always over daily calorie consumed

Options

Replies

• __freckles__
    __freckles__ Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    I have opened up my dairy for anyone who's interested in giving me a review of how to cut calories......I don't think I will stay motivated to lose weight if my goal was losing 1lb a week, I get discouraged easily if I don't see or feel a difference, its hard for me without instant gratification. I've been logging for a month now and that's an accomplishment for me. I also am trying(doing) quit smoking, I haven't smoked since July 4th. I think my smoking cravings turn into eating moments at the moment.

You are eating too few calories. Some people can eat 1200 calories a day and feel fine. Obviously you're not one of them and there's nothing wrong with that. Wouldn't you rather eat more and not starve every day? It will take you longer to get to goal weight, but you won't be miserable and setting yourself up for failure every time you eat over 1200 calories.

Here are some links that may help you recalculate your calorie goals:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1235566-so-you-re-new-here?hl=so+you%27re+new+here

Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    I find biasing my diet low-carb rather than low-fat helps me feel full on fewer calories. You might try changing your diet strategy to see if low-carb works or low fat works best for you.

Is there a reason you cannot exercise? Even an extra 100 or 200 calories a day diet-leeway earned by exercise can make a big difference in how full you feel. (add: Can you get a kid-pack and walk 20 minutes carrying an 18 month-old on your back?)

I second the recent comment about not taking your calories as liquids. If you don't like water, try teas or herbal infusions. They have flavor but no calories or negligible ones (2 calories, 4 calories) and are cheaper than soda or dairy.

I started here on July 2 and it is July 21. I've lost 9 lbs in that time (though its possible about 1 lb of that is due to buying a new scale), so I'm worried more about losing too fast than too slow and what to change to adjust my loss rate down just a fraction. If it keeps up at this rate another week then I'll cut back exercise a little to keep my loss rate around 2 lbs/week.

Meanwhile feel free to check my diet and exercise logs to see if there's anything in them that gives you ideas for your situation. The important thing to note is that in general, *I am not hungry* on my current food intake. What I'm doing is working for me and you just need to find what works for you.

If you do start to exercise, use the concept of "target heart rate" to gauge your intensity (web-search the term, lots of info out there). People with no exercise history often think they have to go run as fast as they can until they can hardly stand, to count it as 'exercise'. But for fat loss a fairly comfortable pace with a little but of sweating and puffing is all you need. Heart rate is the most convenient way to stay at the exercise intensity that burns fat efficiently.
  • lalee93
    lalee93 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I have just glanced through your diary for about the last ten days worth of meals. First off, you should be congratulated for the days that you have stayed under your goal. 1400ish calories is a pretty tight constraint and you are doing fairly well with it!! Way to go.

Next, I notice that you are logging plenty of "quick add calories". What are those calories made up of? Are you just adding a number in when you eat something and are not exactly sure how many calories are in the food? I would definitely log more carefully if I were you.

I noticed that you are drinking a lot of your calories. Half and half in your coffee every morning, for example, could easily be switched for another dairy product to be put in your coffee. I really enjoy using Silk Almond Milk. It has some flavor (kinda tastes like a hazelnut creamer, or something of that sort) while it also gives the coffee the tan color that I feel coffee should be and gives it a good mouth feel. I also use Splenda in my coffee and really enjoy it, but some people would rather not use artificial sweetner, and if that is your preference, I respect that. You could also make the switch from whole milk to 2%. I grew up on whole milk and notice very little difference between the two, but there is quite a bit of difference in calorie intake between the two. Also, I see multiple soft drinks. If these are your absolute favorite, you can include them in your diet, but you will need to make cuts else where. Perhaps cutting those out or finding diet alternatives (if you are open to that idea) would help you maintain a calorie deficit.

I also noticed a lot of items in your "snacks" column that have basically no nutritional benefit. I'm normally not one to critique this, as I too love those kinds of items, but if they don't fit into your daily allowance, they just don't. Perhaps cut back on the candy and sweets, or spread them out farther throughout the day. I completely understand not being satisfied until you fulfill a craving, but maybe you should concentrate on when you meet that need. Perhaps two or three gummi bears after each meal would fulfill that craving rather than mindlessly eating an entire serving.

