Day 2 - Dying

Options
Hi all, my name is Erika and i'm a 26 year old mother of two little boys (6 and 1.5) as well as a wife. I am currently at 164 and at my height of 5'6 figure I need to get back down to 130ish.

So yesterday morning I started working out (just paid for an entire year at the gym) and dieting. I got up early, drank water all day and no pop until I caved and drank a can of Barq's rootbeer last night. Got up today and exercised and i've been drinking water all day today too. I brought a peanut butter and jelly sandwich for lunch (not the healthiest but what i had) and the ladies at work all ordered chinese for lunch! Ugh!

I absolutely love chinese food and have no self control for food. They are out there enjoying it and i have shut myself in my office to not hear about it or smell it. How on earth am I going to make it through this?

Water is just not as appealing as chinese food and barq's rootbeer. :(

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    It doesn't need to be torture and root beer.

Read this. Follow this.
    Set reasonable goals.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

tweak as needed.
  • Momjogger
    Momjogger Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    Why can't you eat chinese? Steamed veggies, one protein dish, pack the rest to take home....
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Why can't you eat chinese? Steamed veggies, one protein dish, pack the rest to take home....
    Assuming that's the kind of chinese they ordered...yes, very doable.
  • zip_girl
    zip_girl Posts: 29
    Options
    Getting started is the hardest part, it will get easier once you get in a routine.
  • frangrann
    frangrann Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Getting started is the hardest part, it will get easier once you get in a routine.

Agreed! Take a walk at lunch time.
  • alienbabyjen
    alienbabyjen Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    An all or nothing mentality doesn't work for everyone. Maybe you should start by setting more realistic goals. If you usually drank 3 sodas a day, cut down to 2 a day for a week then 1 a day until you can stop completely, if you want to. You can eat whatever you want, in moderation. A complete lock down of all things you love sounds like a recipe for failure. Start small. Try little changes that have big impact over time.
  • Momjogger
    Momjogger Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    Assuming that's the kind of chinese they ordered...yes, very doable.

Yeah I hear you. I invest in what I want now that my health is my priority. I would order my own, or initiate the idea to offer other people a healthy alternative. I love beef terriaki, so I would order that with steamed broccoli. There's ALWAYS a healthy choice in every situation. You just have to set your mind to be a conscious eater.
  • shadowofender
    shadowofender Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Is there a reason you feel you need to abstain? I know some people who abstain from certain foods because it's a trigger.

I thought that was me until I started logging. I eat what I want, I'm just mindful of portions. You don't have to sacrifice to fit your goals. So I guess your reasoning makes a difference on this one.
  • Pirate_chick
    Pirate_chick Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Moderation is the key to surviving a lifestyle change. If you go in all or nothing you're going to fail. If you like root beer plan for it in your day. Log it enjoy it. If you can't see yourself living without something for the rest of your life don't give it up now. Learn how to control your portions and hold yourself accountable for EVERYTHING that goes into your mouth. Take this one meal at a time. If you mess up, do better the next meal. Don't scrap the day and have a free for all. If you enjoy Chinese, plan for it enjoy it. If you go over a little so what. Just don't do it every day. Hang in there.
  • IHateThinkingOfAUsername
    Options
    You are 2 days closer to your future slimmer self. Congratulations!

You are at, in my opinion, the hardest stage of weight loss, because you are so close in time to your old ways. Tomorrow will be easier. And each day here on in will get easier as you get closer to the new you, and further away from the old you.

