Please, please, please! Everyone stop "dieting"!

Options
13»

Replies

• Aero1dynamic
    Aero1dynamic Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Eating a Big Mac while I read this.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,036 Member
    Options
    There is no such thing as a "quick fix", or target your hard to lose areas, or cut out carbs and you'll lose weight!!

This is all false advertising so you will buy the books! Think about it! If these indeed did work, then there would not be an obesity crisis in North America, AND most of you would not need to join MyFitnessPal!

Sure some of these may give you the satisfaction that you just lost 10 lbs because you cut out carbs! That's great! Except it is not a healthy start and, when you do put carbs back into your diet, you most likely will gain it all back and then some!

Also, the media puts these models and movie stars on their magazines, and airbrushes out their imperfections! No acne, no stretch marks, no ugly mole! It is all unrealistic!

You are all beautiful and the first step should be to recognize that! Then the second step is to say what is best for my health? Do what is best for you but do it healthy!! Stop eating the fast food or processed food! You don't know what is in them!! Losing weight takes dedication and very hard work but you all can do it!! Healthy, positive, and happy.

Peace and love to you all.
    Maureen

notice that right before and after she mentions the fast food...
    "you are beautiful and the first step should be to recognize that!'

'losing weight takes dedication and very hard work but you all can do it! healthy, positive and happy.

peace and love to you all.'

Yes, like many posters pointed out, her heart was in the right place and her intention was to be positive and motivating - I see it that way too.

However the bit about not eating processed or fast food was still poor advice.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    lets focus on the positives in what OP said and not the negative!

So as long as someone is positive, we shouldn't correct the misinformation? Well, you just do you and I'll do me, okay?
  • sparacka
    sparacka Posts: 137 Member
    Options

Is such a thing even allowed on MFP?

OP: please explain to me how cutting out carbs is unhealthy. Please also explain how weight lost through a LCHF diet in conjunction with a calorie deficit will immediately be regained if I dare to eat a Saltine.
  • zericaaaaa
    zericaaaaa Posts: 313 Member
    Options

So as long as someone is positive, we shouldn't correct the misinformation? Well, you just do you and I'll do me, okay?

okay!
  • zericaaaaa
    Options

Is such a thing even allowed on MFP?

OP: please explain to me how cutting out carbs is unhealthy. Please also explain how weight lost through a LCHF diet in conjunction with a calorie deficit will immediately be regained if I dare to eat a Saltine.

eh thought it was worth a try lol
  • mojo501976
    mojo501976 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Good luck to each and everyone one of you! I do sincerely wish you all the best in your weight loss and maintain!

Peace!

Maureen
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Was with you until that.

There is nothing wrong with processed or fast food in moderation. It's not going to kill you, it's not going to prevent you from losing, maintaining, or gain weight. Please stop spreading misinformation and food fear mongering attitudes. Health isn't just a physical thing, it's a mental thing too, plus no one needs the extra stress of worrying about having a burger and fries every now and again.

Sorry but McDonalds in any amount is bad. Fastfood is not really even food. Go buy a double cheesburger from any chain and put it in a cabinet or shelf or drawer and forget about it. Go look at it in a month,year,decade later and you tell me..

http://aht.seriouseats.com/archives/2010/11/the-burger-lab-revisiting-the-myth-of-the-12-year-old-burger-testing-results.html

Science FTW!

That was awesome.

And now I want a hamburger but we already went to McDonalds for an ice cream.

That article had the opposite effect on me. :laugh:
  • zericaaaaa
    Options
    Good luck to each and everyone one of you! I do sincerely wish you all the best in your weight loss and maintain!

Peace!

Maureen

thank you! i wish you the best as well :)
  • ukaryote
    ukaryote Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    First thing was I felt lousy and started to look like a sack of potatoes having a fistfight.
    Second thing was a decision for a change in lifestyle, especially given my age and slowing metabolism. *#!$ diets. I gotta get into habits that will last the next few decades.