Of course, adding veggies is a great thing, especially for satiety. I want to feel full! I'm not sure what these other people are talking about with being "content" :blushing: . Eating lots of veggies with your meal can help expand your stomach so that you reach that feeling of "gut busting full" without consuming a lot of calories.

I hope that some of this helps you with your weight loss journey. I am not an expert, but these are some things that I have noticed that help get me through the day. Whatever you do, don't give up! Even eating 500 calories over your goal per day, you are still in a deficit. You are still going to lose weight. You are still helping your body. You can do this.

11837343.png
  • Drevious
    Drevious Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Here is what you NEED to do...PLAN =) Plan your meals for the week. Make it detailed. Count up the calories. Buy a scale, measuring cups, ziplocks, and tubberware. Dedicate a day for planning, grocery shopping, cooking, and preparing. I like to measure out everything and make each meal ready to go for the week. All week you don't have to think about it again! You just grab it from the fridge and go. Let me know if you have any questions or want any more advice on how to do this. I'm happy to help =)
  • Eleanorjanethinner
    Eleanorjanethinner Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    I have went over 3476 cal for 5 days over a total of 6 days, they were random days not consecutive, I know exercise would help me greatly but I lack motivation to start or even keep going, I enjoy the way you feel after sweating sessions. I also have a 18 mnth old who I have to bring everywhere which makes it more difficult to just get up and go to the gym, Im a person who has to have major exertion during a workout to feel accomplished. I wish I had a physical partner to help motivate me with the exercising part, my spouse isn't a gym person, he's the type that gets on a machine for 5 minutes then gets off and walks around while I am on my gym machine. its frustrating to take him bc he just does nothing while I go to achieve something. I feel like he's pushing me to hurry up. I'd also like to try like HIIT training or weights but have no idea what to do, I guess its overwhelming, I would like to get the consistency of cardio at the gym down before starting weights. I know it takes a month or something like that to get a habit down, I also use a food scale to measure my food.

Hi, just dropping in to say that a couple of years ago I was completely sedentary. I worked in a job where I sat all day, drove everywhere I went in the car and didn't exercise at all.

I started by being dropped 15 min away from work and walking there are back. This was hard work to start with! Then I went for 15-20 min walks in lunch too. Then I started yoga classes, and Zumba...

Put your 18 month old in a pram (stroller) and go for a short walk outside every day. Put headphones on with some pumping music, sniff the fresh air and enjoy. You don't need to go to the gym or do anything fancy to start with!
  • LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    I disagree with prior poster's suggestion of switching to 2% milk in your coffee.

Studies show people drinking low fat milk tend to gain more than those drinking whole milk.

Other studies show that fat in micelles (ie: cream) is an appetite suppressant (the researchers were looking to make a synthetic version they could patent, to which my reaction is "why, when there's already a cheap natural product that does exactly what you're trying to accomplish?")

But--I'm coming from a low-carb perspective. We don't worry much about fat calories, just reducing carb-calories and looking for protein.
  • Eleanorjanethinner
    Eleanorjanethinner Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    If your husband isn't interested in exercising, see if he can watch your baby while you work out. For me, I'd go over goal many days if it weren't for my daily exercise. Plus, after having worked out, you don't want to "waste" it by eating bad so it's a win/win situation! My advice would be to add exercise. No excuses, just start. Even if you go for a brisk walk or jog.....just get moving!

Absolutely your husband should be watching his baby! Give them a chance to bond and enjoy spending time together. Give you some time off... it's a necessity, I think!
  • love8383
    love8383 Posts: 169
    Options
    microwaveable steamed veggies are only 100 calories, non fat greek yogurt is 80 calories, salad with fat free ranch dressing only 25 calories for 2 tablespoons, 1 banana 110 calories, ....these things are quite filling.
  • pleasurelittletreasure
    pleasurelittletreasure Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I think changing your perception of 'instant gratification' will help you also. Yes, I want to lose weight as fast as the next person. But I didn't want to be starving all the time and have that jeopardize my goals. So, I settled for 1lb a week instead of 2. Do I wish it were more? Sure! Am I happy at the end of the day? Heck, yes! I am able to eat enough to feel satisfied, exercise a little more if I want a little more (and what they are saying about exercise helping curb your appetite is true!), look at my log at the end of the day and *BAM* - that is instant gratification for you: a good day, no red. I go to sleep ready to conquer the next day. And even though I set my goal to lose 1lb a week, I'm actually losing it a little bit faster.

