Day 2 - Dying

Options

Replies

• WhyLime113
    WhyLime113 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of the comments all!

I have tried moderation and cutting down and it just DOES NOT WORK for me. It seems that these never last at all and I just go with the "just one more" or "just a little more" type thing and I just end up giving up. So i'm trying to just abstain from drinking pop and eating terribly unhealthy food for right now.
    The "just one more" mentality was and still sometimes is a big thing for me. But it's usually along the lines of "Well, I did one 'bad' thing, so another bad thing won't be that much worse." Is that how it is for you?
    If so, you pretty much just need to see moderation as the most important thing. It's a process, and it takes a while, but over time you figure it out. It's much easier in the long run to make small changes rather than big changes. Big changes lead to quick failure and personal torture. Small changes are easier to maintain. So don't fret over drinking that Root Beer, just drink it more slowly through the day, or save it as a personal treat for after work or just agree that one is enough, and you can have another tomorrow. That's what worked for me, anyways
  • MrsJoeProGolfer
    Options
    It can definitely be difficult to stop when something tastes good, or it's a "trigger" of yours. I, too, had been an all or nothing (and am still fighting that mentality) type person. I have recently decided that if I want this change, weight loss, fitness thing to stick, I need to relearn how to eat and exercise.

I used to exercise to burn calories so I could eat more. I used to view foods as though I CANNOT have them. I ended up feeling guilty if I missed a workout, and if I ate something I "shouldn't", I ended up eating more because "If I blew the diet already, I midaswell eat what I want".

I've started walking and exercising because I enjoy it, not because I get extra calories. I've started eating whatever I want (while tracking it) and after a couple of weeks, I have absolutely no problem leaving food on the plate, even when we go out.

To me, part of this change is learning how to enjoy life, while still making healthier choices. And heck...sometimes you're going to want and eat the General Tso's chicken, or the huge cupcake, etc. The goal is to track, and move on the the next meal and forgive yourself.
  • debski2323
    Options
    You can buy flavored Stevia by SweetLeaf. It has many flavors. I was a soda drinker/addict and realized last year I was slowly killing myself drinking all that crap. I noticed adding the watermelon flavored stevia to my water made it much more desirable. it's a bit pricey but one bottle lasted me 6 months. I am now weaning myself off of the stevia as well. It's hard but just take it minute by minute and count the little victories. Eventually little ones turn into big ones and if you backslide, just start fresh. I beat myself up early spring this year because I lost 30+ pounds last year and I put a bunch of that weight back on over the winter. Where I am it got very cold, below zero many days and not much higher than that others. I cannot afford a gym here, local gyms are too expensive and more affordable ones are too far and I know I won't go. You have to motivate yourself and let your coworkers know. I started alone in January of last year, by May all of my coworkers were trying to lose a little weight. I just didn't hop on their bandwagon because I know when one slips, they all take that as an opportunity to slip themselves. You have to do it for you. I have a long way to go, but know I have to take it slow and pray that I have the diligence/perseverance and desire to keep it up. Also, stay away from diet foods that have Splenda, Nutrisweet, etc. They will kill you if you learn to like them and they actually make you gain weight because the ingredients make you hungrier in the long run.
  • CarolinaIga
    Options
    I used to say the same, that I have no self control for food but I have been following a healthier routine for two weeks now and realized that statement was just an excuse for me to eat uncontrollably. I'm right there with you, 5'5, 164 lbs, need to loose 30ish pounds. I have tried losing weight many many times before, but just now I fully embraced the fact that I need to adopt a healthier life style. I am against radical changes. I will continue to drink wine, eat Chinese food, spend a lazy afternoon on the couch. Moderation is the key. In addition to improve my eating habits and become more active, I started reading a book called The Compound Effect. It is helping me focus on my goals and become more aware of my bad habits. Clean body, clean mind.
    You have a long journey ahead, enjoy every moment!
  • The_Hungry_Atheist
    Options
    Can you take your lunch into work and set it in the fridge? You could take left overs or make homemade chinese and take it.
    Also...sow your row. I went full throttle like you are doing about half a year ago and I lost 20 lbs in like 1 month and stopped from being overwhelmed and starvation, gained 30 back. I am getting my eating set in stone this time and slowly...SLOWLY...incorporating exercise. As long as you are having these feelings that you are getting the short end of the stick you are pretty much setting yourself up for failure.
  • jms1739
    jms1739 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Any type of change is rough in the beginning. Give yourself credit for starting the change, to a healthier person. This should be a life change, and not a change for a few months. So give yourself time, it won't happen overnight. When I started, I stopped and started over and over many times. But I kept going, taking one day at a time and only focusing on that day. For me, and everyone is different, I couldn't look at tomorrow and I couldn't focus on any mistakes I did yesterday. We are human we make mistakes and we like what we like. Give yourself the option to have the regular Root Beer, or the Chinese food. Just do it in moderation, and tell yourself this is for my future self.

