How did your doctor tell you you're fat??

Options

Replies

• carliekitty
    carliekitty Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    My doctor never really said it cause we both knew. I gained it by myself and have lost it myself. My doctor told me 20 lbs ago " whatever your doing just keep doing it" , and also " what made you WANT to loose weight". I have a very good non judgmental compassionate Dr.
  • pobalita
    pobalita Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    My doctor never said a word about it. When I lost 70 pounds, she never even noticed and I had to call attention to it.

Interestingly, when I lost another 10 pounds, she said I was getting too thin. Nope, never even mentioned possible health problems when my BMI was almost 35, but told me I was too thin at 20.5. I don't go to her anymore.
  • sweetiebelle
    sweetiebelle Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Ya I know how you feel. My doctor looked at me and said your fat what are you going to do about it!
    I was so sad but, she was the one that got threw to me. I was 158 lbs and heading to have high blood pressure and other things. I didn't want to be headed down that path.
  • icrushit
    icrushit Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    Most doctors skirt the issue of a patients weight, even when its unhealthy, and I wish they wouldn't. Obviously they should not be rude about it, but raising the topic delicately would be something I would expect for any doctor fulfilling their remit. Of course the irony in what I just said, is that doctors have really big blind spot in terms of knowledge when it comes to nutrition, so while they might be well placed to flag/ identify the issue, I certainly would not regard them as the most capable in suggesting specific measures of any use in order to address the issue.
  • LeeLee6184
    LeeLee6184 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I recently switched offices but not because of any bad experiences. My previous doctor has since retired; plus, I moved 45min away so it was more convenient for me to find a new PCP here in Orlando.

My previous doctor has been pretty blunt and told me that I was considered "obese" and that I will not live a long life if I don't get my weight under control. I don't think he was necessarily rude about it, just blunt and to the point. He gave me a pamphlet on foods to eat/avoid to try to get my cholesterol level down and told me that weight loss is 80% diet, 20% exercise. It didn't "sink in" til recently and I finally realized that I really need to crack down and do something about my weight, not just for my appearance, but for my health as well.
  • MelisRunning
    MelisRunning Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    This was after I had lost about 130 lbs and was ready to begin training for my first full marathon last year.

I went in because my foot was bothering me and I wanted to make sure that the extra training wasn't going to cause me any problems...she (a rather pudgy lady) looked at me and said, "Marathon!?! Well, you're none too thin!" (I was wearing a size 4 at the time and she was probably no where close to a 4.) Then, she said, "I could do a Marathon. Not too sure about you though."

I said, "Uh-huh." and left.

My foot held up just fine and my race went great!
  • LeeLee6184
    LeeLee6184 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    This was after I had lost about 130 lbs and was ready to begin training for my first full marathon last year.

I went in because my foot was bothering me and I wanted to make sure that the extra training wasn't going to cause me any problems...she (a rather pudgy lady) looked at me and said, "Marathon!?! Well, you're none too thin!" (I was wearing a size 4 at the time and she was probably no where close to a 4.) Then, she said, "I could do a Marathon. Not too sure about you though."

Wow. She should have been encouraging you, not trying to tear you down!! Geez!! And comparing herself to you...:mad:
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    He told me to stop eating so much bread and not to eat peanut butter. I was six years old.
  • aedreana
    aedreana Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    While dieting, I steer clear of all foods that I cannot determine the caloric value of. I know that the side salads at McDonalds are 20 calories. But I won't eat a non-pre-packaged, non-portion-controlled salad in a restaurant; to estimate the calories would be too chancy. I don't like to estimate. I primarily eat food that lists the calorie count on the label. Only occasionally will I eat a piece of fruit, and then I probably underestimate to be safe-- such as, I call a small apple medium. Edit: I meant to post this on the What Foods Have You Given Up thread! Guess I need to cut on the light in this room! :happy:
  • mathandcats
    mathandcats Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I went to the Dr. complaining about heart problems. I knew I needed to lose weight, and I expected him to tell me. After examining me and having the pertinent tests, he just said "About the weight... it's bad for your heart. I want you to try an app called MyFitnessPal, eat 1500 calories, and start jogging 30 mins/day 5 days per week." I was still embarrassed, since I'm pretty shy and have always been self conscious about my weight, but really he was pretty nice about it. I'm extremely grateful to him for recommending MFP, and it was exactly the push I needed - it's no longer some potential health problems down the road for me, it's health problems now (and I'm only 21!)
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    I went to my family doctor and complained that I had been steadily gaining weight over a few years, in spite of being active and going to the gym. I was 5'0 and 165 pounds.
    '
    This is exactly what happened to me too. My doctor told me to get the book 'Eat to Live' or Live to Eat or some sheet. She'd mentioned to me that my fasting blood sugar was a little on the high side, see ya next year.

