Most "unusual" pet you've ever had?

Options

Replies

• YearsWorthOfFAT
    Options
    Rats. I really wish to own a lizard or a snake, though. Or maybe a tarantula. Too bad the most interesting ones are also harder to deal with :(.
    Righ now i have.... Well. The guy in my picture. He's not that strange.
  • KseRz
    KseRz Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    I used to have one of these...

2.jpg
  • Orfygirl
    Orfygirl Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I have only had cats, but one of my cats, Mittens, you could say was "unusual". He LOVED table scraps. His favorite food was BBQ chips, but he would eat just about anything you gave him. He even knew the sound that the chip bag made and would come running to beg for a snack when he heard anything that sounded like it. He was a great boy!
  • hj1119
    hj1119 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I had a tarantula as a teenager.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    I"ve had lots over the years.

- ball python (lived to be 25)
    - chinchilla (adopted by a friend before I went to college along with the hedgehog)
    - hedgehog
    - iguana (given to a school)
    - emu (delicious eggs with black shells and stayed with my parents until she was 24 years old. She loved people)
    - fox (sent to a preserve after she hit adolescence)

Now the most unusual pet I own is a mini horse.
  • Kekibird
    Kekibird Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Had a black hooded rat in college named Moo-Cow.

We now have two baby girl rats, Twinkletoes and Mia, for my son.
  • ejbraun
    ejbraun Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    A rat named Lola, I still believe they're one of the best pets.

She developed mamory tumors which we had surgery to remove, but they came back months later and we had to put her down. Still missing that little girl after 4+ years :cry:
  • Guns_N_Buns
    Guns_N_Buns Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options
    I had a lot of pet rats. I LOVED them. They were like dogs; one in particular was potty trained (went in her cage to use the bathroom) and roamed my room freely. When I would get home from school she'd run out from where ever she was and run straight up my leg to my shoulders and give me kisses. She also slept under my neck every night -- that's where I found her when she eventually died. After her, I got an African Savannah Monitor. His name was Trex.
  • CorlissaEats
    CorlissaEats Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I had a pet green monkey when I was a kid. (Sabaeus monkey) No, it was not in North America. It got mean and we had to release it into the wild. We found a nice spot along a river. It found a village and terrorized it until it ended up in a stew pot. True story. :cry:

Also had a tortoise. And my younger brother had a civet cat. Older brother found a baby vulture but it only was a pet for 3 weeks before it died. The rest were normal. I could prove the civet cat with pics if I had to but unfortately half my childhood pics including the ones of me with the monkey went missing in the move back from Africa. :sad:
  • Shimmysista
    Shimmysista Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I had 2 chinchillas ( one of which only had 3 legs), I now have 8 Sugar Gliders
    861418_10153996109390643_799233749_o.jpg
  • kotarea
    kotarea Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Lets see I have :smile:
    6 horses;sunny, reba, mac, hanna, eddie and chance,,
    2 donkeys; sammy and opie,
    9 goats,
    1 cow;moo moo,
    8 dogs;jack, jenna, jessie, bruce, apollo, max, toby and blue,
    3 cats; george, meeka, and Jazmyn,
    2 parrots; rio and gray,
    Lots of fish,
    1 duck; forest,
    2 geese; boris and marie
    1 Turtle; Remmington
    2 ferrets: juno and oscar
    1 Salamander; Stumpy
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    Three sheep that I bottle raised when they were orphaned. Holly was the first and she had free run on our farm. She wore a dog collar so people didn't think she was some random sheep that wandered away from a farm. She actually did get stolen once, the police had to go track her down and bring her back. The officer transported her home in the back of the police car and couldn't even make the call to the precinct to let them know because she was baaing too much. It was time for her bottle and she was hungry! She'd also go with my mom's cockapoo and chase the neighbors when they went down to the road to get their mail. She chased a lot of my brothers' friends when they came to visit, too. She just thought she was one of the dogs. I could call her and she'd come running.

Then we got Molly and Dolly and bottle raised them, too. They never had the personality that Holly had. I think they bonded to each other instead of me.

I had a pet squirrel one time, too. A local vets' office had a litter of them brought in after a storm. This was before there were wildlife rehabbers in our area, so they were finding people to raise them. I took Charlie home. He was so cool and loved to snuggle against my neck. Nobody else could touch him, he'd bite them if they did, but he loved me! I would let him run around the yard and climb trees in the hopes of eventually turning him lose, but he died unexpectedly one night in his cage.

Now I have three cats and 4 dogs + however many boarding/training dogs are staying with us.
  • Veil5577
    Veil5577 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    A tarantula.
  • warriorprincessdi
    warriorprincessdi Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    I had a chicken named 'whitey' (She was a white hen lol) when I was a child that I taught to do tricks... I've also had a crayfish named Dr Claw who lived almost four years.... I have a snake at home now, most people say that's weird and crazy... I just think they are the crazy ones :)
  • gym_king_carlie
    gym_king_carlie Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    a Human named....wait....I mean a dog....yes I've owned a dog, no one in my basement right now :P
  • _KitKat_
    _KitKat_ Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I have had ferrets, rats and tortoises as family pets but the one that causes the most questions have been my 2 English Mastiffs.

One day I want a skunk :glasses:
  • sculli123
    sculli123 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    9 goats,
    1 cow;moo moo,
    2 parrots; rio and gray,
    Lots of fish,
    1 duck; forest,
    2 geese; boris and marie
    1 Turtle; Remmington
    2 ferrets: juno and oscar
    1 Salamander; Stumpy
    I guess you win. lol
  • Coltsforlife
    Coltsforlife Posts: 124
    Options
    A gopher lol , He has lived in my backyard for a year and wont die. So i guess that counts as my pet right?
  • MelisRunning
    MelisRunning Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    I've had hermit crabs, a rat...actually pretty much every rodent, my chickens of course, but my favorite pet has been an Iguana named Puppy. I got him newly hatched and he grew to be 5' long. He rode around on my shoulder all day long and refused to eat out of a dish. The only way he would eat was if I would hand feed him. Spoiled reptile.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    9 goats,
    1 cow;moo moo,
    2 parrots; rio and gray,
    Lots of fish,