My feet are killing me

Options

Replies

• ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    check your form. if you're landing on your heels try landing more on the midsole of the foot

For more info on running form check out ChiRunning and/or Pose Method of Running.

OOOH! Thank you for posting this. Someone told me about form, Chi Running and I could not for the life of me remember the name they gave me...and they left MFP! So thank you!

Quite honestly, the whole 'changing your gait' thing could be complete overkill. Its very vogue right now, but that doesn't mean its the right thing to do. HIs gait might be fine, you can't tell over the internet. First, change out the crappy shoes. Overhauling your gait in this situation is like buying a new car because you have a flat tire.
  • tibby531
    tibby531 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    http://www.runnersworld.com/shoe-finder/shoe-advisor

I plugged my info in, tried on a few of the suggested one. naturally, the most expensive ones felt the best. ...but since I bought them, I have NO PAIN. also a good pre and post stretch helps.
  • Eaglesfanintn
    Eaglesfanintn Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Your local running store should have told you the profile of shoe you are looking for and recommended several specific models. You are likely to be able to find last year's, or the year before's model of the same shoe online (amazon, 6pm, running warehouse, etc.) or at stores. Usually they don't change TOO much. Another option would be to plug the shoe they recommended into the runner's world shoe finder to see other shoes that might fit the bill.

I would discourage you from just buying any random shoe labeled a running shoe because they vary wildly in features, support, cushioning, heel-to-toe drop, stiffness, assumed gait and running style, etc.

http://www.runnersworld.com/shoe-finder/shoes-like-mine

This is good advice. You don't have to buy from the running store, but if they analyze your running, you should listen to what they say. I have really wide feet, a high arch, I overpronate. After 3 years of buying running shoes, I know what I need (and what won't work for me. Take the information they gave you and use it to find the right shoe, hopefully at the right price.
  • Melonpaul
    Melonpaul Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    If you don't mind buying online you should check out the site below
    http://gearup.active.com/Events.aspx?ReturnUrl=/

I bought a pair of really good pair of trail running shoes for about $40 (I think they were on sale) and they have a great return/exchange policy. When I first got my shoes they didn't fit and I sent them back for another size and it only took a few days to get the new size and they fit perfectly.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Y'all are lucky in the US. My running shoes retail at about $169. I do need a supportive shoe which costs more, but it is worth it. I've been lucky to find my model on sale at the end of season two years now for half price. So $100 (with tax) IS a sale for me.
    The more neutral shoes are closer to $100 regular.

Honestly I've been through everything. From neutral, to supportive and been everywhere between cheap to expensive. I've experienced everything from shin splints to plantar fasciitis. I'm at the point now where my expensive shoes are worth the price because they keep me injury free.

I'm not saying expensive equals better, I'm just saying that the right shoe can be worth it in the long run.
  • ChunkLaFunk
    ChunkLaFunk Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    You don't mention your weight but if you're over 180 pounds, consider trail runners. They have much better support, especially in the mid-foot and laterally.

In my youth I was big time distance runner and always bought high quality shoes. Never had foot/ankle/shin issues. Sometimes you just have to make the investment. Don't want to sound like an infomercial but if you take $100 and divide it by a year, it'll come out to pennies per day!

You should get properly fitted at running store though. Don't have to buy there but you need to have your stride analyzed. Do over/under pronate, heel strike, high/low arch? so many things that make a difference in running comfort.

Constant pain is not good and your body is giving you a hint. Stretch the back and fronts of your lower legs religiously. If you can use heat before you run but definitely ice when your finished. Also, compression sleeves may help during your runs.

Avoid hills and try to run on softer surfaces versus cement or asphalt. And get rid of those And 1's!
  • jjj6689
    jjj6689 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I finally broke down last year and bought the expensive shoes and my feet love me. I bought Brooks Glycerin last year and just replaced them with Brooks Ghost 7 - When I thought about how many miles I was putting on my shoes (I know my old ones had over 750 miles and that was just what I tracked this year) the cost didn't seem as bad.
  • kshadows
    kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options
    My sneakers (fitted to me) were $160. I've NEVER spent more than $40 on shoes but running is important to me, so I need to make sure I take care of myself. 2 runs in cheap shoes, and I have been plagued with knee pain for 3 months, and needing to see an orthopedic surgeon. Buy the shoes if you're serious about running.
  • kshadows
    kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options
    Good ole Walmart sells Avia running shoes. Amazon has good reviews. I understand each individual is different and so will have different opinions/results. Anyone like Avias? They're only 25 bucks. 1/4 of the cost of the "running shoe" store's price.

You get what you pay for. They will work for some people but some (like me) need STABILITY shoes, which you can't get at Wal Mart. I get awful knee and foot pains if I run in neutral shoes, and stability cost more but it's worth it because I can keep running and not be injured. The co-pays for my doctor visits add up to much more than sneakers.
  • fullersun35
    fullersun35 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    100 is common for running shoes.

