Foods that are healthy and have many calories.

Options

Replies

• prosaiche
    prosaiche Posts: 29
    Options

Most snacks are the fruits. Bananas, yogurt, saltine crackers, and peanut butter on a spoon are the usual. I don't do snacks, though, because I only eat when hungry. The idea of eating when not hungry is just strange to me. My husband boredom eats, and that turns me away from eating when not hungry even more.

My son and I eat breakfast and lunch together. All 3 of us have dinner together. (My husband works midnights, so he sleeps through breakfast and lunch.) My son helps me cook, and we have everything on the table when eating. I'm not much of a person who believes in eating in front of a tv or on the couch. I love the family time. It's just us three, so there isn't much noise. Our little guy just eats and then gets up to go back to playing while my husband and I converse afterwards.

The most 'creative' stuff we do is with home made pizza or experiment with flour/dough mix with home made cookies. I don't usually eat either since my son is the one with the ingredients. Lol
    It's really great that you have that awesome habit...eating when hungry instead of when bored/etc!! I'm sure your son is learning from your example! Definitely, making meals for a family is an art form! For me, having meats already roasted and ready (either in the fridge or freezer) is a must, because they can be used in so many different ways, and for any meal including breakfast! I also usually make a big salad that stores well for a few days...it ends up getting eaten for all three meals, even by my children...I think because they watch us do it, and ends up sounding good to them. I have cottage cheese and yogurt on hand. Canned tuna makes a quick tuna melt, or a dip with veggies and crackers. Hors d'oeuvres can make a fun fun meal and you can really get creative out-of-the box with these--totally fun!
    I eat celery instead of salads for that reason. I'm the only one who eats salads in this house, so it goes out too quickly and I have to trash it. But ants on a log? That NEVER gets old.
    Cottage cheese.. yet. We get the 4% kind since it's not too bitter. That and some goldfish crackers are the best.
    I will admit I've been eating a bit less than normal lately, but it's because I'm getting off birth control after 5 years. Body is in for a big change and I'm here and there.

I avoid freezing meat, but maybe I should start. Chicken and Deer will stay juicy even when frozen, right? (So new to the freezing!)
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options

Most snacks are the fruits. Bananas, yogurt, saltine crackers, and peanut butter on a spoon are the usual. I don't do snacks, though, because I only eat when hungry. The idea of eating when not hungry is just strange to me. My husband boredom eats, and that turns me away from eating when not hungry even more.

My son and I eat breakfast and lunch together. All 3 of us have dinner together. (My husband works midnights, so he sleeps through breakfast and lunch.) My son helps me cook, and we have everything on the table when eating. I'm not much of a person who believes in eating in front of a tv or on the couch. I love the family time. It's just us three, so there isn't much noise. Our little guy just eats and then gets up to go back to playing while my husband and I converse afterwards.

The most 'creative' stuff we do is with home made pizza or experiment with flour/dough mix with home made cookies. I don't usually eat either since my son is the one with the ingredients. Lol
    It's really great that you have that awesome habit...eating when hungry instead of when bored/etc!! I'm sure your son is learning from your example! Definitely, making meals for a family is an art form! For me, having meats already roasted and ready (either in the fridge or freezer) is a must, because they can be used in so many different ways, and for any meal including breakfast! I also usually make a big salad that stores well for a few days...it ends up getting eaten for all three meals, even by my children...I think because they watch us do it, and ends up sounding good to them. I have cottage cheese and yogurt on hand. Canned tuna makes a quick tuna melt, or a dip with veggies and crackers. Hors d'oeuvres can make a fun fun meal and you can really get creative out-of-the box with these--totally fun!
    I eat celery instead of salads for that reason. I'm the only one who eats salads in this house, so it goes out too quickly and I have to trash it. But ants on a log? That NEVER gets old.
    Cottage cheese.. yet. We get the 4% kind since it's not too bitter. That and some goldfish crackers are the best.
    I will admit I've been eating a bit less than normal lately, but it's because I'm getting off birth control after 5 years. Body is in for a big change and I'm here and there.