I do a lot of self talk and have to keep reminding myself, how bad do I want that ice cream bar, am I willing to put up with the possible bad feelings that I will feel if I eat it? Or am I going to treat myself and cut back later in the day. And if I choose the treat, I eat it and tell myself to be ok with the choice.

I try and give myself one meal, one day a week to have what I want. I don't count it, but I am careful the rest of the day. And I have found that I can't eat it all or don't want to, just because if I do eat the whole thing I feel sick afterwards.

Keep up the good work, stay positive. You made the step a lot of people don't, the choice to improve yourself. It is your journey and it doesn't matter how long it takes to get there, or how you do it. The point is you took the first step.
  • MindyG150
    MindyG150 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    One Day at a time. Can you print out a motivational a visual for your inside office door :)
  • mundaycarroll
    mundaycarroll Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel when you first start on this journey and see everyone eating all the good stuff, when you've completely cut it out. It'll make you feel like it's not fair that they can have it and you can't. I am also 5'6" and I started this journey a little over 2 months ago at 155 lbs. Now I am at 145 lbs and still feel like I'm struggling.. I have the same GW as you according to your post. A thing that has worked best for me these past 2 months is to NOT cut everything out of your diet. Eat things in moderation and if you feel you're going over board then obviously change it some. I have worked myself down to only having a treat on Fridays. I will usually get an A&W Root Beer and a cookie. My weakness are cookies. I think you would have been perfectly fine if you would have ordered chinese with your co-workers but make healthy decisions when picking stuff off the menu. I know that can be hard some times. I hope this helps you some! I sent you a friend request too! :)
  • judipatootie
    judipatootie Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Hey, Im Judi. I seem to be a habitual dieter, and gainer these days. But im jumping back on the bandwagon (last week) and somehow I managed to lose 2 lbs this past week.
    Anyway- if you deny yourself all the time, then you set yourself up for failure. Having a can of soda- yeah sure isnt the best choice on the first day of your diet, but if you deny it- the cravings will eventually catch up with you and you will blow it. It sounds like you did really well with all aspects of your diet through the rest of the day. Try having half of the can, in a glass with ice. Pour the rest for someone else or dump it down the drain. The ice makes it look like you are getting more than you really are. And sip it slowly- savour it. Tomorrow, drink lots of water and try not to think about that pop. I find that once something is out of my system for a week i stop craving it.

As for the Chinese food. Well- the chinese vegies are probably more healthy than a peanut butter and jam sandwich. Have a little bit- but remember moderation. Eat slowly to enjoy it.
  • kaandersonw
    kaandersonw Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Moderation is the key to surviving a lifestyle change. If you go in all or nothing you're going to fail. If you like root beer plan for it in your day. Log it enjoy it. If you can't see yourself living without something for the rest of your life don't give it up now. Learn how to control your portions and hold yourself accountable for EVERYTHING that goes into your mouth. Take this one meal at a time. If you mess up, do better the next meal. Don't scrap the day and have a free for all. If you enjoy Chinese, plan for it enjoy it. If you go over a little so what. Just don't do it every day. Hang in there.

new to MFP forums. this is a wonderful post. thank you!
  • Howdoyoufeeltoday
    Howdoyoufeeltoday Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    You can go and have some Chinese food, just make sure it fits into your calories. have a smaller portion and have it with a side of vegetables. you can enjoy it and still be social.

