out of a good pair of adjustable dumbells before you necessarily needed to move up to a barbell, so it would probably be your best bet for a small apartment at the moment (of the routines that require equipment at least). Look on Craigslist or scout yard sales for a sturdy bench and a set of adjustable dumbbells.

Edited for repetitive repetition.
  • weavernv
    weavernv Posts: 1,555 Member
    Options
    bump
  • bunnylion
    Options

Haha. That page is funny! :laugh:

"So you want to get in shape, but you have no gym membership.

That’s fine, screw gyms!
    They’re loaded with chumps, meatheads, pushy salesmen, and people who suck at working out."

Love it. Also the beginners workout they suggest doesn't seem too intimidating. I'm going to try that tomorrow. Will have to substitute the regular push ups for my table push ups. There rest I can hopefully manage a few reps.
  • caribear1984
    caribear1984 Posts: 203
    Options
    You may also want to look into kettlebell exercises. Kettlebells are small, so they don't take up much room, but they are a good tool for increasing your strength. You can also get some good dvds to help guide you (although I have heard that Jillian's is horrible, so maybe not that one, lol.) And all of the other ideas mentioned here are good too. It really just depends on your goals, your space limitations, and whether you can access a gym or not.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options

Haha. That page is funny! :laugh:

"So you want to get in shape, but you have no gym membership.

That’s fine, screw gyms!
    They’re loaded with chumps, meatheads, pushy salesmen, and people who suck at working out."

Love it. Also the beginners workout they suggest doesn't seem too intimidating. I'm going to try that tomorrow. Will have to substitute the regular push ups for my table push ups. There rest I can hopefully manage a few reps.

Good for you! I'm still working on standard pushups myself. You start with where you are and you progress.
  • bunnylion
    Options
    Woot! Woot!
    I just tried the nerdfitness beginners workout which suggests the following:

Three times a circuit of:
    20 body weight squats
    10 push ups (used my couch, I'm still faaar away from regular push ups)
    20 walking lunges
    10 dumbbell rows (using a gallon milk jug)
    15 second plank (did these on my knees)
    30 Jumping Jacks

I'm incredibly proud to announce that with my modifications I was actually able to repeat all three circuits and the suggested reps. I had to take a couple of breaks and the last circuit was hard, but I made it! :bigsmile:
    Squats were actually a bit easy, so I'll try with my hands behind my head next time. Upper body strength, however, is non existent. I struggled to last 15 seconds doing a plank on my knees.... Well, it can only get better.

Thanks for all your great tips. I will continue with this beginners routine for a bit and then look into some of the programs you suggested :flowerforyou:

Bunny (soon to be Lion)
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    congrats and good job for making mods to get you through it- that's really the trick to it- finding a modification that allows you to do the work but is still challenging. Big HIGH FIVE for you!!!

That's the biggest step for body weight workouts- and it goes both ways- easy- normal to harder variations- the principle still applies. That idea will take you far!
  • bunnylion
    Options
    Oh, and how do I log this? I have never logged any strength exercise... There is a circuit training and a body weight training in the data base but both put the calories at around 200 for 20 minutes. That seems way too high. Weight lifting on the other hand seems to low with only 80 cals.
    Help?