I avoid freezing meat, but maybe I should start. Chicken and Deer will stay juicy even when frozen, right? (So new to the freezing!)
    Juiciness will not be an issue.
    You can roast a chicken in the oven (just put into a very deep pot, uncovered) No need to add anything, just roast it until it's falling apart, and deep golden brown. Then freeze the de-boned chicken in a ziploc, flat so it's easy to break some off for use. Alternatively, your hubbs may enjoy BBQing a couple whole chickens for you, beer can style. Or buy a couple rotisserie chickens, that's better than heating up the oven in the summer. I don't like to roast a chicken in the house, but since I have a whole house fan to remove the odor, I'll do it.
    Ask the meat-person for a 4 lb cross-rib roast...it's a good price and excellent flavor! Have the meat-person cut it into slabs for you so you don't have to do all the cutting after it's cooked. Place the meat into a big lasagne dish pan and slather with unrefined salt, garlic powder and black pepper...use plenty of seasoning. Cover the dish tightly with a generous amount of aluminum foil so the moisture stays in the pan. Bake at 350 degrees for about 3-3.5 hours (until the juices are becoming dark brown). It smells awesome and the flavor is amazing! Check at 3 hours, roast longer if needed. Freeze some in zips, but this meat will taste awesome for days in your fridge!
  • prosaiche
    Options
    You can roast a chicken in the oven (just put into a very deep pot, uncovered) No need to add anything, just roast it until it's falling apart, and deep golden brown. Then freeze the de-boned chicken in a ziploc, flat so it's easy to break some off for use. Alternatively, your hubbs may enjoy BBQing a couple whole chickens for you, beer can style. Or buy a couple rotisserie chickens, that's better than heating up the oven in the summer. I don't like to roast a chicken in the house, but since I have a whole house fan to remove the odor, I'll do it.
    Ask the meat-person for a 4 lb cross-rib roast...it's a good price and excellent flavor! Have the meat-person cut it into slabs for you so you don't have to do all the cutting after it's cooked. Place the meat into a big lasagne dish pan and slather with unrefined salt, garlic powder and black pepper...use plenty of seasoning. Cover the dish tightly with a generous amount of aluminum foil so the moisture stays in the pan. Bake at 350 degrees for about 3-3.5 hours (until the juices are becoming dark brown). It smells awesome and the flavor is amazing! Check at 3 hours, roast longer if needed. Freeze some in zips, but this meat will taste awesome for days in your fridge!
    That's good, then. I usually put the chicken in the crock pot and then the oven just wrapped in foil with the corn. We never buy boned chicken. Just breasts. I dont do ribs either.. I pick at any fatty like piece.. Those my boys ADORE ribs.
    (I'll also be looking up what beer can style chicken is.. Never heard that term.)

I'll get this copied, though. I mainly cook chicken breast, brisket, lamb, deer, and buffalo.. but I love new things regarding meat. Thanks!
  • JTThomas
    JTThomas Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Do you happen to live near an Aldi grocery store? Their prices for produce are much cheaper than other grocery stores and much of their other merchandise is generic but of good quality. If there's one near you it'd definitely be worth your while to check it out for chicken, other meats, peanut butter, avocado, breads, eggs, milk, etc.
  • servicedograiser
    servicedograiser Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    MILK:bigsmile: Good for 5 yr olds and certainly has protein!
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure I understand the original question? You are looking for healthy, calorie dense foods, which are inexpensive and also suitable for your son? Is that right? Are you just tying to get your cals up to your daily goal? How far short are you falling?
  • ArtGeek22
    ArtGeek22 Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    Coconut, Avocado, Cliff Bars ($1 a piece), Tahini, and nut butters?
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    That's good, then. I usually put the chicken in the crock pot and then the oven just wrapped in foil with the corn. We never buy boned chicken. Just breasts. I dont do ribs either.. I pick at any fatty like piece.. Those my boys ADORE ribs.
    (I'll also be looking up what beer can style chicken is.. Never heard that term.)

I'll get this copied, though. I mainly cook chicken breast, brisket, lamb, deer, and buffalo.. but I love new things regarding meat. Thanks!
    I've not tried those meats, and I should:) If you ever do a whole chicken, you can use the bones to make broth...just put the bones/cartilage in a roomy pot with some basic veggies like carrot, celery, onion, parsley, add water until covered. Bring to boil then lower heat. Let it simmer, barely bubbling (harder simmers will emulsify fats and make a cloudy broth), until the veggies look spent. Strain and freeze! It's delicious if youdrink it like broth in a mug, with a squeeze of lemon and some additional seasoning, or make a soup.
  • ElkeKNJ
    ElkeKNJ Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    If you want inspiration for tasty and healthy budget meals, this website is dedicated to this: http://www.budgetkoken.be/.
    Meals for 4 people at EUR 10,- or less (today that is 13,46 USD).
    It is in Dutch though, but the online translators work quite well.

I have three kids, and feed them the same style you do. I do not cook the typical children's dishes, that's what grandma is for, and I never force them to finish their plate, only to at least taste each item on their plate. There are days when they eat less than a mouse, but they do not get a cookie for dessert (don't want them to not eat and then fill their stomach on cookies afterwards). If they are hungry, they will eat, and sometimes I make them a sandwich an hour later.
    Also, when I know they won't eat much, I cook a bit less of it. If they surprisingly, like the dish better than I thought, I share my portion with them. I always try to portion so that their are no leftovers.
    I am not always successful, but I usually get it about right.
  • lcyama
    lcyama Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    cheese. (add it to broccoli, if you're interested in adding veggies.)

salad dressing, like ranch, for dipping (carrots, celery, chicken, pizza bread.) it sounds gross to me but my kids would eat things dipped in ranch that they wouldn't eat otherwise. the salad dressing isn't "healthy" like you requested, but the dippers can be.

and again, nuts. i could eat peanut butter all day long but i'm trying to keep my calories down.

oh, and my kids LOVE spaghetti. marinara sauce and sausage/meatballs on the side.
  • abyt42
    abyt42 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    Pesto
    (Well, it's not super expensive if you grow the garlic & basil, omit nuts) Then the expense is oil & parmesan.

