Running in the Heat

Options
2»

Replies

• 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    Options
    For those people who have been experiencing a lot of heat with the weather recently; how do you still go running? Where I am it has been pushing 27 degrees and it is so warm I feel like passing out even with walking. I know I could run in the morning but I start work at 7:00am and then when I come home I often need early night to catch up on my sleep. I am finding it hard to stick to running three times a week because I can just never seem to fit it in.

Agree with previous posters@layering up, hydration & running at a slower pace. The only additional tip I'd suggest for you, is to breath through your nose [slow and deeper breaths] and not mouth or the combination of nose and mouth.

It took a week for my body to get used to the heat this year@ 7pm with the sun still out and temps around 86 to 92F; with humidity levels at 57% +. My AM run is usually way more comfortable, granted I start feeling the temperature change between 6 to 7am. You kinda have stay the course, till your body reacclimates. DON'T QUIT!
  • Lundatica
    Lundatica Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hydration is key, and that's for all day. Not just while you run. Hydrate throughout the day. Drink lots of water. Drink before you are thirsty. I ran 2 miles in 20 minutes and biked 20 miles in under an hour yesterday and went through 192oz of water (it was 101 degrees)

That being said, 27 degrees celsius is like 82 degrees fahrenheit. That's not heat. :)

I'm not sure where the OP is at, but speaking from experience, Hubby and I live in central Alberta where it is honestly -20 to -30C for 9 months of the year. It starts snowing in October and doesn't stop until June 1st. (even in July sometimes) So in the summer when it gets up to 27-30 ish, it's HOT! I consider it shorts weather at 15C.

So I feel you OP, We've been going really late at night when it cools off.
    I lived in Buffalo for many, many years. I understand long winters and not being used to heat in the summer. But 80 degrees still isn't THAT hot, even by those standards. And I have worn shorts when it was 60 for the same reasons.

Not sure how it helps OP to hear what you personally don't find hot. But I'm sure you feel good about yourself now even if you were completely pointless and worse than unhelpful.

(OP, I'm from Sweden. 27C is torture to me but my weirdo mom loves the heat.)
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Hydration is key, and that's for all day. Not just while you run. Hydrate throughout the day. Drink lots of water. Drink before you are thirsty. I ran 2 miles in 20 minutes and biked 20 miles in under an hour yesterday and went through 192oz of water (it was 101 degrees)

That being said, 27 degrees celsius is like 82 degrees fahrenheit. That's not heat. :)

I'm not sure where the OP is at, but speaking from experience, Hubby and I live in central Alberta where it is honestly -20 to -30C for 9 months of the year. It starts snowing in October and doesn't stop until June 1st. (even in July sometimes) So in the summer when it gets up to 27-30 ish, it's HOT! I consider it shorts weather at 15C.

I lived in Buffalo for many, many years. I understand long winters and not being used to heat in the summer. But 80 degrees still isn't THAT hot, even by those standards. And I have worn shorts when it was 60 for the same reasons.

Not sure how it helps OP to hear what you personally don't find hot. But I'm sure you feel good about yourself now even if you were completely pointless and worse than unhelpful.

Firstly, no one is being rude to the OP or trying to be unhelpful. The question asked about what one should do when running in the heat. The FACT is that 82*F is not that hot which makes the suggestions a person would give to the OP different than if it were 100+ so it is relevant and helpful. Not sure why the need to get your panties in a bunch.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

I was actually quite helpful in my first post. :flowerforyou:

But saying 80 degrees is too hot to exercise sounds like an excuse to me, rather than a true reason.
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    I just get up early so I can beat the heat. this florida sun will melt you right up if you don't.