Why Do We Hate Being Fat So Much?

Options

Replies

• KeishaGettinFit
    Options
    I don't hate being "fat" I just hate knowing that I'm not healthy because my bmi. I wish to b thick and built with a low body fat percentage. Never skinny
  • Tanie98
    Tanie98 Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    This has been on my mind this morning. I've hated being fat since around the 6th grade. I wasn't bullied, made fun of in any great way at all, and wasn't fat shamed at home. Yet the realization that I was "fat" hurt and upset me. I didn't like the look of my doughy body compared to the lean boys around me. It set off a battle with my adipose tissue that continues to this day.

Why does nearly everyone seem to hate being fat (or hate others being fat) so much? Is it socialized? Inate? Do we hate the look of it, the feel of it? Is it more about what other people think? I've thought before that I do believe I'd lose weight even if I was the only person left on earth.

What do you think it is?

its unhealthy
  • honsi
    honsi Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Yeah I think most of it is just social. There are cultures where being overweight is enviable but that's not really the western ideal right now. Honestly the most attractive thing is normally the thing that the smallest portion of the population has and others can not easily get so fitness, wealth, large physical endowments, intellect...

We want want we do not have but might be able to get.

Personally I love being fat. I get to eat whatever I want and don't have to get up and move all the time unless I run out of soda. When I am trim I am always doing stuff and it's a huge distraction from surfing the net and reading / writing. Every few years I like to drop weight though just to mix things up a bit.
    Love it! I got more fabric for the same money when I bought clothes, took up more space on the bus, everyone expected me to eat all the pies. I could sit my dinner plate on my belly and watch TV. I had great boobs. Everyone else got to feel superior . So many joys. I liked being a chubster.
  • mrbyte
    mrbyte Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I think it basically comes down to people don't think fat people have any self control therefore they eat like gluttons and put themselves where they are. It may be partially true, but we are all programmed to love carbs and our diet being pushed all around us on commercials and store shelves are creating a population that eats what it considers normal. A paradigm shift is needed in how people view food in order to enable themselves to control their body compostion.

%100 agree. Food is for fuel, and it's great if it's tasty, too, but too many of us developed the mindset that food is a way to stimulate the pleasure centers in the brain, without regard for the nutritional value of it or whether or not we needed the calories. With the exception of serious athletes, who among us ever goes, "Uh oh! I'm so low on calories, but I've already exceeded my vitamin and mineral needs, what I could really use is some empty calories in the form of cookies!"

I've been on 20% carbs in my macros for 3 months now. So when I do eat a processed sugar treat like Angel food cake with my organic fruit it's like crack. You can realize just how sweet something is when you don't eat sweets. The general population is numb this this and eat heavily processed sugars and carbs for that serotonin rush without even knowing it.

Yep, even though I'm high carb vegan, I do intermittent fasting and I'm keto-adapted from a lot of time doing low carb in the past, so I actually stay in ketosis most of the time and go in and out of it easily. I bet if I ate a huge slice of chocolate cake right now I'd bounce off the walls. Which, to paraphrase Dr. Lustig, would be good, because it would mean I was burning off the calories. But if I eat cake every time I just want the pleasure of eating cake, I sit there in my chair like a lump, I don't want to move, I feel sad and grouchy and I just want more cake. Some foods are just not good for me. Not saying it happens to everybody, but eating for pleasure does a serious number on my health.

See, I'm exactly the opposite, 99% of the time I'll take one bite out of that cake, go blech too sweet and that'll be it. I'm not big on rice, french fries or any of that stuff, I NEVER eat any form of chips except maybe tortilla chips, and that's only if I'm at a tex-mex place and then it's just a vehicle for shoving green salsa down my gullet. I would just eat the salsa with a spoon if it was socially acceptable and I just leave the rice on my plate, don't even touch it. So I just don't understand this concept that somehow we're all being secretly addicted to processed carbs, if anything, I'm addicted to fats and proteins. Now my HUSBAND, he's strait up Irish potato boy....

I don't know, I just always find it a little silly when people try to blame one part of the equation for the final outcome. I can promise you it wasn't sweets that caused me to pack on extra pounds.

My diet is 80% protein and fats and I'm the leanest I've ever been in the last two decades. I'm approaching 10% bf. It's pretty easy to pinpoint exactly when sugar related diseases started in human history. Macros are very important in a diet especially if you are an athlete. Problems arise when you have high carb and high fat. i.e. Southern cooking where they fry everything with a wrap of carbs. But frying something like green beans in oil without a batter is pretty harmless. If I had to choose the biggest culprit in the modern diet it would certainly be carbs. Most meals in a restaurant or fast food consists of over a 80 to 130 carbs PER meal. Times that by 3 or 4 and add all the deserts and drinks in there and the average overweight person takes in 500+ carbs a day at probably 60% to 70% of their intake.
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,767 Member
    Options
    Why do I hate being fat?

Because when my hip aches, it's a constant reminder that I need to get pressure off it fast.

Because when I look at my mother sitting in her chair, recovering from her hip reconstruction and still overweight, I am reminded that that is exactly where I'm headed if I don't do something about.