My kids loved it when they were tiny, and love it still, on noodles. Particularly with a side of sauted apples.
  • WinoGelato
    Options
    Again, I am still confused, and the OP hasn't been back to clarify. Is the need for getting more calories in because of you, OP, or for your child? Everyone is really focused on providing kid friendly meal suggestions, which I appreciate, because I have little kids that don't eat very well, but I thought the OP was originally asking for herself and oh by the way, the suggestions would need to work for kids too.

Without having all the info, I will throw hummus into the suggestion box though... with veggies or pita chips.
  • prosaiche
    Options
    I'm not sure I understand the original question? You are looking for healthy, calorie dense foods, which are inexpensive and also suitable for your son? Is that right? Are you just tying to get your cals up to your daily goal? How far short are you falling?
    Sorry for not getting back.
    I'm looking for more calories for me. Inexpensive to save money. Something to where my son will still eat it.
    (Such as some days I eat mixed green and ham. He will not touch the greens, which leaves me to do more cooking and more leftovers.. which I try to avoid).
    I'm usually 800-1000 calories off my goal. Have been every day I've been on this website. Without exercising, I get close to the calorie goal by 400 or so, but with exercising it brings the numbers back to the original I stated.
  • WinoGelato
    Options
    I'm looking for more calories for me. Inexpensive to save money. Something to where my son will still eat it.
    (Such as some days I eat mixed green and ham. He will not touch the greens, which leaves me to do more cooking and more leftovers.. which I try to avoid).
    I'm usually 800-1000 calories off my goal. Have been every day I've been on this website. Without exercising, I get close to the calorie goal by 400 or so, but with exercising it brings the numbers back to the original I stated.

Opening your diary might help so people can see what you usually eat and offer other suggestions... you are falling pretty short of your goal, are you weighing your food? Seeing results that would go along with your daily deficit?

Can you just eat larger portions? Also, ice cream!
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    Cheese, glorious cheese.
  • KseRz
    KseRz Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    nuts, avocado, cook with oils and butter, etc...basically eat more fat...it is an essential nutrient, not something to be avoided at all costs. I would add fattier cuts of meat, poultry, and fatty fish like salmon. Again, fat isn't the devil and you need a certain amount of it for proper nutrition. Most people go way overboard trying to cut the fat because they are under the impression that fat makes you fat and/or is unhealthy...again...it is essential.

+1 this
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    No vegetables, though.
    It seems no matter what I do, I can't get more calories in my body without my stomach hurting from filling too much. I want to stick to the small portions I've done for the past 7 years now... But in a way where I'm wearing something balanced with more calories.
    I cook on the stove 3 out of 7 days a week, and the meal would have to be good for a child as well. Nothing too spicy/hot/peppered/etc.

Nuts
    avocados
    peanut/almond butter
    whole milk
    whole eggs
    beef/steak
  • prosaiche
    Options

Opening your diary might help so people can see what you usually eat and offer other suggestions... you are falling pretty short of your goal, are you weighing your food? Seeing results that would go along with your daily deficit?

Can you just eat larger portions? Also, ice cream!
    Diary wise, we eat a bit? Just too much makes my stomach hurt. lol. I could try more cheese, though. And cottage cheese.. we love it.
    Weighing food? I'm a bit confused as to what that means. Actually putting it on a scale,or just reading the box?

Eating larger portions makes my stomach hurt and put me in the mindset that I'm eating when I don't need to. I always stop when full. Have for many years and I really don't want to break that and feel like I over eat. I was told this is a healthy mindset to have, but probably not with the calories I take in. Then again, I've eaten this way and what not for those same amount of years.

Regular icecream works, right? I almost never touch sweets. Had my first candy bar in 3 months or so and it hurt the roof of my mouth.. So I'm being careful with sweets.
  • prosaiche
    Options
    No vegetables, though.
    It seems no matter what I do, I can't get more calories in my body without my stomach hurting from filling too much. I want to stick to the small portions I've done for the past 7 years now... But in a way where I'm wearing something balanced with more calories.
    I cook on the stove 3 out of 7 days a week, and the meal would have to be good for a child as well. Nothing too spicy/hot/peppered/etc.

Nuts
    avocados
    peanut/almond butter
    whole milk
    whole eggs
    beef/steak
    Already good on those C:
  • prosaiche
    Options
    Cheese, glorious cheese.
    All hail the glorious cheese and bacon.