Why do people criticise clean eaters/healthy lifestyles.

Options

Replies

• MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options

Whoa whoa, now...two different kinds of fitness here. Cardio vs. strength...you wanna get that started, open a new thread. Not all people are distance runners. I can run. Not my favorite activity (at least not until fall when it's not so humid)...I do pole. I can do things that neither of you could attempt as far as that goes...but I respect both of you in your own right with regards to fitness...you wanna argue about if you're more fit than someone else? Girl...cruisin' for a bruisin'...

That's my point, how is strength training better than clean eating or better or worse than cardio? Just for a laugh...

Pole dancing is cool though.

On much less of a debating/argumentative note, YES, Pole is cool. I hated lifting weights (too boring for me-props to those that stick with it, I wasn't one of them) so I got into pole. I built up my back and arms so much I have real definition...bruises too, but...small sacrifices, you know.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    A lot of criticism and problems from other people about food choices can be avoided. It's very common for people on diets and/or trying to get healthy, is to tell everyone all about it. This unintentionally alienates people a little bit - yep part of that may be due to their own feelings not yours, but often people just get bored of hearing about it. So things like how you say no and how you talk about your food choices in social eating situations can make a big difference to how they're received by others.

The main thing to remember is you don't have to tell them anything about it, or justify your choices to anyone. If you're saying no to something being offered, "no thanks" should be enough. If you say "no thanks I'm on a diet" then that's frequently interpreted as others as "I reeeeeeeeaaallly want one but I have to be on this stinking smelly diet and I hate it and I'm only saying no to "be good" but really I want what you're offering veeeeeery much" - so they try to "liberate" you from that by encouraging you to break your diet with all the "go on, just one won't hurt..." kind of comments. A lot of these are interpreted as deliberate sabotage but they're not most of the time - most people have the idea that a diet is a torturous bad thing that no-one really wants to be inflicted with, and not as a resolution to have a healthier lifestyle where treats are rationed and you're not going to accept every piece of random food that gets offered around the office. So they think they're doing you a favour by trying to encourage you to "break" your diet "every once in a while". Mostly they want you to be happy and don't like the idea of a friend depriving themselves of something that they really want.

Another example - choosing stuff at a restaurant, say you ask the waiter to replace chips/fries with salad and order water to drink.... well if someone else at the table asks why, you can just say "I'm not in the mood for chips and that salad looks delicious" or "I'm driving later" (about having water) something banal like that, you don't need to say "I'm on a diet and I'm trying to make healthy choices/reduce the amount of calories" etc etc - even if that's what you're doing, they don't need to know that. Unfortunately even stuff like this in response to a direct question can be interpreted as you "pushing" your diet on people and they'll respond with criticism.

You don't need to justify your food choices to anyone - okay saying "I don't have to justify my food choices" is pretty confrontational, but it's okay to say stuff like "I just like it" or "I'm not in the mood for that" and you don't need to explain. Those kinds of responses are not confrontational and they're also not inviting people to discuss your diet or choices.

And of course, don't comment on or lecture anyone about their food choices unless they ask for your opinion.

Yes I know that often people's reactions to this comes from their own feelings, e.g. that your choices make them look bad or whatever - but unless you're prepared to get into an actual discussion about that (which is likely to end up making the situation worse), it's better to just give them an answer that doesn't try to explain or justify anything.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I have seen over the years clean eaters get fat. How many people who claim clean eating status also drink alcohol. Since we are all making assumptions, why do the clean eaters either have no avi, an avi with a picture of someone else and/or closed diaries? What are you hiding? Are you not proud to show off what 'clean eating' has done for your appearance.

YUP!! SHOW YOUR AVIS!!!!!

My thing is-- the few clean eating diaries I've seen (they're often closed) mostly look like mine. So when they tell me I'm just jealous and can't stick with it it makes me raise an eyebrow.

FTR If you want to have a closed diary that's your prerogative-- I don't care. Just don't tell me you're eating is healthier than mine if your diary isn't significantly different.
  • AnnaVictorya
    Options
    On much less of a debating/argumentative note, YES, Pole is cool. I hated lifting weights (too boring for me-props to those that stick with it, I wasn't one of them) so I got into pole. I built up my back and arms so much I have real definition...bruises too, but...small sacrifices, you know.

I wonder what the landlord going to say If we install a pole in our house? LOL One day I will give it a go, bruises and all.
  • teabee17587
    Options
    Does being smug burn lots of calories?

loool
  • AnnaVictorya
    Options

Diffference is..i am not preaching my way of eating to distance runners. And neither do I preach about my sport being better than your sport. but if I am going ot have some clean eating person tell me I am unhealthy..you better be ready to prove you can outdo me in my sports..and show your avi. I got tons of me competing. Show your real avi.