And I'm no great exerciser, either. A half hour here, another half hour there. My successes come with pre-logging and choosing foods that give me a lot of crunch or flavor and some bulk in my stomach. Right now I am enjoying all the summer fruits. Low cal, lots of mouth feel, loads of satisfaction. It hasn't been what you might call instant gratification right now, but perhaps you can see how this can be a daily instant gratification. And check out my ticker. Losing is a great motivator, no matter what speed.
  • sammanchester
    sammanchester Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Hey - I just checked your diary. You have so many cals lost in sauces and extras - use less mayo, ranch etc and cut back on the dairy - cheese, milk etc. and you'll be fine. After a while you really start to appreciate the taste of stuff so you can use less and not notice it. Keep it up! :smile:
  • tracymayo1
    tracymayo1 Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    I think the main issue is you are not allowing yourself enough calories by setting your weight loss goal per week too high at 2lbs/week.
    You are more than welcome to look through my diary - I eat what I want and remain within my alloted 1530 calories (no exercise) MOST days.

I know you want results fast - but the reality is that it won't happen.
    I quit smoking almost 2 years ago this November - and that is why I put on all my weight.
    I would eat instead of smoke, plus smoking speeds up your metabolism - so if you keep eating like you were PRE quitting - then you will keep putting weight on.

Now that you quit smoking - you are fighting a battle that is going to be that little bit tougher - so I sincerely hope you drop your weight loss goal to 1lb a week (some weeks you may lose more regardless..or not lose anything - it happens) but it needs to be realistic and attainable. If you are always hungry where you are now at just over 1400 calories - then you arent doing yourself any favors.

If you are starving all the time, you are going to cheat.. which will add to the vicious circle you are fighting now.
    Feel free to friend me if you need to talk, or just want to have more people to encourage you. you CAN do it - but you need to NOT set yourself up for failure...

Edit to add: I also noticed your calories are mostly from condiments etc.. and the soda! Try cutting out JUST the soda for a week - replace it with water (even if you flavor it) and see what happens... I bet you get a surprise...
  • Ajmoreman
    Ajmoreman Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Perfectly worded! It took me several weeks to retrain my brain for what kinds of foods to eat as well.

Stick with it - it'll get better, we promise!!!
  • Jess__I__Can
    Jess__I__Can Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Stop trying to feel full and start trying to feel not hungry -- two different things. It takes time. Best of luck.
  • joanna_82
    joanna_82 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Try a few weeks with your goal set to 1lb a week. Just see what happens. Progress is progress no matter how slow.

I have mine set at 0.5lb per week and I've been at this 7 weeks and while I have only lost 10 pounds I've made huge progress with my diet and how I eat and what i choose- which is more important to me than the weight loss number. I want to eat properly for the rest of my life not just while I'm trying to lose weight!

After having a quick look at your diary, I would echo other comments. Try more home cooked stuff rather than fast food. Fruit and vegetables are the key. Lots of small lower calorie foods will fill you up much more than the one or two high calorie meals.

If you have been in the past someone who liked your junk food, liked sweet stuff and snacks, it is hard to stop having them. But its about incorporating them into your diet occasionally, in a balanced way, rather than having them every day.

I log every day and I have 1650 calories and I would say for the most part I don't feel hungry.

Try a few small changes to the diet along with lowering the weight loss goal and see how you go.

Good luck.
  • Vivianna777
    Vivianna777 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I think a couple people have already said this, but distract yourself. I found when I was still loosing the best distraction is to go for a walk. If I thought I was still hungry after dinner I'd go for a walk for 30- 45 minutes. When I'd get back I was usually not hungry, but if I was I would have some exercise calories I could eat back.

