Strength Training WITHOUT the Gym Membership?

Options
After a couple months of focusing on my diet and getting lots of walking/other cardio in, I am looking to add strength training and muscle building routines. I know I should probably have been doing this to begin with though!

I'm wondering if anyone has tips on what can be done at home for now, maybe with my own body weight, resistance bands, or a couple of light dumbbells? Or any videos, websites, or books on the subject? For at least the summer and fall I'd like to avoid the gym membership. Thanks for any hints! (And yes, I'm aware I can just "google it" and find out for myself, but I'd like the support and to hear what's worked for others.)

Replies

• sstermole
    sstermole Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Are you looking for weightlifting routines, or more general strength training (planks, squats, etc)?
  • Stage14
    Stage14 Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    You Are Your Own Gym (book w/ supplemental articles and videos online
    Nerd Fitness (website)
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    You could get kettlebells, or dumbbells and YouTube has many free routines. Those are very simple to do at home.
  • mikeyrs
    mikeyrs Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I recommend you try the Runtastic Pump-It Apps available for iOS, Android, and Windows Phone platforms. There are four Apps: Sit-ups, Squats, Push-Ups, and Pull-Ups. All use the phone's accelerometer or touch screen to count your reps. These are truly excellent Apps for a basic bodyweight training program, all four Apps sync with MFP, and all four are free. Your only cost will be a pair of gloves and a chin-up bar, unless you go to a children's playground to do the Pull-Ups. These Apps are Five Stars in my ratings book. You can't go wrong here.

If you're looking for new friends, and you want ideas and info regarding basic exercises that really have an impact on your waistline and overall fitness, I can probably help a bit. Feel free to add me if you like.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I lieu of a gym membership we just purchased a barbell and plates and a bench with squat rack. The new bench we got has the leg curl and leg extension attachment. Plus we already had an EZ bar and some other plates as well as dumbbells and such.
  • gnzlsg
    gnzlsg Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Both Netflix and Hulu have free videos to follow, that incorporate hand weights and body resistance.

FREE........
  • gnzlsg
    gnzlsg Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I lieu of a gym membership we just purchased a barbell and plates and a bench with squat rack. The new bench we got has the leg curl and leg extension attachment. Plus we already had an EZ bar and some other plates as well as dumbbells and such.

Who is we???
  • brisingr86
    brisingr86 Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    I'm not consistent enough to get full benefits, but I like Jillian Michaels (I have Ripped in 30 and 30 Day Shred, think I like Ri30 more) that incorporates the strength moves and the cardio. I started with a pair of 3lb dumbells; doing more with 5lb dumbells now. Also agree a lot can be done with bodyweight, pushups, situps, squats. Good luck!
  • IPAkiller
    IPAkiller Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Dead Lifts...
    Spring-Clean.jpg
  • CaraRahl
    CaraRahl Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    fitnessblender.com...I cannot recommend their website enough...free full-length videos for all ranges of fitness and different styles of workout...I use their website almost every day, these guys are awesome
  • cmaries123
    cmaries123 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the replies! Can't wait to get home and check some out. Eventually (when it gets colder) I'll hit the gym and maybe utilize a personal trainer a few times, but in the meantime I just want to make sure I don't lose muscle.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    squats, pullups, pushups, dips,
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options

Who is we???

Lol, my husband and I. Thankfully I don't have two personalities ;)
  • cmaries123
    Options
    I'm really just wanting to start strength training in general so my cardio is more effective.
  • cmaries123
    Options
    Awesome. Thank you!! And I really like that playground idea...they should make gyms more like playgrounds, monkey bars and all :)
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    fitnessblender.com...I cannot recommend their website enough...free full-length videos for all ranges of fitness and different styles of workout...I use their website almost every day, these guys are awesome

another one for fitnessblender! You can customize your video search by length of workout, type of equipment (or no equipment), strength training, cardio, yoga, difficulty of workout, etc. It's really awesome! I do all of my strength training at home via this website and some dumbbells or just bodyweight.
  • sammama5
    sammama5 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I'm with whoever suggested Jillian Michaels. Using your own bodyweight is the safest way to start adding muscle. Her Banish Fat Boost Metabolism is 45 minutes of mostly cardio with just bodyweight resistance on a few things. 30 Day Shred is good, and you can always bump it up with increasing weights, but it's shorter. I usually take a 30 minute brisk walk or ride my bike after a short video. If you have old injuries, it's best to try it without adding weights just to be sure you aren't going to flare up some old problems.
    Good luck!
  • EuphonyChloeH
    EuphonyChloeH Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Take a look at Bodyrocktv - you can do a lot of the stuff at home. You can find many of their challenge videos on YouTube.
  • laurasnyder411
    laurasnyder411 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    BUMP