Because when I'm on the ice and my coach yells, "More height!" I know that I can't - I don't have the leg muscle to propel nearly 100kg into the air any higher than I already do.

Because when I land a jump in the slightest skew-iff way, the pain that shoots through my ankle, knee and hip reminds me that I'm in a fair way to get injured.

Because I want that Axel, and I've never seen a 100kg skater do an Axel.

Because I want to be able to finish my 1 minute 40 sec technical program without being dead - if I can't do that, how am I supposed to upgrade to 2:10 in the future?

Because I want to be healthy, because I want to live long and be happy. Because I want to tramp all over the world and take selfies in ridiculous places and not be feeling ridiculous. Because the next time I meet one of my sporting idols, I want to look at the picture with pride, not shame.
  • peggymenard
    peggymenard Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    My brother weighed about 300, played golf, tennis and led a pretty active life claiming his doctor said his blood pressure and cholesterol level were good..He died of a heart attack sitting on the edge of his bed one morning when he was in his 60's....I'm 78 and will continue to avoid excess weight and eat healthy for the rest of my life.
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Why do I hate being fat?

Because when my hip aches, it's a constant reminder that I need to get pressure off it fast.

Because when I look at my mother sitting in her chair, recovering from her hip reconstruction and still overweight, I am reminded that that is exactly where I'm headed if I don't do something about.

Because when I'm on the ice and my coach yells, "More height!" I know that I can't - I don't have the leg muscle to propel nearly 100kg into the air any higher than I already do.

Because when I land a jump in the slightest skew-iff way, the pain that shoots through my ankle, knee and hip reminds me that I'm in a fair way to get injured.

Because I want that Axel, and I've never seen a 100kg skater do an Axel.

Because I want to be able to finish my 1 minute 40 sec technical program without being dead - if I can't do that, how am I supposed to upgrade to 2:10 in the future?

Because I want to be healthy, because I want to live long and be happy. Because I want to tramp all over the world and take selfies in ridiculous places and not be feeling ridiculous. Because the next time I meet one of my sporting idols, I want to look at the picture with pride, not shame.

This was very powerful.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    there are statues and paintings covering hundreds of years featuring women considered to be beautiful who have bellies and thighs that these days would be considered fat, but at those times and in those cultures were considered beautiful and feminine. this question reminded me of this article i read a couple months ago about a woman who in 1912 was considered "perfect", and she weighed 171 pounds.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/12/26/perfect-woman-1912_n_2365529.html

She was a perfect pear shape by measurements. Then again, if, as it was reported, she really did have a figure similar to the Venus de Milo, she also had a six pack. She probably really did have more muscle than most of us do now. Maybe it shows that fit was the old skinny as much as that voluptuous was prized more than it is today.

By the way, these body models from the ancient greek and "de milo" times were not really the norm for the time. Being a naked model was not a high profession. These models were probably workers and had farming backgrounds or were slaves or courtesans in a time when having a suntan was a show of the common worker and the elite did nothing all day but live large and have pale skin to show they did not do outdoor work. I will assume that the proviliged persons from that time were sloppy as well.

We don't live in the dark ages anymore (well, you'd think we don't) where being fat is a show of wealth and good health. Lets stay in this century, shall we?

The quoted article on the 'perfect woman' doesn't quite go back that far. It's from 1912. The young woman was compared to the de milo. I stated that, if she was comparable, she did indeed have more muscle tone than most of us have today.

If you kind of squint your eyes and look at representations of the female body across cultures and times, you'll get an impression of a prototypical ideal that is about 20-25% body fat and pretty strong. There are cultural standards and there are human standards. A healthy human woman is in that 25% body fat range and can do a fair amount of work. That seems to be the lynch pin that cultural standards swing around.

It's not just cultural standards. Before advances in medicine, people that carried a little extra fat were better able to survive a serious accident or illness. Today, we have modern medicine and that's why we can also afford to be thinner. :smile:
  • aarnwine2013
    aarnwine2013 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I hated being fat because I didn't feel good or look good. I avoided cameras and missed out on things because I just felt bad about myself.

I was never fat until after my last daughter was born. I guess I got lazy and eat and didn't move much.

I can't believe how much better I look and feel after losing almost 40lbs. It's a different life.

Also, people treat me better. Terrible to say but they do.
  • LumberJacck
    LumberJacck Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    Incidentally, people in 3rd world countries want to be slim just like us first worlders. As an example, it's uncommon to find a slim middle aged person in the Philippines.
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options
    Incidentally, people in 3rd world countries want to be slim just like us first worlders. As an example, it's uncommon to find a slim middle aged person in the Philippines.