But you also should keep your comments about your bacon being better than my salad, just because I dont lift. Same coin, two sides ya' know.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    However I receive so much criticism from normal people on how I eat. I'm boring, obsessive, fussy, extreme & must be on a diet to lose weight.

**** 'em. Do what you want. You're not harming anyone. :)

I sometimes get it especially when I do something like ask how many cals something has.
  • AnnaVictorya
    Options

**** 'em. Do what you want. You're not harming anyone. :)

I sometimes get it especially when I do something like ask how many cals something has.

Talk about weird looks you get! And comments.
  • apriltrainer
    apriltrainer Posts: 732 Member
    Options

Diffference is..i am not preaching my way of eating to distance runners. And neither do I preach about my sport being better than your sport. but if I am going ot have some clean eating person tell me I am unhealthy..you better be ready to prove you can outdo me in my sports..and show your avi. I got tons of me competing. Show your real avi.

But you also should keep your comments about your bacon being better than my salad, just because I dont lift. Same coin, two sides ya' know.

Never said my bacon was better than your salad. Please, please bold any statement that I said about eating bacon being better.

Heck there are times I eat kale salad and love the crap out of it.. and times I need some bacon.

And forget the avi, love your stock photo.

;)
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options

Not read the rest of the thread (10 pages!) but being healthy and being fit are two different things.
  • rutzybabe
    rutzybabe Posts: 8
    Options
    I eat as healthily as possible as it gives me energy, makes me feel good about myself and also that I feel I am achieving something positive for myself. Please take no notice of what people say to you....their habits will impact on them as they age...!!
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options

I wonder what the landlord going to say If we install a pole in our house? LOL One day I will give it a go, bruises and all.

Actually this doesn't require bolts, etc in the house. It's just pressure. So the top and bottom are both pressing into the floor/ceiling. It is movable, etc. But it's not one of those cheap ones you get at Spencer's or adult stores...it's high quality. But it's chrome so it's kind of difficult to stick to. One of these days I'll invest in a brass one. This one works for now.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options

Never said my bacon was better than your salad. Please, please bold any statement that I said about eating bacon being better.

Heck there are times I eat kale salad and love the crap out of it.. and times I need some bacon.

;)

Is there anything wrong with the idea of bacon salad? I mean why does it have to be an either/or choice?
  • AnnaVictorya
    Options

;)

I actually hate kale and I am not a veggie, so I do eat bacon - but on special occasions, not every day. Everything in moderation.

Yep stock it is, wait till i recover from my knee injury then I will have one taken...lol
  • ge105
    ge105 Posts: 268 Member
    Options

;)

Is there anything wrong with the idea of bacon salad? I mean why does it have to be an either/or choice?

2eb435b602943a598d36ec83872ed57b.jpg

couldn't resist
  • apriltrainer
    apriltrainer Posts: 732 Member
    Options

;)

2eb435b602943a598d36ec83872ed57b.jpg

couldn't resist

I would eat the CRAP out of that. Like now..hmm..maybe for lunch.
  • Losing_Sarah
    Losing_Sarah Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    For the same reason that some clean eaters criticize those who are willing to incorporate processed foods into their diet, the same reason some criticize low carb diets, vegetarian, vegan and vice versa.

Because many do not accept there is another way that may or may not be better or worse than their current beliefs.

Thank you!
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    One word ' Pretentious'
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    I think it's mainly because of terms like "jealousy and ignorance" and "can't stick with it." It presumes that people who eat one way are somehow better than people who eat a different way. It's asinine and condescending.

Also it might be because it cannot be clearly and concisely defined. One person's clean eating is another person's reason to look down their noses and say that it isn't clean enough. Says who?

I don't tell other people what to eat, but I think that my athletic performance and body speak just fine for me. I don't label my foods as clean or dirty. I just eat a diet that contains nutritional foods with a good macro balance and good micronutrient content, and I treat myself whenever I want without worrying whether something is "clean."

Why is it self-proclaimed clean eaters start threads to accuse people of criticizing them? Do they want to be criticized? I mean, if you don't start a thread seeking it, it is far less likely to happen. In the real world, stop telling other people how you eat and calling their food dirty and I'm pretty sure they will stop rolling their eyes at you and stop saying "oh, great. Another clean eater."

Amen
  • AnnaVictorya
    Options
    One word ' Pretentious'

Ordering a salad = Pretentious
    Ordering a burger = Normal

Normal beat the hell out the the Pretentious. The end.