Sugar stops fat loss???

Options
This is a new one to me.

And I don't believe it.

Hence I'm asking for opinions and not jumping off the bridge at the order of a fitness instructor. Because I am in love with candy and sweets.

She said this morning that eating too much sugar...and eating too much artificial sweeteners....causes fat loss to stop. Now this is important...FAT loss, NOT weight loss.

Weight loss being the number on the scale...and fat loss being bodyfat%.

Has anyone else heard of this?

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    It's a myth. Sugar is not inherently evil by any standards. It's industry fear mongering like they did with fat 10 years ago.
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,067 Member
    Options
    yea, heard it about 1000000 times

its bogus though
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Look at my progress bar and you will have your answer. I've had something with sugar in it almost every day.
  • Archer9304
    Archer9304 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Thanks for clearing that up. I know about it not stopping weight loss...because I lost a good deal by almost always being waaay over on sugar.

Just hadn't heard of the fat loss thing.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    For real info (not old wives' tales), read the Sexypants post:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-Sexypants

You lose weight by eating fewer calories than you burn. Log everything you eat & drink accurately & honestly. Logging works.
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    I don't watch my sugar intake at all. I just aim for a balanced diet overall and eat what I like (which includes dessert and artificial sweeteners). I've cut my body fat percentage by about 20% so far. :smile:
  • Archer9304
    Options
    You guys are awesome :tongue: and you truely and genuinely know more than my dietician. :huh:

It's shameful to the dietitian, I know.
  • George_Baileys_Ghost
    George_Baileys_Ghost Posts: 1,524 Member
    Options
    Hmm....that must be why fruit is universally regarded as unhealthy.
  • _Resolve_
    _Resolve_ Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    I wish I knew this before now! I would of actually been able to lose .... oh wait.
  • Archer9304
    Options

Hey hey! Don't bash fruit...it's got "good sugars" :tongue: :wink: You can eat as much as you like and you won't gain a thing! :laugh:
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    Nope. Unless you're diabetic, you don't even really need to track your sugar intake.
  • TX_Rhon
    TX_Rhon Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options

:huh:
    Fruit in not "universally" unhealthy. It contains fiber and vitamins but the "sugar is the devil" group does latch on to their sugar count.
  • rainunrefined
    rainunrefined Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    My opinion is that sugar (especially refined sugar) triggers more sugar cravings. The more you crave the less likely you are to stick to your nutritional or caloric goals which may hinder your weight loss/fat loss. My experience is that when I limit refined sugars or refined carbs (that ultimately turn to sugar in your body), I crave less and I stay on track. Just my opinion and experience!
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options

Fruit in not "universally" unhealthy. It contains fiber and vitamins but the "sugar is the devil" group does latch on to their sugar count.

I took it as sarcasm.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQe3UkUz8BFzrEvq-VHGfqCvZp2tuEuFWfChgl9mrJu8nFJLivh
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    My opinion is that sugar (especially refined sugar) triggers more sugar cravings. The more you crave the less likely you are to stick to your nutritional or caloric goals which may hinder your weight loss/fat loss. My experience is that when I limit refined sugars or refined carbs (that ultimately turn to sugar in your body), I crave less and I stay on track. Just my opinion and experience!

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQcr7_i35o03t2RaLbVHpkPamd1n6J35hPTYx38kAdX2V2mlR12
  • k1ttyk1tty
    k1ttyk1tty Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    If that was true, I'd be a skinny model.
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,067 Member
    Options

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQcr7_i35o03t2RaLbVHpkPamd1n6J35hPTYx38kAdX2V2mlR12
    its actually quite true. same goes for carbs and salty foods in my experience
  • TX_Rhon
    TX_Rhon Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options

I took it as sarcasm.

My bad if it was. :flowerforyou: Maybe the coffee needs to kick in, ha :drinker:
  • Archer9304
    Options

But I like my cravings. Because I like sugar. Some days I eat sweets the whole day. no food. then the rest of the week, I eat healthy again and STILL include a treat. EVERY. FRIGGEN. DAY.