The most difficult part has been convincing my family to stop getting food treats for me, and simply keeping them out of the house. Like, I love potato chips and dip but please do not get it to be "nice".
  • zericaaaaa
    Options
    First thing was I felt lousy and started to look like a sack of potatoes having a fistfight.
    Second thing was a decision for a change in lifestyle, especially given my age and slowing metabolism. *#!$ diets. I gotta get into habits that will last the next few decades.

The most difficult part has been convincing my family to stop getting food treats for me, and simply keeping them out of the house. Like, I love potato chips and dip but please do not get it to be "nice".

exactly! its all about the lifestyle change instead of the 'diet.' i wish you much success on your journey!

and please keep the potato chips away from me as well. hahaha crab chips are my best friend/enemy haha
  • dyannajoy
    dyannajoy Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    thank you. I agree with everything you said!
  • dyannajoy
    dyannajoy Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    thanks!
  • GiGiBeans
    GiGiBeans Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    If I listened to all the low carb naysayers I'd still be overweight. It's the only thing that worked for me. I'm all for people finding what works for them. Low carb isn't unhealthy, it's protein, veggies & low glycemic fruit so hush.
  • Birder155
    Birder155 Posts: 223 Member
    Options

Peace!

Maureen

Thank you, Maureen.
    The same to you! :flowerforyou:
  • nikkihk
    nikkihk Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Stop eating the fast food or processed food! You don't know what is in them!!
    and...
    Fastfood is not really even food.

Where are you getting this information?

The truth is Fast food isn't any more or less "real food" then what you choose to consume at home. It has the same nutritional, caloric, and macro values as it's home purchased version.

MCD's Fries: Potatoes.

(Potatoes, Vegetable Oil, Citric Acid, Dextrose, Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate, Salt. Prepared in Vegetable Oil, Dimethylpolysiloxane.)

MCD's Chicken: Chicken.

(Nuggets/ Mc Chicken: White Boneless Chicken, Water, Food Starch-Modified, Salt, Seasoning, Battered and Breaded with: Water, Enriched Flour, Yellow Corn Flour, Bleached Wheat Flour, Food Starch-Modified, Salt, Leavening (baking soda), Spices, Wheat Starch, Dextrose, Corn Starch.

Grilled: Chicken Breast Fillet with Rib Meat, Water, Seasoning, Sodium Phosphates.)

MCD's Burgers: Hamburger.
    (Ingredients: 100% Pure USDA Inspected Beef; No Fillers, No Extenders.)

Now, not only are many of the "chemicals" also in the store bought versions of Fries and breaded chicken? But they don't affect the nutritional value of foods in anyway when served the same way at home. Sure, you probably shouldn't have fast food everyday for every meal.... but not because it's bad for you but because all things should be ingested in moderation.

The only thing inherently "bad" about fast food is unreasonable portion sizes. I'd say as long as you get you fresh fruits and veggies in as well? You could live off the McDonald's as well as you could live off of store hamburger and ore-da fries.
  • blaccoffee
    blaccoffee Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    There is no such thing as a "quick fix", or target your hard to lose areas, or cut out carbs and you'll lose weight!!

This is all false advertising so you will buy the books! Think about it! If these indeed did work, then there would not be an obesity crisis in North America, AND most of you would not need to join MyFitnessPal!

Sure some of these may give you the satisfaction that you just lost 10 lbs because you cut out carbs! That's great! Except it is not a healthy start and, when you do put carbs back into your diet, you most likely will gain it all back and then some!

Also, the media puts these models and movie stars on their magazines, and airbrushes out their imperfections! No acne, no stretch marks, no ugly mole! It is all unrealistic!

You are all beautiful and the first step should be to recognize that! Then the second step is to say what is best for my health? Do what is best for you but do it healthy!! Stop eating the fast food or processed food! You don't know what is in them!! Losing weight takes dedication and very hard work but you all can do it!! Healthy, positive, and happy.

Peace and love to you all.
    Maureen

TLDR;
    Calories In < Calories out to lose weight.
    Media is unrealistic in its portrayal of everyday people
    People push FAD diets in order to sell books/workouts/nutrition guides(all of which can be found for free on the internet)
    Didn't take you 3 weeks to put on 50+ pounds so it will take longer than 3 weeks to loose that weight

Op you picked a strange way to word this topic, but you do have some valid points in your post.