cardio for an hour??

Options

Replies

• itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    once i got over 20 minutes, i started listening to audio books during cardio.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Easiest 1-hour cardio: Go outdoors and walk/run/cycle in one direction for 30 minutes. Then go home.

Yep, this is what I do. But if I have to go to the gym I take my Kindle with me to read. The tvs are only set to the same two stations and the shows get pretty boring after a while...worse if Dr. Oz is on when I'm there
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    who does cardio for an hour and how do you stay focused?

Anything less than an hour isn't worth getting changed for...

That said I run and cycle outside in the real world and can't do machines as I'm bored to tears in minutes.

So get outside in the real and train there.

That kind of mentality stops way too many people from working out. I've had some great twenty minute runs and 30 minute bike rides.

Same as Apollo here.
    Ive had great 2.5mi runs and it only took like 20min.
  • nonacgp
    nonacgp Posts: 132
    Options
    I hear you. I solved boredom on the treadmill by putting a television in the room. I record all my favorite hour long dramas (Chicago PD, Gang related, Tyrrany etc.) and then I watch while I'm on the treadmill. Time flies by and get to watch my favorite shows. So far so good. Couldn't do it just to music. I, too would be bored and probably quit. Good luck in finding your niche!!
  • buzzardsrule
    buzzardsrule Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Find the exercise that's right for you and it doesn't have to be for an hour. When I started this in March I used to do 30 minutes in the morning before work and then a different workout in the evening. I just try and mix it up with different workouts, running, walking, DVDs, kettlebells, Fitness Blender HIIT videos on YouTube, try different things and you will find something you love.
  • jababy3
    jababy3 Posts: 1
    Options
    What motivates me to keep going during a long treadmill workout is watching Extreme Makeover Weight Loss Edition. I will pull up an episode on YouTube and get to treading. It's completely inspirational to watch the people transform.
  • Ryan_Case
    Ryan_Case Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I do an hour on the elliptical three to four times a week. I really do whatever it takes me to get to at least five miles.

I do it in front of the cardio theatre and I play games in my head with it. I do my best to try and guess how far into what DIY/HGTV show I will need to be to make an hour and then I try not to look at the clock or timer.

I don't mind cardio, but if I clock watch it feels like it takes forever. Better to say, "I won't look until the third commercial break" and then when it gets there tell yourself, "I can wait until the next one."

But I am all about personal mind games to get through things.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    Go outside!
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    Most of my cardio is outside. that alone keeps me happy. But functional activities like hiking, sports, etc also help keep me going.
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    I walk and jog outside on either my favorite walking trail or to the bridge. You cant quit even if you feel like it cuz you aren't home yet. This is the only way I can get in my four to six miles for the day. My tunes help out a lot too. There is always something new to see when you walk outside
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Anything less than an hour isn't worth getting changed for...

That said I run and cycle outside in the real world and can't do machines as I'm bored to tears in minutes.

So get outside in the real and train there.

That kind of mentality stops way too many people from working out. I've had some great twenty minute runs and 30 minute bike rides.

It takes me fifteen minutes to warm up enough to get a decent workout.
  • ErisDyscordia
    ErisDyscordia Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I do a hour of cardio about once a week and 2 hours about once every 20 days. Usually it's 30 minutes. I would get bored on treadmill too, that's why I run outside at park. Even in winter at - 20°C, just dress up warm and no problem.

I do listen to audio books not music. Music does not do the job so good for me. It's better than nothing but it just feels like it is playing at the background of boringness. Audio books on other hand makes my brain more engaged because I actually have to imagine story or understand information so it feels completely different than just music. Lately I've been listening to some internet marketing educational tapes and french lessons. It's like three birds with one stone - get my exercise in and get smarter at same time while avoiding getting bored. If I study at home sitting I get too easy distracted and bored. So exercises makes my learning more fun and learning makes my exercises more fun.

I like the audiobook idea. When I was in HS my soccer team would WARM UP before practice with a 3-5 mile run. My couch taught us a trick to help keep our mind off of it -- do simple arithmetic in your head. I am sure it sounds silly when you are sitting at your desk reading this, but it is REALLY hard when running/doing cardio full out. It really helps to keep the mind focused, and not obsessed with how tired or bored I am.

I imagine audiobooks work similarly...forcing you to concentrate on something else.
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    Go outside. It really is that simple.
  • DerekVTX
    DerekVTX Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I actually like doing the elliptical. The one that i use has a TV attached and I just turn it off and use that time for thinking and people watching in the gym. I think about a lot of things in my life and also my weight loss and health. I hardly even listen to music anymore on the machine.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    just do 15 min of HIIT and get the same or better results.

if an exercise is super intense, it might be unpleasant but i'm not so sure one would describe it as boring.

i thought it was interesting that someone said that they use this time to think about life, etc.

i'm the opposite, thats the only time i can turn that **** off
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    I like the audiobook idea. When I was in HS my soccer team would WARM UP before practice with a 3-5 mile run. My couch taught us a trick to help keep our mind off of it -- do simple arithmetic in your head. I am sure it sounds silly when you are sitting at your desk reading this, but it is REALLY hard when running/doing cardio full out. It really helps to keep the mind focused, and not obsessed with how tired or bored I am.

I imagine audiobooks work similarly...forcing you to concentrate on something else.

thats a good idea, still boring tho lol.

when i swam races, when i got tired, it painstakingly analyze my form as i swam, took my mind off the discomfort. same idea
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    I do less than a hour for the whole week. It is HIIT though.
  • chachadeb
    chachadeb Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Group X classes for me.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Use headphones and listen to music. That's all I do. I do cardio for up to 5-6 hours per day (Usually about 1-1.5 hours).
  • xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    I get bored listening to music, but I've found some podcasts that I like (or Howard Stern downloads) and that keeps me pretty well occupied.

Also, when I'm home I run with a dog, and that helps - she could run forever.