Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    i love brower47

Don't we all?
    mine.:angry:
  • redversustheblue
    redversustheblue Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Man, people are so grouchy when they're hungry.

She did thank me after she completed her routine, something along the lines of "That was much better". Also by 'reps' I mean she was just sliding around, and the plates were clanging. She was definitely cheating herself out of a decent workout.

I agree about the unsolicited advice, and will likely continue to keep to myself. But she looked lost, so I don't regret offering her help.

Also, "cardio bunny" is a generality. If you assume I'm using it to refer to you specifically, obviously you have some own inner struggles with it. I do plenty of cardio, but don't feel the need to spend 2 hours on the elliptical watching tv at the lowest resistance. For those who do? Soldier on! It's your workout.

If you don't mind the fat girl running on the treadmill, I'm certainly not going to mind the bunny on the bike. ;)

Something for your low blood sugar. My gift to you:

ir4bo0.gif

Uh, obviously you're not talking specifically about me. I'm just saying its just as rude as for me to walk in and assume everyone in the gym lifting weights and everyone on this forum that lifts weights are "meatheads" and "dumb jocks" and whatever else you wouldn't want to be called. It's all uncalled for, no matter who you're talking about. You're the one who brought it up all judgmentally.
  • amandzor
    amandzor Posts: 386 Member
    Options

I'd bet money that most of the people you're accusing of being hungry eat more than you do.

Hah! I meant that it's lunch time. Also, is this a contest now? "I ate more than you today! I'm the BEST!"

Lets have a chocolate milk guzzle at the lunch table!

I don't drink chocolate milk.

And it wasn't lunch time where I was. L2TimeZone

As California and Washington share the same time zone...I learned! I demand a gold star!
  • amandzor
    Options
    Uh, obviously you're not talking specifically about me. I'm just saying its just as rude as for me to walk in and assume everyone in the gym lifting weights and everyone on this forum that lifts weights are "meatheads" and "dumb jocks" and whatever else you wouldn't want to be called. It's all uncalled for, no matter who you're talking about. You're the one who brought it up all judgmentally.

I prefer meat on the grill to meat on the head. But whatever floats your boat. Text lacks proper inflection, and was not intended to be judgmental at all. People read in to it what they will. However, if you were offended, I apologize.

Wanna share a turkey burger?
  • redversustheblue
    redversustheblue Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options

I prefer meat on the grill to meat on the head. But whatever floats your boat. Text lacks proper inflection, and was not intended to be judgmental at all. People read in to it what they will. However, if you were offended, I apologize.

I suppose so. If there's bacon.
  • amandzor
    Options

What would a turkey burger be without bacon? I'm not a heathen. Sheesh.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

I'd bet money that most of the people you're accusing of being hungry eat more than you do.

Hah! I meant that it's lunch time. Also, is this a contest now? "I ate more than you today! I'm the BEST!"

Lets have a chocolate milk guzzle at the lunch table!

I don't drink chocolate milk.

And it wasn't lunch time where I was. L2TimeZone

As California and Washington share the same time zone...I learned! I demand a gold star!

And yet it was not lunch time where I was.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,668 Member
    Options
    I was fortunate when I was younger that I got "asked" all the time about my workouts. Now when I "butt" in, people will take the time to listen.:laugh:

A.C.E. Certified Personal & Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • amandzor
    Options
    I was fortunate when I was younger that I got "asked" all the time about my workouts. Now when I "butt" in, people will take the time to listen.:laugh:

A.C.E. Certified Personal & Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

I'd hire you. But I'd have to pay in nickels.
  • margannmks
    margannmks Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Crap, i dont know but i think i use the row machine right, an old guy said i had good form, but i do notice a guy do some weird dip the handles down when it goes in front of his knees, it makes an annoying clicking noise, so i dont do it that way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0r_ZPXJLtg

The two big mistakes I see is people who don't pull towards the lower ribs (with the bar ending up at the throat, head, etc) or flinging themselves back so violently that they are practically laying flat on their backs (and not practicing control).

The cutest thing I ever saw was a big buff guy taking his little toddler and putting him on the seat and helping him "row". The seat moved all of a couple inches but that kid was proud.
    Thank you, i am doing it right, i watched other vids before but this one was better.
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I'd probably be annoyed with someone making suggestions...unsolicited suggestions.

The more tactful approach is striking up conversation later about your workout and her workout. If I was having a conversation with someone and got suggestions, I'd be totally cool with it.
  • MysteriousDreamer
    MysteriousDreamer Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    This is the first time I've ever actually said something to someone working out. Usually, at the gym I"m focused, in my zone, and have no interest in conversations.

That being said, I saw a heavier girl (probably 260) on the leg press machine, just like jamming along at less than 100 lbs, and clearly had no idea what she was doing. When she realized I was watching her, she blinked awkwardly (I am the queen of awkward) and I mentioned that if she upped her weight, and did fewer reps, with 8,9,10 being fairly difficult, she'd have better results.

She looked at me, confused, so I mentioned that as far as legs go, you pretty much press your weight every time you stand up. So, start at your weight, and add a little from there, because she's a lot stronger than she thinks. The fog seemed to clear a little, I apologized for butting in, and went back to my own things.

I hope I at least offered her some food for thought, or maybe I just made a really awkward conversation.

Either way, I was wondering if anyone has had this happen to them (on either side) and if not, what you would do if you saw someone struggling with properly using equipment?

I would actually thank you, if it was me you were trying to help. Never happened to me, but I would hope someone would help me if I was doing something wrong.

If I was doing something not quite right, I would be grateful for any advice I could get.
  • LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options

What would a turkey burger be without bacon? I'm not a heathen. Sheesh.

I'm a heathen (actually, a rationalist), and I assure you even *we* put bacon on our turkey-burgers.

add: maybe you are confusing us with Luddites.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    This thread makes me think of the new ninja turtles movie coming out.