All you have to do today is make yourself a promise to not give up trying. Even if you succumb it isn't the end.
    In time you will find a way to treat yourself to Chinese and root beer, but for now a huge well done on resisting them.
  • swoldiergirl
    swoldiergirl Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Remember that every day is a new day to start over. No one said it was going to be easy, so don't beat yourself up. It's a lifestyle change, not a diet so if you want to eat a little bit of something, do it. Denying yourself something will make you crave and want it that much more.
    You can do whatever you put your mind to! ;-)
  • lalepro80
    lalepro80 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Chinese takeout is high in sodium. Like really high. So all your office friends will wake up with puffy eyes and hands in the morning. You won't.
  • Ryandecheney314
    Ryandecheney314 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I am always looking for new friends to give and get support! Feel free to add me :D
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    A couple things I don't think I've seen addressed. As everyone says, you don't need to suddenly go all in. How about trying to substitute Diet Root Beer for Root Beer? I know a lot of people just can't handle the taste if it's not real sugar. But, 0 calories.... And jumping in with full on exercise on day 1.... isn't totally necessary. You don't have to do that. Since you've bought the gym membership, rather than waste it, I'd suggest that you do go. But, don't knock yourself out on day 2. Give yourself license to get used to it slowly. Do a bit, do a bit the next day, and slowly ramp up the time and intensity. Or weight or whatever you are doing.

It sounds like going full bore on day 1 isn't going to work for you.
  • ErikaWhitten
    ErikaWhitten Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of the comments all!

I have tried moderation and cutting down and it just DOES NOT WORK for me. It seems that these never last at all and I just go with the "just one more" or "just a little more" type thing and I just end up giving up. So i'm trying to just abstain from drinking pop and eating terribly unhealthy food for right now.
  • ErikaWhitten
    ErikaWhitten Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    A couple things I don't think I've seen addressed. As everyone says, you don't need to suddenly go all in. How about trying to substitute Diet Root Beer for Root Beer? I know a lot of people just can't handle the taste if it's not real sugar. But, 0 calories.... And jumping in with full on exercise on day 1.... isn't totally necessary. You don't have to do that. Since you've bought the gym membership, rather than waste it, I'd suggest that you do go. But, don't knock yourself out on day 2. Give yourself license to get used to it slowly. Do a bit, do a bit the next day, and slowly ramp up the time and intensity. Or weight or whatever you are doing.

It sounds like going full bore on day 1 isn't going to work for you.

I have tried diet root beer and didn't like it at all. Had a horrible after taste too lol I have been taking it slow at the gym these first few days too. Going to get a routine in place and then build up to more of this and that.
  • bane0317
    bane0317 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    almost any decent chinese place will let you order sauce on the side which equates to a steamed entree. I did this recently with chicken and mixed veggies and asked them to hold the rice. I ended up barely adding any sauce - and it was GREAT! It also allows you to add some seasonings of your own (like some of the great McCormick Perfect Pinch blends out there)!
  • ToughMudderAddict
    ToughMudderAddict Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of the comments all!

I have tried moderation and cutting down and it just DOES NOT WORK for me. It seems that these never last at all and I just go with the "just one more" or "just a little more" type thing and I just end up giving up. So i'm trying to just abstain from drinking pop and eating terribly unhealthy food for right now.

Perhaps next time you could ask a friend to split a meal with you. Order something relatively healthy and then split it. This way you are not eating the whole thing and if you do eat it all you know it could have been WAY worse. I do this frequently when I go out to eat with other people.

Plain water for me is just.. not tasty. I like to do the gatorade powder mix ins or even some of the crystal light flavors.. I also make iced tea every once in a while. Keep at it!
  • jsissom86
    jsissom86 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    That's why you have to remind yourself to take cheat days -- so you don't indulge and overeat. So even though you can't have that chinese necessarily today...you remind yourself you WILL have it for your cheat day this week (i usually pick one thing a week to just NOT CARE ABOUT) and you'll be fine! Just don't go and eat 12 servings of it on your cheat day. HAHA But seriously -- if it's too hard take a couple cheat days or find a chinese restaurant where there's a buffet and then you can pick the healthiest out (salad bars/sushi) maybe a couple unhealthy things and you'll be ok!

I think you're thinking you're never going to be able to have anything good anymore and that is just NOT TRUE.

Keep your head up because "nothing tastes as good as healthy feels"
  • the_texreb
    the_texreb Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I eat Chinese food pretty regularly. The trick is to keep the deep fried, heavy sauce foods in moderation. No problem there. As for the root beer, it's really not that good for you, but a Barq's every now and then won't kill you. (By every now and then I mean once or twice a week, not every few hours)