Early Birds who work out

Options

Replies

• skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    I get up at 5:15 bathroom, brush teeth, put on workout clothes and head out the door to run. I usually listen to country music, some mornings I just take my buds out and listen to nothing. I'm home in about 45 mins or so then walk the dog, make breakfast, get ready for work and out the door around 7:00. I usually eat breakfast at work around 8:00.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    What time do you dedicated early birds go to bed?? I would love to workout in the morning if only I could get to sleep at a reasonable hour.

Anywhere from 9:00 to 11:00 depending on what is happening in my house.
  • Cardio4Cupcakes
    Cardio4Cupcakes Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I'm up at 4, get ready and make coffee which I drink on the way to the gym, I get there around 4:30 (I'm slow moving in the morning heh)
  • lmarshel
    lmarshel Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    My alarm goes off at 4am. I usually hit snooze at least once, but I'm up by 4:20. I take some meds that have to be on an empty stomach with nothing but water for at least an hour after, so I down those with a bottle of water and hit the bricks. I run or cycle for 40-50 minutes then come home and put the coffee on. While that's brewing, I feed the dog, down another bottle of water and hit the shower. By the time I'm out, coffee's ready and so am I!

I usually have a handful of almonds with coffee before work but don't eat breakfast till about 9 or 10.

And I am almost always in bed by 9:30...10 at the latest.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    Options
    I don't listen to or watch anything. Just quiet. I run out doors though so I like to count the bunnies (there were 4 today). It's all my sleepy brain can do!

I find the exercise (in my case, jogging) is enough to wake me up by the end of it and I have my coffee at work. I could see the benefits to having your coffee first, but I have a hard enough time getting out of bed at 5:30 to exercise so I'm not going to get up an additional 45 minutes early to brew a pot, sip it and let it get through me enough that it doesn't slosh around my stomach as I exercise. But I also tend to drink a lot of coffee when I drink coffee... not just a small amount.
  • Eaglesfanintn
    Eaglesfanintn Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    I get up at 4:10 every morning - sometimes on the weekend I'll hit the snooze once or twice.
    Drink some water and take the dogs for a walk - this helps to wake me up and loosen stiff muscles.
    Drop them off and then head back out for a run.
    I listen to different stuff - sometimes a running playlist I created, sometimes an audio book or a podcast.
    I also head to bed at 9 and am usually asleep within 30-45 minute.
  • joanthemom8
    joanthemom8 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Yes, I do go to the gym first thing in the morning (anywhere btwn 4:30-5:30)... I HAVE to drink coffee.... I don't set an alarm - I wake up on my own, so when I get going, I'm OK. I like to listen to Tom Petty, Mumford and Sons, Queen ('cause I love the "Fat Bottom Girls" song).... music makes the cardio (either treadmill or elliptical) go a lot faster for me.

I love working out in the a.m..... it puts me in a good mood for most of the day and I don't have to worry about it after work (plus I don't have time).

Good luck and have fun!
  • jlc102980
    jlc102980 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I go to bed around 9 and fall asleep between 9:30 and 10 pm (if I stay up later, I have a hard time getting out of bed in the morning).

I am up between 5 and 5:30 on work out days and out the door within 15 minutes. I always have water before I work out - but not too much.

If I am going for a walk or run of ~30 minutes, I do not eat. When I get home, I have an egg-and-egg white omelette and get ready for work.

If I am going to boot camp, I will have a hard boiled egg or granola bar and 1/2 cup red gatorade before I leave. Maybe it is in my head, but the gatorade helps. After I work out, I drive straight to my office and get ready at our on-site gym (boot camp has no locker room, and it is halfway between home and office, so this makes sense for me from a fuel-and-mileage perspective). After I workout I have another hard boiled egg and piece of fruit - usually while in the car, because I am ravenous by this point.

To those who mentioned it -- I was not always a morning person. I stayed up late, and slept late and really struggled getting out of bed. I would hit the snooze button 10 times. But my work schedule makes p.m. workouts difficult, so I forced myself up early one day. I had a hard workout and was exhausted that night. After about a week of hard workouts, my body just adjusted to waking up earlier and going to sleep earlier. I actually wake up before my alarm now. Also, no caffeine after 3 or 4 helps me, too.

Edited to mention music: I have what I call a "wake up, feel good mix" that i listen to on early morning walks/runs. The first song is kind of uplifting and motivating, and it gets progressively more upbeat and the tempo increases with each song. When I work out in the afternoons (say on a weekend) I listen to something completely different. At boot camp, I do not get to pick the music. They usually play Gaga or something similar.
  • stingrayinfl
    stingrayinfl Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    When I was young, I did not like morning workouts. Now, that I have aged, I love morning workouts and very seldom do an afternoon workout (unless it is an ultra or marathon that starts late or at midnight).

I do not set the alarm and usually am up 3:30 to 4am. Earlier, the better.

If I am running, I am out the door within 20 mins. Check emails, computer, drink water and go.

If I go to the gym (usually ellip and stretching and lifting and a version of crossfit), about the same routine. Only difference is that sometimes I will drink coffee if going to rpm class.

