Why do people criticise clean eaters/healthy lifestyles.

Options

Replies

• mshannond
    mshannond Posts: 60
    Options
    Because there's nothing wrong with gluten unless you have an allergy to it. I eat very healthfully but I'm not gluten free....does that make me a filthy ragamuffin? I also don't have the time or inclination to "juice" so I drink a highly processed, low sodium V8 pretty much every morning...the horror!

soapbox.gif

Nope there isn't however it triggers my ibs. Nothing is wrong with gluten I just can't digest it.
  • mshannond
    Options
    Because after reading your post I'm guessing you think I'm uneducated because I love the crap out of processed food.

FWIW, if you projected a holier than thou attitude at me in real life, i'd probably make fun of you too. :wink:

No. I meant educated as in I'm educated about how to eat in order to deal with my ibs, long term pcos, balance hormones & blood sugar.
  • chrs86
    chrs86 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Can't please everyone; and they're entitled to opinions. Maybe you should try associating with people who don't care to critize you and worry about themselves.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    OP, why does anyone even know how you eat? I eat food around people and they never ask, "what kind of diet do you follow?" Do you know why they don't ask? Because they don't give a crap. The only way people would know if I had certain dietary protocol is if I TOLD them. Stop telling people how "awesome" your personal dietary choices are and they'll stop commenting.

This thread is an excellent example of your perceived persecution. No one knew you were a "clean" eater until you started a thread about it and proclaimed it to the forums.

Additionally, this is one of the few diets where you can say, "I eat clean xx% of the time."

You can't say that if you're vegan, vegetarian, IIFYM, paleo, primal, gluten free, breathtarian, nutrarian and all the other diverse 'arians'. Because once you give a percentage, you're not really a vegan or vegetarian or (insert any other here) dieter anymore.

You eat clean 90% of the time? Okay, so you eat food 100% of the time. Big deal. You're not superior for your wishy washy dietary whims.

e4b1e891-9ccf-4874-88d4-6a142fc8ead5_zps9dc32170.jpg

Why do people assign so much ego to the types of foods they eat?
  • apriltrainer
    apriltrainer Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I think it's mainly because of terms like "jealousy and ignorance" and "can't stick with it." It presumes that people who eat one way are somehow better than people who eat a different way. It's asinine and condescending.

Also it might be because it cannot be clearly and concisely defined. One person's clean eating is another person's reason to look down their noses and say that it isn't clean enough. Says who?

I don't tell other people what to eat, but I think that my athletic performance and body speak just fine for me. I don't label my foods as clean or dirty. I just eat a diet that contains nutritional foods with a good macro balance and good micronutrient content, and I treat myself whenever I want without worrying whether something is "clean."

Why is it self-proclaimed clean eaters start threads to accuse people of criticizing them? Do they want to be criticized? I mean, if you don't start a thread seeking it, it is far less likely to happen. In the real world, stop telling other people how you eat and calling their food dirty and I'm pretty sure they will stop rolling their eyes at you and stop saying "oh, great. Another clean eater."

THIS x 10.

I think my body speaks for itself too and my performance. I never go out of my way to tell people they eat too clean or dirty or whatever the hip word is. If it tastes good and i hit my macros..I'll eat it. Case in point..I went to a place in Chicago called Glazed and Infused and got a bacon doughnut. Eating it while window shopping, someone stopped to tell me, a complete stranger I must add, that it was very unhealthy for me. IT works BOTH ways.
  • Jim_Barteck
    Jim_Barteck Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    They may not be criticizing your clean-eating habits. They just might be criticizing YOU.

QFT
  • Learning2LoveMe64
    Options
    I personally don't care who eats what.... im going to preface this by saying i know not EVERYONE is like this, but...the people i have met that eat "clean" can be fanatical... i have issues with people being fanatical about Anything... If clean eating works for you... awesome..and i mean that... if people give you crap about what you eat, tell them it's none of their business... by the same token, when people preach "clean eating " to me, i tell them my food habits are none of their business... :)
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options
    Probably because, at least on the forums, a good number of (but certainly not all) people who eat this way are know-it-alls...or condescending toward people who find something else that works for them.

This is not the only way to eat. It's not even the only way to eat healthy. I practice moderation-EVERYTHING in moderation. I eat lots of fruits and veggies...I do indulge in alcohol, chocolate, french fries, etc...but consume everything in moderation (as in once every 1-6 months depending on the food).

I don't think there's a right/wrong way to eat. No bad/good foods...some are more healthy, some are less healthy. Am I advocating that the donut diet or the grapefruit diet or eat one giant meal from 5 guys diet? No...I just think eating clean isn't for everybody, but there are definitely those out there who think that it is.
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Educated as in treating my illnesses. I've done the research to help ibs & stop my constant fatigue, and it's helped my skin.
    This point didn't shine through at all as primary reason in your OP, which is why I guess you got so many replies about how people like to be addressed.
  • mshannond
    Options
    I don't. My friends at lunch all eat sandwiches crisps etc and were curious as to why I suddenly changed so much.
    Why are you so quick to judge that I must be flaunting my awesome lifestyle? I don't exactly sit and go 'look kale I'm so clean and healthy'
    No different is saying I eat 90% clean or whole foods to saying that you eat low carb, paleo, vegan etc.
    OP, why does anyone even know how you eat? I eat food around people and they never ask, "what kind of diet do you follow?" Do you know why they don't ask? Because they don't give a crap. The only way people would know if I had certain dietary protocol is if I TOLD them. Stop telling people how "awesome" your personal dietary choices are and they'll stop commenting.

This thread is an excellent example of your perceived persecution. No one knew you were a "clean" eater until you started a thread about it and proclaimed it to the forums.

Additionally, this is one of the few diets where you can say, "I eat clean xx% of the time."

