Most "unusual" pet you've ever had?

Options

Replies

• CoolDad67
    CoolDad67 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I grew up in the country and we have had many unusual pets over the years.

1 - A pet racoon. It loved Sugar Pops and Fried Eggs. We raised it from a baby that was abandoned. Found it in the refrigerator one morning after Thanksgiving eating leftover Turkey. Had to lock all the cabinets and fridge after that. It eventually was released in the wild and it hung around our barn for years.

2 - A red tailed hawk. Again, it was found as a baby fallen from a nest and covered with insects. We raised it to full grown and released it. It would still come around and let us feed it mice for a while.

3 - Flying Squirrels on occasion

4 - Deer. A baby deer that was hit by a car and its mother killed was raised by us.

5 - We currently have a ferret. Had 3 but the others have died and we only have the one left.
  • Behxo
    Behxo Posts: 1,190 Member
    Options
    A bearded dragon named Yoshi, not very unusual lol
  • Nataliea87
    Nataliea87 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I've had a green burmese python, she was very cool. My father is terrified of snakes, and it took him 6 months to find her because he opened my door one morning (in the AM) after I had turned her heat lamp on, but hadn't turned the bedroom lamp on. Snake promptly had to go.

And I raised a baby deer out at the farm whose mother had gotten hit and killed. Bottle fed it and everything. Named her Twigs, and she was super cool :) Used to spray paint blaze orange on her during hunting season, as she was allowed to wander. One day, she just never came home :(
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    Well I had an imaginary dog as a child as my parents refused to get me a real one. Does that count?
  • sccet
    sccet Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    A ferret. Purchased in NV but smuggled into California (where they are illegal, as wild packs of them may rise up and destroy livestock....allegedly).

Excellent, excellent pet. Played well with cats and dogs and was affectionate. Always a crack-up and easy to care for.
  • cindyj7
    cindyj7 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Fire bellied newts, rats, mice, guinea pigs, hamsters, rabbits, chinchilla, bearded dragon, senegal parrot, welsh pony, and a box turtle.
  • caffienedayandnight
    Options
    raised a newborn deer for awhile (neighbor dogs attacked the mother), kept a baby raccoon found on the highway, and i saved a baby chipmunk from my cats and kept that for awhile. probably not the smartest idea to keep these critters as "pets", definitely not "legal," and i wouldn't do it again now that i'm an adult. this was when i was younger and my parents didn't care. we lived in the country and all animals were returned to the woods when they got stronger.

as a kid i also caught and kept wild turtles, frogs, and snakes as "pets" for short periods of time.
  • branflakes1980
    branflakes1980 Posts: 2,516 Member
    Options
    We had a pet grasshopper named Alejandro. (My son caught him and wanted to keep him when he was about 3). He lived in the cage with our ball python and the 2 got along great for months until Alejandro passed away.
  • lookin4gains
    lookin4gains Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options
    A chameleon named Zeus
  • jessileak
    jessileak Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I grew up on a commercial farm so we had a bear, two wolves, buffalo, arctic fox, antelope, a skunk, and many others. (None of which were in the house, obviously.) We did have a baby deer that was an indoor pet though.
  • jenijen25
    jenijen25 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    a ladybird i called seven because it had seven spots :) xx
  • ethompso0105
    ethompso0105 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I had a pair of salamanders...not too exotic, but their names were great. My mom chose to name them Sam and Ella (you have to say the names together to get the laugh). Clearly, she thought they were gross.

We had them for 6 months or so until my mom decided it was time to donate them to the local environmental education center. A few years later, I got to visit them...they were GIANT (like 3 times the size they were when I had them). They had also been re-named so as to not perpetuate the idea that they were bacteria-laden. LOL

I miss those little weirdos! :)
  • joanthemom8
    joanthemom8 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    My son had a Rosy Boa as a pet for awhile.... I hated it,
  • richardositosanchez
    richardositosanchez Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I used to have a crawdad when I was a kid. Also praying mantis'.
  • BlueLadyBug22
    BlueLadyBug22 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    A house pig and a house rooster, they came and went as they pleased.
  • lyrics09
    lyrics09 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Chinchillas. Collard Lizard. Toads (when I was a kid). California King Snake. & Rat.

Currently, I've been sticking to the Pomeranian and kitty variety of pets -- I still want a Russian domesticated fox one day lol
  • rebelduck
    rebelduck Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I grew up with pet donkeys. Now I have a duck (in an apartment).
  • techgal128
    techgal128 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Blue tongued skink
    Iguana
    Leopard tortoise
    Tarantula
    Hissing cockroaches
    A moon crab
    Australian walking sticks
    Vietnamese millipede
    Giant African millipede
    Wild sparrows
    A raven (took care of it for a friend)
    Shrimp
    Fire bellied toads
    King snake

As you can see, exotics are my specialty.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    I grew up with pet donkeys. Now I have a duck (in an apartment).

Oh I love ducks!! Please post a pic!
  • SteampunkSongbird
    SteampunkSongbird Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    I've kept rats for years, I currently have 4. As a kid, I kept 'pet' woodlice; I'd build habitats for them, look after them and happily just watch them go about their lives. Strangely, as an adult I'm now terrified of the little gits!