Thanks for this; I too have trouble keeping within my caloric limits. Not because I feel hungry, but because (I think) I'm bored (I usually snack in the evening, after everything is done and kids are in bed).
  • euronorris
    euronorris Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    A few things:

Ditch the instant gratification attitude. You didn't gain the weight in a couple of weeks, you're not going to lose it in a couple of weeks. It will take time, there will be ups and downs, but with the right attitude you WILL do it.

Reduce the processed/junk food, and introduce more natural stuff. For example, you could have 150g of full fat, natural yoghurt, with some berries (of your choice), thrown in, a banana, and either a soup or a salad for lunch, for the same amount of calories as you currently eating with just one burger. It'll fill you up more, and for longer, and you will be feeding your body with some great vitamins and minerals.

Increase your calorie goal. 1200 is clearly not sustainable for you, or you wouldn't be struggling. There's no point getting that 'instant gratification' loss of 2lbs in the first week, if you're not going to be able to stick at it the next week and gain some back. Not only is counter productive to losing weight, but it's terrible for your motivation and self esteem. You're literally setting yourself up for failure by putting so much pressure on yourself like that.

Exercise will allow you to eat more. Walking is exercise, and you can definitely fit that in with the baby. There are a number of apps you can get on your phone (I use Endomondo) that will track your distance and speed etc. If you want to feel a sense of accomplishment with it, then compete against yourself. Time a 1 mile walk. Next time you walk that mile, aim to beat your time. Keep going with beating the time/increasing the distance. It will all help to give you extra calories to use/increase your deficit.

Well done on giving up smoking. I know how hard it is, and I've tried to do it at the same time as losing weight too. It was hard, and I lapsed several times on both fronts, but keep plugging on. Keep at it! :)
  • Chevy_Quest
    Chevy_Quest Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    A few things:

Ditch the instant gratification attitude. You didn't gain the weight in a couple of weeks, you're not going to lose it in a couple of weeks. It will take time, there will be ups and downs, but with the right attitude you WILL do it.

Reduce the processed/junk food, and introduce more natural stuff. For example, you could have 150g of full fat, natural yoghurt, with some berries (of your choice), thrown in, a banana, and either a soup or a salad for lunch, for the same amount of calories as you currently eating with just one burger. It'll fill you up more, and for longer, and you will be feeding your body with some great vitamins and minerals.

Increase your calorie goal. 1200 is clearly not sustainable for you, or you wouldn't be struggling. There's no point getting that 'instant gratification' loss of 2lbs in the first week, if you're not going to be able to stick at it the next week and gain some back. Not only is counter productive to losing weight, but it's terrible for your motivation and self esteem. You're literally setting yourself up for failure by putting so much pressure on yourself like that.

Exercise will allow you to eat more. Walking is exercise, and you can definitely fit that in with the baby. There are a number of apps you can get on your phone (I use Endomondo) that will track your distance and speed etc. If you want to feel a sense of accomplishment with it, then compete against yourself. Time a 1 mile walk. Next time you walk that mile, aim to beat your time. Keep going with beating the time/increasing the distance. It will all help to give you extra calories to use/increase your deficit.

Well done on giving up smoking. I know how hard it is, and I've tried to do it at the same time as losing weight too. It was hard, and I lapsed several times on both fronts, but keep plugging on. Keep at it! :)

@Euro - This is very well written and right on point! I wish I had read something like this 10 years ago and then maybe I wouldn't be where I am today. Great Post! :drinker:
  • Greywalk
    Greywalk Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Exercise because afterward I don't feel hungry..and eat protein which my body needs to rebuild muscles. Even if you lose all the weight what will you look like without toning what you have?
  • euronorris
    euronorris Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    @Euro - This is very well written and right on point! I wish I had read something like this 10 years ago and then maybe I wouldn't be where I am today. Great Post! :drinker:

Thank you.

And you and me both! lol It's taken me a while to learn these lessons myself.
  • BeautifulMe322
    BeautifulMe322 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    THIS!