Ps peanut butter and jelly sandwiches are amazing and I would love one right now. ahh the sweet salty goodness. :love:
  • Shalaurise
    Shalaurise Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    You don't need to stop eating the foods you love, you just need to eat less of them.

I hear you on the BM thing though. The healthier I eat the more difficult that becomes. I break down and eat junk food, aka the food I have loved for so long, and it clears me out. :)
  • CrusherKun
    CrusherKun Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    CONGRATS - you have taken the first steps in change.

A lot of good advice already given here...but I will leave you with one thought - It took you up to this point to get to where you are, so it stands to reason it will take some time to retrain your Body, Mind, and Soul to be who you want to be!
  • love8383
    love8383 Posts: 169
    Options
    the first couple of weeks are the hardest.
  • mthr2
    mthr2 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Awww....it will be ok. Hopefully those rotten co-workers of yours don't get Chinese food all the time. That would kill me too. Day 3 and 4 and 5 will get easier....and don't forget, the occasional Chinese food lunch will NOT ruin your progress. If you're in it for the long haul, you have to be able to live your life. This is not an all or nothing kind of lifestyle change.

My personal recommendation is to get several days of good behavior under your belt, then have a generous cheat meal, then get right back up on the horse. The most dangerous mentality IMO for newbies is the idea of a "derail". You can't let one step back turn into a quit. The occasional cheat meal/day/weekend/vacation will actually increase your discipline and your faith in yourself that you will indeed go back to "dieting" tomorrow.
  • hariharannarayanan
    hariharannarayanan Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    It's like running for some people. It never gets easy. You just get more tolerant of the pain and learn to push through it. For me, its smoking and drinking. Its been three years since I did either, but I want to get back to it every single day. It has never got easier. I have just gotten better at managing my frustration. I think it all comes down to will. Even though all the information is out there and with a little bit of effort and research one can sift through the junk, there are people who do it and people who do not. You have to make your choice. Good luck to you.
  • MegE_N
    MegE_N Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Eat and drink whatever you want - just do so in moderation. Want chinese for lunch? Maybe have a lighter dinner so your calories balance out. Like soda? Maybe switch to skim milk for your morning cereal. Balance and moderation.
  • Dina1965
    Dina1965 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    What I did when I was on a diet was eat little snacks throughout the day so you're not craving or really hungry. I eat protein bars that taste pretty good and fill me up so I'm not tempted. Get good flavors like cheescake and oreo. Also have rootbeer but have 1/2 and sip slowly learning to savor the flavor. Go slow and slowly get into the habit of diet and exercise. I don't call it diet I call it eating healthy. Good luck
  • vmekash
    vmekash Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I always give up in a day or two, when I go extreme. So much easier to eat whatever I want (I don't eat clean!), and balance my calories. I don't condone eating crapola, but I have had days where dinner was a delicious shake from Cold Stone Creamery, because I WANTED it. I didn't have it in addition to dinner; I had it for dinner. I've done this plenty of times, and it keeps me from eating everything in sight -- which is what happens when I try to avoid that BAD FOR ME thing. Several months of balancing my calories (that is, netting approx. 1200), and I lost from 0.6 to 3.0 lbs. each week. THAT is my success story. I still eat whatever I want. I just have to keep track of calories in and calories out. No need to suffer. (BTW, it is not as easy as it sounds the first couple of weeks, but then becomes quite routine).

Good luck.
  • ncjsquared
    ncjsquared Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm just starting, too. Tried so many things. My issue isn't root beer, it's BEER beer! Oh, and I know you're from the Midwest - POP! We'll all get through it!