You can't say that if you're vegan, vegetarian, IIFYM, paleo, primal, gluten free, breathtarian, nutrarian and all the other diverse 'arians'. Because once you give a percentage, you're not really a vegan or vegetarian or (insert any other here) dieter anymore.

You eat clean 90% of the time? Okay, so you eat food 100% of the time. Big deal. You're not superior for your wishy washy dietary whims.

• mshannond
    Options
    I realised after, thus why I responded.
    Educated as in treating my illnesses. I've done the research to help ibs & stop my constant fatigue, and it's helped my skin.
    This point didn't shine through at all as primary reason in your OP, which is why I guess you got so many replies about how people like to be addressed.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    I think it's mainly because of terms like "jealousy and ignorance" and "can't stick with it." It presumes that people who eat one way are somehow better than people who eat a different way. It's asinine and condescending.

Also it might be because it cannot be clearly and concisely defined. One person's clean eating is another person's reason to look down their noses and say that it isn't clean enough. Says who?

I don't tell other people what to eat, but I think that my athletic performance and body speak just fine for me. I don't label my foods as clean or dirty. I just eat a diet that contains nutritional foods with a good macro balance and good micronutrient content, and I treat myself whenever I want without worrying whether something is "clean."

Why is it self-proclaimed clean eaters start threads to accuse people of criticizing them? Do they want to be criticized? I mean, if you don't start a thread seeking it, it is far less likely to happen. In the real world, stop telling other people how you eat and calling their food dirty and I'm pretty sure they will stop rolling their eyes at you and stop saying "oh, great. Another clean eater."

agreed
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Because clean eaters tend to like to insinuate that their way is the only way to be healthy and end up sounding extremely pretentious and condescending. They also seem to think (based on discussion threads on this site) that anyone who believes in IIFYM or "everything in moderation" is advocating that everyone should eat nothing but twinkies. Besides that, there's no clear definition of what "clean" eating even means. You can say yogurt isn't clean because it is processed, but some people claim to be clean eaters and eat yogurt.

I don't think there's anything wrong with choosing to eat nothing but whole foods and finding success with it, but don't tell people who drink diet coke that they're "drinking poison" because of some debunked studies you're still clinging to.

And yes, I know not everyone who eats clean is like this, but there are a fair amount of these people on the forums.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    I don't. My friends at lunch all eat sandwiches crisps etc and were curious as to why I suddenly changed so much.
    Why are you so quick to judge that I must be flaunting my awesome lifestyle? I don't exactly sit and go 'look kale I'm so clean and healthy'
    No different is saying I eat 90% clean or whole foods to saying that you eat low carb, paleo, vegan etc.

Friends: Why aren't you eating the same things we are anymore?

You: I felt like eating this.

Friends: Okay.

I have a feeling you didn't handle that conversation in the above manner but instead took the opportunity to wax poetic about the virtues of your new way of life.
  • Beautifulbridgittlee7
    Beautifulbridgittlee7 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I have food sensitivities and I don't care what they think.
  • CleanUpWhatIMessedUp
    CleanUpWhatIMessedUp Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    You get criticized because that's just the way people are. lol. Ask any vegetarian or vegan if they are criticized and they will tell you yes as well. People will criticize you for being different no matter what. Welcome to earth.
  • ge105
    ge105 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Its because people that tell others to "eat clean" often come off as sanctimonious and are usually ambiguous as to what they mean. There is also often no reason to restrict the diet that much for health or weight loss. I personally eat a diet similar to yours but I don't recommend it off the bat. Its what I found makes me feel good and I enjoy my food the way it is but plenty of people feel, do, and preform well on a diet completely different than mine that includes reasonable amounts of pizza, beer, and cupcakes (and these people are happier for it). There is more than one way to skin a cat and the "clean eating" crowd often doesn't accept this; which is why they often get torn down.
  • AnnaVictorya
    Options
    Hmmm, yeah I think a lot of people feel threatened by someone actually having healthy eating habits and so they say that they eat what they want and drink and smoke and never see a doctor and that i will die healthy while they are having all the fun. I normally say that it is the same as their driving without a seat belt and saying they have not died in an accident.

I dont buy any food with ingredients of which I dont know - no Es no artificial stuff no enhancers no flavourants, so ready made stuff, no mayo and no ketchup ( I make my own of tom paste, made own mayo before but alas too fattening lol)

Everything cooked from scratch - fruit veg and whole grains, if I buy meat - i buy cuts and make my own mince, no sweets, chips or anything in a 'packet'. I bake own bread too, when I can make preserves, etc.

I live in my comfort zone, I do things that make me happy, and I wont have some smoker telling me that I am a health freak, just because I eat and cook like my great grandma did.

ETA And NO the food lectures do not come from ME but from those who hate see someone order salad while they have a burger. I had someone of less perfect lifestyle brag how she tricked her vegetarian friend into eating meat. Apparently her friends wanting to live cruelty free did not let her sleep at night, cos SHE did not feel sorry for poor little lambs.

Yes you do get these aggressive junk eaters/smokers/drinkers who will treat you like $£$"&^ cos you dont want to eat takeaways. I respect their choices but they feel free to ridicule mine?
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options

I dont buy any food with ingredients of which I dont know - no Es no artificial stuff no enhancers no flavourants, so ready made stuff, no mayo and no ketchup ( I make my own of tom paste, made own mayo before but alas too fattening lol)

Everything cooked from scratch - fruit veg and whole grains, if I buy meat - i buy cuts and make my own mince, no sweets, chips or anything in a 'packet'. I bake own bread too, when I can make preserves, etc.

My gosh...I'd kill to have that much time on my hands.

tumblr_meq4p4Jfhe1rzp2t8o1_400.gif