Short term / Low calorie

Options
2»

Replies

• ElkeKNJ
    ElkeKNJ Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I get a bit scared after reading this topic. MPF calculated 1200 kcal for me, and it seems I eat about 1000 net daily (just started last Monday, do not know how long I will stick with it this time).
    I am ok with losing slowly, want to reach my goal in six months time, and after that maintaining it will be the real challenge for me. But I do not want to jeopardise my health along the way.
    I am only 5 ft 2, so perhaps I am only allowed to eat children's portions.
    Can anyone tell me if I am not eating enough?

And what does skinny fat mean?
  • mayfrayy
    mayfrayy Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I lost around 15lbs in a month eating around 1500cals a day, and squated more then ever. Keep in mind I am still a "beginner" progressively loading.
  • aedreana
    aedreana Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    Thank you OP. That needed to be said and you said it well. There are a whole slew of paranoids on these forums who lie in wait for someone to post a thread advocating quick weight loss, so that they can falsely accuse them of being self-destructive and having an eating disorder.
  • madimurrell12
    Options
    Thank you OP. That needed to be said and you said it well. There are a whole slew of paranoids on these forums who lie in wait for someone to post a thread advocating quick weight loss, so that they can falsely accuse them of being self-destructive and having an eating disorder.

OP was talking about 1200-1500 calories, not 700 and a clearly disordered eating habit.
  • love8383
    love8383 Posts: 169
    Options
    For the last year and a half i have eaten 1200-1400 calories. i can feel full on 1200 calories and get all my daily nutrients. I've never had a problem. and have had continuous weight loss. If i feel hungry or exercise i eat more, it's not a big deal.
  • CindyMarcuzAdams
    CindyMarcuzAdams Posts: 4,006 Member
    Options
    I had weight loss surgery 13 years ago so my stomach can only hold 8oz at one time. I regained 40lbs which brought me to mfp.
    I regained my weight by eating cookies, breads, and other junk foods. Now that I am changing my way off life, most days I cant fit in 1200 calories. I am eating healthier than I ever have in my whole life. More fruits and veggies than ever before. The calories in one cup of fruits and veggies is very low so honestly I do have a hard time. I could easilly add cookies to the end of my day but that isnt something I want to do at this stage of my weight loss. I dont miss the junk I was living on before. I may add treats back when I hit maintenance. I will find out when I get there. Dont get me wrong, I am not totally treatless. I will fit in ice cream or a cookie. Its just not a regular thing.
    So I guess what I am trying to say is there are exceptions, people can succeed on less than 1200 calories and be ok...
  • tarcotti
    tarcotti Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I think there's a right and wrong way to do the 1200 calorie a day thing. I'm very sedentary, I have plenty to use. I only eat fruit, vegetables, lean mean, low fat dairy, I don't drink my calories. There are some grains in there, but not a lot because I have a wheat allergy. I get plenty of nutrients from this. MFP says I should be eating 1250 a day.

If you lose 40 lbs eating 1200 calories a day and rejoice when you jump back up to 2500 calories or more a day, then of course you are going to gain the weight back. You will have the mindset of, the diet is done, now I can do whatever I want.

IF you do it the right way, you will be increasing your calorie intake little by little over a few months with the mindset of "lifestyle change" instead of "diet" then you can maintain it. This is not my experience but the experience of many people I know.
  • longtimeterp
    longtimeterp Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    IF you do it the right way, you will be increasing your calorie intake little by little over a few months with the mindset of "lifestyle change" instead of "diet" then you can maintain it. This is not my experience but the experience of many people I know.

Yeah i will def be upping my avg weekly calories by 200 each month, but i also plan on upping my avg daily burn by at least that much too, so that i will not be starving, but hopefully staying prime for burning excess fat. Also, i hadn't mentioned this before, but i do calorie cycle, so on my 2 heavier lifting days i eat a bit more (especially carbs), my full body lift day i eat a a little above average, and then the 4 days of cardio/rest i go under the weekly average. And i'm not actually averaging 1200 cal a day, but i see no problem with it, especially for people that are not large men. 1200-1500 could even be right around tdee for more petitie women, whihc means it is FAR from unreasonable as a goal.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

OP was talking about 1200-1500 calories, not 700 and a clearly disordered eating habit.

So the OP can arbitrarily draw the line and then judge others that are even more drastic than he?

Well then.
  • longtimeterp
    longtimeterp Posts: 614 Member
    Options

So the OP can arbitrarily draw the line and then judge others that are even more drastic than he?

Well then.

There is nothing arbitrary about 1200 calories, that is the general consensus for a minimum amount of calories anyone should take in in a day over any extended period of time without excessively depressing one's bmr. 700 IS low, but in some cases, especially with proper medical supervision for those extremely obese, a VLCD can also be appropriate...but this isn't about those with medical needs requiring that low of a calorie intake, this is directed at the generally "healthy" individuals looking to lose weight, and in that case, 1200 isn't unreasonably low, especially for short term losses, as long as one is getting adequate protein in their diet (i should have mentioned previously that a diet that is low in calories should endure appropriate levels of macro-nutrients)
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    There is nothing arbitrary about 1200 calories, that is the general consensus for a minimum amount of calories anyone should take in in a day over any extended period of time without excessively depressing one's bmr. 700 IS low, but in some cases, especially with proper medical supervision for those extremely obese, a VLCD can also be appropriate...but this isn't about those with medical needs requiring that low of a calorie intake, this is directed at the generally "healthy" individuals looking to lose weight, and in that case, 1200 isn't unreasonably low, especially for short term losses, as long as one is getting adequate protein in their diet (i should have mentioned previously that a diet that is low in calories should endure appropriate levels of macro-nutrients)

I really applaud your understanding of the limitations of 1200 calories. Truly. Using words like "short term" and "adequate protein" are so important for many people when eating at that level.