If Sat morning and I am running a marathon or ultra, I will drink zero power aid, 32 ounces of water, usually some coffee and eat toast and sugar free jelly.

I love the mornings, so many blessings and not a lot of traffic on the roads, unless I run in front of Hardee's, lol.

If I get a good workout in and my kids, wife and grandkids are ok, then the day will be great.

Try it for a while. You will find out what is best for you.

By the way, I don't listen to music. When I am at the gym, I usually watch the morning news from the nearest big city and sometimes ESN or Mike and Mike. Sometimes I watch a show that has 2 blondes doing workout routines..lol.
  • jessica_1205_
    jessica_1205_ Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    My early workouts are running in the street so I go to bed around 10.30pm and my alarm goes off at 6am. I give myself ten minutes to fully come round and then I'm up, dressed, teeth brushed, a banana eaten and out the door for 6.20am.

I listen to anything that's on my phone but at the moment I'm favouring Bastille, and Ed Sheeran's new album. Bouncy and non-offensive stuff for that time of the day! I save the likes of System of a Down for the evening haha.
  • kriskris92
    kriskris92 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I'm just transitioning to morning workouts, so currently I'm in bed by 10 at the latest, up at 5:30 and done my workout by 6:30 to start getting ready for work. I just do a dvd usually, so typically about 45 minutes of cardio and then a few minutes to cool down and breathe before I have to get ready for the real world. Sometimes will do another workout in the afternoon/evening depending on the day, but this schedule at least guarantees that I get one workout in each day!
  • superfox12082
    superfox12082 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    I run outside in the morning. I don't run with music for the reason that it seems too loud that early. (I also have to be aware of critters where I run).
  • lovekohl
    lovekohl Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Up at 530 usually on my first set at 6. I don't eat or drink anything or listen or watch anything... Lol boring.

This. It's possible for me to listen to music while on a treadmill but I prefer not to because I feel like it messes with my run cadence.
  • _MG_
    _MG_ Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Up at 0430. I get out of bed, step on the scale, get dressed, grab my workout bag, and head to the gym. I dink water on my drive/during workout.

I have massive playlists that I use depending on what I'm doing.

Lifting? Lots of metal.
    Bike/Walk? I have playlists set at the speeds I want to go. I normally use a 100bpm for the bike and a 115-117 bpm for walks. The music on those is a mix of everything: Rock, EDM, Pop, Rap. The only thing missing is Country. Yuck.
  • jfauci
    jfauci Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I'm up at 3:30 and at the gym from 4-5. I don't eat or drink before working out. As for music, I have Sirius XM and listen to 90's alternative radio all through my workout. Gets me totally pumped!!

Now, if the wifi at the gym is down, I plug my headphones into the TV system and watch Law and Order re-runs.
  • chrs86
    chrs86 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Wake up at 4:45 have some coffee, get dressed, brush teeth, and out the door by 5:20. I walk the 10min to the gym to help wake me up and watch the sunrise. I usually just plug the headphones in and watch the news. The staff was slacking today and didn't turn on the tv's or music til 6am. That was boring.
  • Care_Mia
    Care_Mia Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I get up around 5:30 and head out for a walk. Don't even put my contacts in... eyes aren't really open too much to start anyway. I listen to audio books instead of music. (David Baldacci - The Forgotten this morning) The story keeps my mind distracted and I just go. I don't eat or drink until I'm done with the walk (usually about 40 minutes)
  • paniolo5
    paniolo5 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Just got back at it this year but my current routine is out of bed at 5:30, dress for my run, pack lunches & make hubby's breakfast (yes, I spoil the man!), make coffee but don't drink it yet. Hit the door by 6:15 with Pandora on a mix of genres and a bottle of water, which I drink during my walking intervals. A couple of times a week, I do a few sets of weights when I get back home. I guess because I do a few things before I head out, the music doesn't bother me as I'm wide awake by then. It's also easy right now with it being daylight in the morning, not sure what I'm going to do when darkness hits again. I'm a bit of a chicken being out alone in the dark. Lol.
  • Jerrypeoples
    Jerrypeoples Posts: 1,541 Member
    Options
    i hit the gym 5:30am 4 days a week for 30 minutes of cardio. alarm goes off at 5am...i sit there dreading have to go. put on my shorts/shirt/socks/shoes/hat and make it down stairs. I add the I want Endurance blueberry powder to my water and shake it up (5:20am) and am out the door. I get to the gym at 5:25 and proceed.

my music of choice is my ipod that i have anything from faith no more to golden earring to pearl jam to alice in chains to flock of seagulls to tori amos.

usually i skip over the "quiter" songs and hit some lo fidelity allstars or sponge
  • bewitchedgem
    bewitchedgem Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    My current routine is, up at 5-530 (depending on hubby's schedule) to Pandora's Pitbull station. I either ride the exercise bike, or rebound, for 30 mins - 1hr (before I realize I'm awake), then dance in the shower. I don't drink/eat anything until after I'm done, since our bedroom is upstairs... not to mention, rebounding with water in your stomach makes you feel all sloshy. I then eat at around 7-730 with the kids.

I currently go to bed at around 9 or 10. That may get later when I start school up again, depending on classes.