Why the frenzy about almond milk?

Options
123457»

Replies

• fitness_faeiry
    fitness_faeiry Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Those that enjoy almond milk and coconut cream, this stuff is so good.

imagejpg1_zpsb30f4668.jpg

Oh my - that looks like heaven!
  • claychick2
    claychick2 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Among other things, I've dropped dairy, except for butter and unpasteurized cheese, and my health and allergies have dramatically improved. I feel sick when I eat dairy now. I have noticed that not all almond milks are the same. Some taste horrible. I always get the unsweetened, but now I'm looking at the ingredients more. Make note that most of them contain carageenan which can cause problematic symptoms for some people. The Trader Joe's brand does not have this ingredient. It didn't taste as good to me, but I've gotten used to it. I know I could make my own, but I don't have it that often to want to try that yet.
  • mygnsac
    mygnsac Posts: 13,413 Member
    Options
    Silk Pure Almond Milk also doesn't have carageenan.
  • 4thelove14
    4thelove14 Posts: 28
    Options
    Those that enjoy almond milk and coconut cream, this stuff is so good.

imagejpg1_zpsb30f4668.jpg

you are right pure silk almond milk is the best, and where did you get this yummy looking item?
  • mygnsac
    mygnsac Posts: 13,413 Member
    Options
    A grocery store called "SaveMart" in Carmichael, CA. The Califa Farms website has a store locator where you see if there is a store near you that sells it. http://www.califiafarms.com/categories/almondmilk/
  • abyt42
    abyt42 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    I use almond milk in the crockpot because then I can leave all of the ingredients all day while I'm at work. I don't digest milk politely, so also use almond, rice or soy when I make smoothies.
  • squishycatmew
    squishycatmew Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Sorry I am not going to read all 100 plus posts on this so I may be repeating but I drink almond (all natural unsweetened non GMO verified) for these reasons...

1) love the taste way more than skim, and its thicker
    2) in my whey shake my blueberries and kale keep all their nutrients and antioxidants that are lost when combined with milk protein

Er… whey *is* milk protein. Not casein, but still milk protein.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    I have always hated the taste of cow's milk, ever since I was a kid. It makes me gag. I could drink chocolate milk, but not now...I hate the taste of cow's milk (but I love ice cream, cheese, and French vanilla yogurt.... :laugh: )

I love love love love the taste of Silk brand vanilla almond milk. Yes, I drink the sweetened version. I LOVE it. Less calories than milk, more calcium than milk, doesn't make me gag like milk...it's a win, win!
  • ketoambahh
    ketoambahh Posts: 67
    Options
    Regular milk has about 13 grams of sugar/carbs per 1 cup serving no matter what percent you buy.

Unsweetened almond milk has less than 1g per serving. If you're going to drink almond milk then stick to unsweetened, otherwise the switch is useless unless allergies are involved.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    Oh and I like the Dark Chocolate Almond Milk...better than milkshake for me.
    I also love Silk Vanilla Coconut Milk, too. Yummo!
  • nikkihk
    nikkihk Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    I haven't had cow's milk since I was 14 years old... no trend or bandwagon here, it just grosses me out. I've experimented with Soy. Rice, and Almond and Almond is freakin awesome.. Plus it lasts forever.
  • ukaryote
    ukaryote Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    Money.
    If it is being pushed hard, it is to make cash.

We are adults and hopefully have been weaned. We do not need dairy. I don't know of another species that takes in nearly that much milk as adults.

So, almond milk? Ok, it is not harmful and it tastes good to some people. Just like all other foods, it is not a wonder.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,041 Member
    Options
    i dislike the taste of animal milk. always have. i just don't like it. i like soy milk and i like almond milk. and i like that there are very little calories in unsweetened almond milk.
  • 4thelove14
    4thelove14 Posts: 28
    Options
    Sorry I am not going to read all 100 plus posts on this so I may be repeating but I drink almond (all natural unsweetened non GMO verified) for these reasons...

1) love the taste way more than skim, and its thicker
    2) in my whey shake my blueberries and kale keep all their nutrients and antioxidants that are lost when combined with milk protein

Er… whey *is* milk protein. Not casein, but still milk protein.

Er... let me be more specific.... casein (a milk protein) is what blocks the bio-availability of the antioxidants.... thanks
  • bugaboo_sue
    bugaboo_sue Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Regular milk has about 13 grams of sugar/carbs per 1 cup serving no matter what percent you buy.

Unsweetened almond milk has less than 1g per serving. If you're going to drink almond milk then stick to unsweetened, otherwise the switch is useless unless allergies are involved.

It's not added sugar though.
  • lemurwaffle
    Options
    it's GROSS.

Napoleon-Dynamite-GIF-Drinking-eggs.gif

"I see you're drinking almond milk. Is that because you think you're fat? Because you're not. You could be drinking 1% if you wanted"

I have to rewatch this film now!
  • PrissyPisces
    PrissyPisces Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to thank everyone for their detailed explanations for why women with PCOS are urged to limit their dairy intake. I've done quite a bit of research, and I'm trying to control my PCOS without the use of metformin. My main reason was because of the hormones in regular milk. Then I thought about using organic milk, but I am also a vegetarian. I'm no vegan, but I'm REALLY trying to limit the amount of "animal foods" I consume.