And that was it. Turned off by the vegan/vegetarian/hippy diet book she tried to push off on me, rather than talk to me, I never returned.

Fast forward 10 yrs later, went to the doctor for a random belly pain after I started MFP. That's when they told me I was diabetic. After some research & well over a year of a ketogenic diet, my blood sugars are of non-diabetic levels.

My doctors had next to *nothing* to do with me getting healthy.

*hair flip* :bigsmile:
  • schle009
    schle009 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Mine didn't really tell me I needed to lose weight, he just mentioned that he was going to switch my anti-depressants because he thought the one I was on was making me gain weight. He did congratulate me on losing 25+ lbs last time I was in.
  • she_lived_wholly_forevermore
    Options
    Mine have never said one word about my being obese, ever. They really care around here...
  • amandagorder
    amandagorder Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    OMG really every one is mad because their MD did or did not say something to them. MAYBE its not the doctors nurses or PA's.
    im sorry do you guys have any idea what its like to have a patient that you honestly love and care for die because of some thing so simple ! some times you need to get some ones attention and it may be rude, or frank but im sorry if your MD cares they will be honest and sometimes mean/scary . think what its like for your doctor to see you decline at the age of 20 or 30 or 40 because of a life style choice. this is a choice! your choice ! and then to have 95% or all the people you see have the same problem !if its that obvious why hasn't it been brought up before. every day I see my doctor he weights me right off (even if I go to eat at his house with his wife) calls me chunky monkey and tells me no matter what I weigh he's disappointed because I could be better for me and my son. and i don't cry about it ! because he's right ! now that I have worked in surgery its kills me to see 16 year olds getting total knee replacements. And im sorry I tell every one you need to take care of yourself . but please stop blaming your health care. DONT SHOOT THE MESSENGER
  • fleetzz
    fleetzz Posts: 962 Member
    Options

Do you still go to her? You should see her again after your ultra this weekend!!!
  • feedmedonuts
    feedmedonuts Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I went in for a sinus infection and somehow it turned into you need to lose weight. But that's ok I was so embarrassed I actually started taking care of it after that
  • MelisRunning
    MelisRunning Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    Haha!

I never went back to her. I should have gone back to show off my medal from the race or something juvenile like that but to be honest, she wasn't worth the effort.
  • LadyArchangel
    LadyArchangel Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    In November 2013, I weighed 384 pounds at the doctor's office. My doctor sat down across from me and told me I needed to lose some weight, the same talk we had had 6 months earlier. She told me I should work on not gainning anymore by our next appointment, that in itself would be an accomplishment.

In May 2014 when I returned to the doctor I had gained 16 pounds, 400 pounds. I know she saw in my eyes the hurt and humiliation I felt.

She sat down across from me, took my hands in hers, and asked how could she help me. I cried and we talked for awhile.

She told me about this awesome website called MyFitnessPal.com. I've logged on everyday since, good days, bad days all days. I'm so glad she did. I'm eatting healthier and I've lost some weight. I know this journey will be long and sometimes difficult, but I will succeed.

Just watch me :-)

That was sweet :)

I had one doctor tell me "you're obese, do you want to die?" of course I was 14.... so I cried.
    Usually they don't mention it, they just put "morbidly obese" on my chart. Now that I've lost weight it's usually brought up by the nurse, congratulating me which is nice. Honestly no matter what is said in the end it's up to the patient to do something, doctors can only do so much.
  • mysmileighs
    mysmileighs Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    It was a total shock (shouldn't have been...but I digress). I was ~150lbs, 5'9" and size 10 my whole life up until college and the weight slowly crept up. I didn't ever weight myself. When I walked into his office and he brought up that I was 230 and 80 pounds overweight, I was honestly shocked. I was in TOTAL denial. I hadn't even noticed that somehow magically I was a size 18.

My doctor was nice about it, but made his point. He told me it was a problem and I was pre-diabetic. I've had sugar and iron issues all my life and to almost be diagnosed diabetic because I was obese was just scary. He recommended Weight Watchers and just regular calorie counting. No diet pills or quick fixes, he warned against them. He wanted the weight to come off at a good pace so I'd have a shot of keeping it off.

Lost almost 60 lbs in a year and totally wowed him when I went back. :happy:

Now I get to do it all over again. But this time, it's for good :smile:
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    Most doctors skirt the issue of a patients weight, even when its unhealthy, and I wish they wouldn't. Obviously they should not be rude about it, but raising the topic delicately would be something I would expect for any doctor fulfilling their remit. Of course the irony in what I just said, is that doctors have really big blind spot in terms of knowledge when it comes to nutrition, so while they might be well placed to flag/ identify the issue, I certainly would not regard them as the most capable in suggesting specific measures of any use in order to address the issue.

Yes...I guess Doctor's are not gods after all.

Typically, they would refer if the client has a motivation and will to get help. We would not need nutritionists if Doctors knew it all about diet.