+1

Don't go for cheap shoes first when it comes to running shoes. Buy shoes that are properly fitted for your body. They will cause less health issues down the road. If you can afford the $100, pay the $100.
  • AdventureFreak
    AdventureFreak Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I am pretty good size and run pretty hard often. My feet, ankles, and legs hurt often. Use ibuprofen, get massage, elevate your feet at night, get on some joint supplements, ice, and compress often. Get the expensive shoe store to tell you if you pronate or supinate then hit the discount store for a shoe that is right for cheap. Running is hard and jarring and you are older now than when you started reading this so don't hesitate to get your RICE on. I spend at least one weekend night with compression bandages holding ice packs to my ankles on elevated feet while watching a movie even after several years of regular running.
  • cwrig
    cwrig Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    $100 is a bargain for the right shoe. Is saving $50 really worth months of pain?

Buying expensive shoes does not guarantee no pain; but having the wrong shoe will certainly cause problems. Get fitted with the correct shoes, make sure you take rest days and try running on softer surfaces. I switched to a rubberized track for a month and all knee, ankle shin pain went away.

The combination of correct shoe, softer running surface, taking rest days, and good running form will go a long way to correcting the problem.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    A better way to know if a running shop is hustling you is if they try to sell you insoles. As many others said, $100 is about the going rate for your standard-use trainers. Buy them once from the store and hunt future ones down on Amazon. Shoes are not the thing you want to skimp on, trust me. Running in bargain shoes is what got me $20K worth of taxpayer funded knee surgery 10 years ago. My fitted shoe is pretty darn perfect for me (Mizuno Wave Rider) and the current model I paid $115 for is now $85 because new colors came out. If I give it another month, I could probably snag them for $75.
  • tsimblist
    tsimblist Posts: 206 Member
    Options

Quite honestly, the whole 'changing your gait' thing could be complete overkill. Its very vogue right now, but that doesn't mean its the right thing to do. HIs gait might be fine, you can't tell over the internet. First, change out the crappy shoes. Overhauling your gait in this situation is like buying a new car because you have a flat tire.

What I find to be complete overkill are expensive shoes. I spent $29.00 plus shipping for my Xero Shoes and they are guaranteed for 5000 miles (yep, that's three zeros).
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    What I find to be complete overkill are expensive shoes. I spent $29.00 plus shipping for my Xero Shoes and they are guaranteed for 5000 miles (yep, that's three zeros).

F**k that. I've already had reconstructive surgery on my knees and ankles, wasn't fun that time and I don't want to try it again.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

That's fantastic for you (that isn't sarcasm). I wanted to do the whole minimalist thing. I've read all about it, I believe there are many people who could benefit from it. Unfortunately, I do not believe it is a one size fits all solution.
    I simply cannot do minimal. My choice is expensive shoes or don't run. I choose expensive. I do not consider it overkill.
  • tsimblist
    tsimblist Posts: 206 Member
    Options

F**k that. I've already had reconstructive surgery on my knees and ankles, wasn't fun that time and I don't want to try it again.

I don't want to try reconstructive surgery either. That's why I've spent the last 6 years focusing on proper running form and the last 2 years barefoot/minimalist shod. Proper form reduces the risk of injury. And barefoot/minimalist reinforces proper form.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options

That's fantastic for you (that isn't sarcasm). I wanted to do the whole minimalist thing. I've read all about it, I believe there are many people who could benefit from it. Unfortunately, I do not believe it is a one size fits all solution.
    I simply cannot do minimal. My choice is expensive shoes or don't run. I choose expensive. I do not consider it overkill.

Yup. Running shoes are not a one-size-fits-all thing. I started running long distance in minimalist shoes. They gave me tendonitis. I moved to stability shoes about 5 years ago, got properly fitted, and have not had a running-related injury since. I get re-fitted from time to time, and change shoes depending on goals (different shoes for a 5k road race and a 50 mile trail ultra). I'm not wealthy, but it is absolutely worth it to me to shell out money for shoes in order to avoid physical therapy bills.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I don't want to try reconstructive surgery either. That's why I've spent the last 6 years focusing on proper running form and the last 2 years barefoot/minimalist shod. Proper form reduces the risk of injury. And barefoot/minimalist reinforces proper form.

Whilst barefoot shoes encourage proper form it's that vicious circle of getting there. If ones form isn't correct then what encourages improvement is pain, and potentially injury, until it's resolved. Pain, for me, reduced my inclination to run.

For me, injury free running means a support shoe for road running, and a lower drop trail shoe for trail running. I wouldn't be trying the lower drop without the last 18 months of running in a support shoe.
  • aarnwine2013
    aarnwine2013 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry but the right shoes are a must. I had heel pain and shin pain, got fitted for running shoes, cost me around 130 and I've been pain free since.

Well until I rolled my ankle this past week, but the right shoes are so important.