Because of us and the rest of the international community that is true. So says the US Army:

http://www.maxwell.syr.edu/uploadedFiles/moynihan/dst/curtis5.pdf

The Obesity Epidemic in the Pacific Islands
    M i c h a e l C u r t i s
    United States Department of Army

Some of the highest levels of obesity in the world are found in the island populations of Oceania. Rates of obesity as high as 75% have been reported in Nauru, Samoa, American Samoa, the Cook Islands, Tonga and French Polynesia. The factors for this epidemic of obesity are a dramatic decrease in physical activity and a dependence on a Western diet. The traditional foods of the islands such as fresh fish, meat and local fruits and vegetables have been replaced by rice, sugar, flour, canned meats, canned fruits and vegetables, soft drinks and beer. The total population of the 21 island nations, territories and commonwealths in the Oceania area is just under 2 million. In a world of 6.3 billion, it is difficult for countries as small as Nauru (pop. 10,000) to compete for health care aid. Such invisibility is just one of the significant barriers that these tiny nations face as they struggle to survive in the new millennium. Progress in the health care sector is hindered by general under funding, concentration in urban areas and on end-stage diseases, and by a dearth of adequately trained personnel, especially in health services planning, management and administration. Policies are necessary to encourage a movement away from Western
    foods to a traditional diet low in fat and calories.

The whole thing is worth a read. Of course the proposed solution is weaksauce, since the author admits no help from outside will be coming, and how will the people of these communities change their economic status in order to afford their own traditional foods again?
  • monicapatituccijones
    monicapatituccijones Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Even during a time when Western culture appreciated a little junk in the trunk in women, it was rare for people to find obesity attractive. It has a lot to do with shape. We've evolved to find the hourglass shape the most attractive, since that particular shape is associated with youth and fertility. It's difficult to get an hourglass when you are morbidly obese. It's actually pretty difficult to have an hourglass when you're too thin, too.

I look at the men around me and the kinds of women they tend to go after, and it's not stick-thin women. They seem to prefer women with a nice hourglass or near-hourglass shape. Marilyn Monroe is the more modern ideal of this. (I hate when overweight women insist on calling themselves "curvy." Maybe they are, maybe they aren't. But being "curvy" doesn't have much to do with body fat.) Having a little extra weight in the boobs and thighs, with a thin middle, is a sign that a) you are not already pregnant b) you are healthy enough to support a growing fetus and give birth to it and c) you are young enough to get pregnant, since women tend to pack on belly fat during middle age.

As for men, from en evo psych perspective, the alpha males were the ones who could fight off invaders and bring in the hunt. It's tough to do that when you're squishy around the middle. Extra fat is also a sign of aging for men, which is associated with less virility.

It makes sense that we would still be primed to look for signs of fertility even when we're not consciously looking to procreate.
  • MindyG150
    MindyG150 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    Because at 50 it doesn't feel so good!
  • SharonCMach
    SharonCMach Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Because society sees being "thin" or "skinny" or "fit" as sexy. If being "fat" or "overweight" was seen by society as sexy, then we would have alot less skinny, thin, healthy, fit people in this world & less people judging others by their looks.

Why do I hate being fat....well there are many factors. My main reasons are I hate the way I look, whether it's fat or skinny, but I hate myself less when I'm skinny. Im insecure, but I worry less about my husband leaving me for someone else when Im skinny. Me wanting to be skinny has nothing to do with me wanting to be healthy. I love food and the truth is if I was old & single I would more than likely be fat or overweight. I want to be skinny cause society says I'm suppose to be & it hurts less when my husband looks at other woman.
  • YamaMaya1
    YamaMaya1 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I hate being fat because I don't feel attractive, so I will work hard to fix it.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I hated being fat because I didn't feel good or look good. I avoided cameras and missed out on things because I just felt bad about myself.

I was never fat until after my last daughter was born. I guess I got lazy and eat and didn't move much.

I can't believe how much better I look and feel after losing almost 40lbs. It's a different life.

Also, people treat me better. Terrible to say but they do.

You treat you better too.
  • mactaffy84
    mactaffy84 Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Yeah I think most of it is just social. There are cultures where being overweight is enviable but that's not really the western ideal right now. Honestly the most attractive thing is normally the thing that the smallest portion of the population has and others can not easily get so fitness, wealth, large physical endowments, intellect...

We want want we do not have but might be able to get.

Personally I love being fat. I get to eat whatever I want and don't have to get up and move all the time unless I run out of soda. When I am trim I am always doing stuff and it's a huge distraction from surfing the net and reading / writing. Every few years I like to drop weight though just to mix things up a bit.

If you love being fat, why are you losing weight? Me thinks you are not being very honest here.....
  • MichaelRow
    MichaelRow Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I want to not be exhausted after spending time playing with my daughter.

I want to wear nice clothes and feel comfortable in them.

I want to wear the bowtie my wife got me for my first father's day and not feel like it's choking me.

I want to go on longer walks with my dog and feel great afterwards.

I want to tie my shoes and not feel my stomach get in the way.

I want my body to look proportional so I don't feel like I have to hide myself when a camera's pointing at me.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    I didn't like being fat because I felt horrible and no clothing suited me. Now I am thinner and I feel great and I look good in clothes.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    Well, for me it is because I see being overweight as unhealthy and reduces my attractiveness potential, my confidence, makes clothes harder to find, and makes intimacy more difficult and uncomfortable at times.