Gym cardio is so boring!

Options
I don't understand how some people on this site do cardio for 1-2 hours! About once a week I can do an hour session on the stationary bike, but it's usually 30 minutes and I'm dying of boredom. I've tried music playlists, audiobooks, playing on my phone, and reading. I think it's slightly due to the fact that I have mild ADD but any helpful hints? Even walking outside or biking outside bores me.

I do lift weights routinely and this is definitely better for me, however, I really need to burn off calories and hit the cardio.

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    That's why I just lift and only do cardio for 20-30 minutes once or twice a week. When I do it's a minute run, minute walk. Watching the clock keeps me from getting bored.

You can just make sure you are tracking your food accurately to ensure you have a calorie deficit.
  • FrankiesSaysRelax
    FrankiesSaysRelax Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I agree, that's why I don't do an hour of cardio. I stick to lifting and HIIT workouts of 20 minutes or less.
  • nikkihk
    nikkihk Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Do your cardio outdoors as a natural activity. Boredom = fixed.
  • redheadmommy
    redheadmommy Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    Totally agree. I wish I would have more patience to do those, but they bore me to death. Going on the cardio machine in the gym feels like a hamster spinning its wheel's.
    I do not even attempt it anymore. I go to the gym to do my heavy lifting that is all. Occasionally if I find a partner I play squash or badminton in the gym. Other than that I commute by my bike often pulling my kids behind me in a trailer that is plenty of cardio for the summer. I live on a cold climate with plenty of snow , so snow shovelling,tobogganing, skying and skating es ensures my winter cardio. Plus we have a dog we need to walk multiple times a day.
  • Artosas
    Artosas Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat as you, I start to get the Hamster in a Wheel feeling if I'm on a treadmill or bike for more than 30 minutes. That's why I love that I found out about HIIT, 30 minutes max and your outta there! Plus can't beat that afterburn effect :)
  • codycsweet
    codycsweet Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    Zumba group fitness is all the cardio I do at the gym anymore.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    I agree its boring at the gym. I would want to shoot myself if I had to be stuck on a treadmill for more than the five mins between my sets of circuit training. I get my hours in by walking from my house to the bridge and into the next town then back. Its about 5 1/2 miles round trip. Its so beautiful and I see something new everytime I go so its doesn't seem as long as it is. Plus the kicker about my walks is that even when you feel like quitting, you cant because you aren't home yet.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Correction: Cardio is boring

Fixed it for you
  • kimothy38
    kimothy38 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I find 10 minute warm up on bike or rower boring. I definitely have a low attention threshold. What about some interval training, eg alternating 1 min cardio with burpees, pushups, sit ups etc. Keeps it a bit more interesting.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options

Fixed it for you

different strokes for different folks. for me, there is nothing like a 60 mile bike ride to take in the scenery.
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options

Fixed it for you

:heart:
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    Fortunately, my gym has wifi and I have Netflix. I pull out my phone and watch something to occupy my brain while I run intervals on the treadmill. If the thing I'm watching is really good, I can put in a solid hour or more.
  • margannmks
    margannmks Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I also cant do the machines, i make up a mini bootcamp type workout, high knees,jumping jacks with 10 lb dumbells, burpees with a box jump, mountain climbers, squat and press with dumbells, crouch and shoot, skip and punch with weights, skaters, etc repeat 3 times doing a minute of each and youve got a 25-30 min hiit
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    I don't understand how some people on this site do cardio for 1-2 hours! About once a week I can do an hour session on the stationary bike, but it's usually 30 minutes and I'm dying of boredom. I've tried music playlists, audiobooks, playing on my phone, and reading. I think it's slightly due to the fact that I have mild ADD but any helpful hints? Even walking outside or biking outside bores me.
    I do lift weights routinely and this is definitely better for me, however, I really need to burn off calories and hit the cardio.
    I'm glad you realize that cardio is the most efficient way to burn calories. But 30 min 5 x a week is sufficient to maintain your weight & get health benefits. You only need to do more than that if you want to lose weight.
    "Most weight loss occurs because of decreased caloric intake. However, evidence shows the only way to maintain weight loss is to be engaged in regular physical activity. To maintain your weight: work your way up to 150 minutes of moderate-intensity aerobic activity, 75 minutes of vigorous-intensity aerobic activity, or an equivalent mix of the two each week."
    (The page explains moderate & vigorous.)
    http://www.cdc.gov/healthyweight/physical_activity/index.html

As for boredom, I go to Planet Fitness, and they have machines where I can plug in my headphones & listen to / watch any of 15 TV channels. That's quite a distraction, and there have been times when I went longer than I intended because I wanted to see the end of a program.

But for me, music, audiobooks, or reading would also be a distraction (though I'm not sure I could read while bouncing up & down on the elliptical), and I enjoy walking outside.

Have you tried using different machines?
    How about trying to figure what fraction of your workout you've accomplished at any given time?
    How many calories will you burn in 30 min if you keep going at your current rate?
    If you do that much every day, how long before you've burned off a pound?
    How many minutes will it take at your current burn rate before you reach your goal weight?
    Mentally compose a poem, book, letter, song.
    How about a puzzle instead of a book? Especially if you like the grid puzzles where you have to figure out each person's name, what color hat they wore, what drink they ordered, and what pet they have that would really keep your mind busy. Even a crossword would be good in that direction.

Or gee, use exercise as a meditation & learn to calm your mind so you don't have to be entertained all the time. Pay attention to how you feel, your breathing, heartbeat, feel the sweat running down your back (or face), feel your muscles moving, etc. Imagine the fat breaking down, see it leaving your body every time you exhale. (Which is a biologically & chemically correct visualization.)
  • mayfrayy
    mayfrayy Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you realize that cardio is the most efficient way to burn calories. But 30 min 5 x a week is sufficient to maintain your weight & get health benefits. You only need to do more than that if you want to lose weight.

well this is just wrong. you can do any amount of cardio but the only thing that will make you lose weight is a deficit.
  • SinCityFit
    SinCityFit Posts: 96
    Options
    Then you're not doing the right thing. Have you tried the group classes (Zumba, kickboxing, etc.) at the gym? Running, walking, biking, swimming, dancing, aqua aerobics? Workout videos at home? Indoor boot camps? There's something fun that involves moving out there for everybody.
  • FitnSassy
    FitnSassy Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I love spinning and biking, and I like boxing. I also hope to start running one day. You have to find something that you like to do, and do that. A lot of people enjoy Zumba, and it can be a great, fun workout. Maybe take up tennis, running or swimming. Your local Y should have group classes, too. There are lots of other things to do.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I don't understand how some people on this site do cardio for 1-2 hours!

Do it outside. Go for a run, or a ride.

Running outside gives you a fuller range of stimulation on the system, so the risks of injury are reduced cf the dreadmill.
  • fitness_faeiry
    fitness_faeiry Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Two words:

JUMP. ROPE.

15- 20 mins is all you need.