Any tips to avoid boredom on the treadmill?

Options
13»

Replies

• Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options
    I've found that electronic music motivates me the best while running. You can run to the beat and the fast pace of the music gives me more energy

I about kill myself when I try to keep pace! But it does work.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Walking outside is an option...for only half of the year, as I live in Winterpeg!

Not if you dress properly. :flowerforyou: I ran outside (in freezing cold and LOTS of snow - we got almost 200" this past winter) all the way through early January when I got sick and was out of commission for over two weeks. It took so long for my cough to go away that I had to start back slowing with low intensity indoor workout videos and didn't resume running outside until April. :grumble:
    Having been in Winnipeg in January, I'm gonna agree with her. Not sure I'd say half the year... though the mosquitos are a bear as well... but no, I wouldn't run outside in Winnipeg in mid winter.
  • Bryttani_Marshe
    Options
    Music and Thoughts
  • Idontwanttobeahamplanet
    Options
    Walking outside is an option...for only half of the year, as I live in Winterpeg!

Not if you dress properly. :flowerforyou: I ran outside (in freezing cold and LOTS of snow - we got almost 200" this past winter) all the way through early January when I got sick and was out of commission for over two weeks. It took so long for my cough to go away that I had to start back slowing with low intensity indoor workout videos and didn't resume running outside until April. :grumble:
    Having been in Winnipeg in January, I'm gonna agree with her. Not sure I'd say half the year... though the mosquitos are a bear as well... but no, I wouldn't run outside in Winnipeg in mid winter.

Yeah, Winnipeg winters are brutal. Usually -40 C, and you still have to factor in the windchill of -50 C.
  • AmyG1982
    AmyG1982 Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    I PVR a few of my favourite tv shows and only let myself watch them when on the treadmill or exercise bike. Sometimes I go longer than I'd planned cuz I just can't stop watching.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    I found that the only way to break the boredom of a treadmill...get off of it!

Treadmills have their place but after about 10 minutes I feel like a zombie. There is a C25K podcast for doing on the treadmill. You might google that. At least it would break it up some.
  • RHachicho
    RHachicho Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    I agree outside running/walking is better for you than the treadmill. Which propels you forward.
    Mine must be running backwards. :bigsmile:

Haha I know what your thinking but honestly it does. when your foot is in contact with it the very fact that the ground is in motion assists our muscles with the forward component of your movement. It's weird I know. And it hardly ruins treadmill exercise. But given the choice between slighter better exercise that i love and slightly worse exercise that I HATE WITH THE PASSION OF 2000 RANDY MEL GIBSONS!!! I think I will take the exercise I love xD
  • mitchiejo
    mitchiejo Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I love my Kindle for avoiding boredom. I either watch a movie or read a book. If I'm at the gym and still get bored I like to watch the people in front of me lifting weights. I like getting ideas from them.
  • mtruitt01
    mtruitt01 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Talk a walk outside and listen to TED talks. Smile at the kids and wave to the neighbors. Repeat.
  • runfatmanrun
    runfatmanrun Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    RUN OUTSIDE. Dreadmill pretty much sucks and should be avoided at all costs.

Another vote for this. But treadmills do have some benefits. They are great for being able to walk at an incline for an extended period and, as others have mentioned, they are good for helping you play with speeds.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    I just got a treadmill and plan on using it a lot. The problem is, I couldn't do it for long periods of time without watching netflix. Any other tips to keep walking in a treadmill exciting?

I usually use my Ipod, but it'll never be exciting.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    Netflix is a great idea , I do it. I also watch random movies, TV shows, basically channel surfing. And listen to music.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

Another vote for this. But treadmills do have some benefits. They are great for being able to walk at an incline for an extended period and, as others have mentioned, they are good for helping you play with speeds.

Yeah, I'm actually getting over my hatred of them because I realized that I have a much harder time motivating myself to vary my speed and push to go faster outside. I've been getting in too much of a rut with my comfortable long run pace. If I get used to going faster on the treadmill it seems to carry over somewhat to outside runs, and I can actually get a good sense of what running at faster speeds feels like.

I still can't do it for long, but I'm going to try to learn, since this past winter certainly made outdoor running challenging (icy sidewalks more than the brutal cold) for long stretches, and I don't even live in Winnepeg!
  • RunningMyPugandPapi
    RunningMyPugandPapi Posts: 26 Member
    Options

And, if you live in Phoenix like me, they prevent you from having to run in 100+ degree heat all summer!

I save certain shows as only for treadmill shows. My husband hates my trashy reality shows, so I only let myself watch them when I run on the treadmill in the other room. I've become addicted to this particularly bad one (Party Down South!) and I think I've lost 2 pounds just from that ;)!!

And, if it still gets boring, start playing with the speeds and inclines to challenge yoursel. Can't think about how bored you are when you're running at your fastest possible speed for 30 seconds - you're just watching thta clock waiting for it to end!
  • ThatMouse
    ThatMouse Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Zombies, Run! GET ZOMBIES, RUN!

You may have some difficulty doing the sprints (which can be disabled), but the program does work on a treadmill. It's ridiculously fun, really engaging and the story and characters are surprisingly endearing. I know they have 2 seasons right now and I've heard about a 3rd but haven't looked at it.

That aside, I like to make my playlists while I run. I listen through a whole album (or most of it) while running and assign songs to playlists as I get to them. It's nice and I get playlists to use during my strength training or elsewhere without having to sit on my *kitten* and figure it out when I'd rather do other things.
  • tangelo11
    tangelo11 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Podcasts!! This American Life - excellent stories on all kind of topics. Radio Lab is great also.