Cutting out bread...yay or nay?

So I haven't eaten white bread in around a year as it stands and I just replaced it with granary/wholemeal.

More recently I decided to cut out bread completely, but still eat pasta and potatoes and such. I read that cutting out bread is quite beneficial for loosing weight, but ever since I've cut it out I've felt like I have no energy. I drink plenty of water and all, but I used to eat bread almost every day (toast, sandwiches, toasties) etc.

Strangely, when I have been eating bread I've never had an issue with it 'preventing' me from loosing weight, in fact it never affected me. But since I've cut it, my weight loss is really sluggish and I've only lost 1lb this week...in comparison to 4...3. etc. I have been running for about 2 weeks now, the first week I was eating bread as normal and I felt really good when I ran (not to mention full), but now that I've cut it I feel so demotivated because I feel I don't have enough energy to run. I went to stay with family and would eat toast every day, or a sandwich...and I lost 9lbs in two weeks. Yet having cut bread out and done the same (if not more) exercise and stricter dieting I have only lost 1lb in one week.

Should I resume eating it? Having not eaten it for a week, I have become very tired and I am never full anymore...It makes me want to snack more than I ever have done before.

Advice please?

Replies

• nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Eat the bread.

Unless you have a medical condition, there is no reason to eliminate items from your intake.
  • trublutopaz
    trublutopaz Posts: 70 Member
    Perhaps using whole grain breads rather than refined flour bread products would help. Making bread is also interesting because you can control the grains used and there are few if any preservatives. I try to limit bread intake to once a day. I was always told that fats need to burn in the fire created by carbs. Both as necessary.
  • ChrisM8971
    ChrisM8971 Posts: 1,067 Member
    I eat bread rarely because I felt that I could use my available calories in a more satiating way. However I am starting to add bread back in (had a pitta with my kebab last night) as I approach maintenance because I still want it as part of my diet

One of the things I am really looking forward to is a large chunk of freshly baked white bread slathered in melting butter :smile:
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Pffft I'd be totally eating the bread if I were you. Unfortunately I'm not you and I can't eat wheat due to my autoimmune issues, but if I could eat it without feeling like complete crap and having to go back on my medications I'd take full advantage of that and eat me a big ole sammich!
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Bread is a carb. If you've cut it out and feel sluggish, you may have stumbled upon why. I know my own energy levels and gym performance (which will, incidentally, carry over into calorie burn because of the increased movement that comes with having energy) vary greatly depending on carb intake. There's a balance there of enough carbs, but not so so many carbs that your calorie count prevents weight loss, that you need to find.
  • slimbettie
    slimbettie Posts: 686 Member
    Love my bread. I say eat it. There is no medical reason why you shouldn't. So go for it!
  • TopazCutie
    TopazCutie Posts: 386 Member
    If it's helping you, who not. Personally I try to limit it. But if it's making you feel so bad then just keep having it. Maybe try switching to brown bread for more fibre.
  • There are so many rediculous things that you can read in magazines and books about dieting. Since I started mfp I have saved so much money because I don't buy magazines at the check-out stand. I have also reached my goal weight, and I don't think I could have without my daily bread and peanut butter:)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    I like bread...I eat less of it than I used to for the simple fact that it is calorie dense and doesn't have a whole lot to offer. I do like a good sandwich though and I grill up burgers about once per week and they're awesome with a good, toasted chabata roll.

There's nothing wrong with bread....
  • jjdiggy
    jjdiggy Posts: 172
    I just had two slices and dang it tasted so good. Felt like a relief to have it! No regrets
  • Eat it if you want. If you want to replace it with more nutritionally dense food, that's honestly better. Nutritionally dense food is always > than less nutritionally dense food regardless of what the healthy eating counter culture says.

That being said, it won't hurt your weight loss and if you feel (true or not) that you performed better while eating it, then eat up.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Bread is a carb. If you've cut it out and feel sluggish, you may have stumbled upon why. I know my own energy levels and gym performance (which will, incidentally, carry over into calorie burn because of the increased movement that comes with having energy) vary greatly depending on carb intake. There's a balance there of enough carbs, but not so so many carbs that your calorie count prevents weight loss, that you need to find.

Yup.

I did an elimination diet for a few weeks and my energy seriously suffered at first because I wasn't replacing the carbs. Personally I love bread and eat it in moderation-- as long as I've hit my protein and fat goes I eat the bread and don't worry about it.
  • Yay, it's terrible for you and super high on the glycemic index making you feel sluggish and hungry after a while after eating it, whole grain is the way to go! I love Ezekial bread! Which is sprouted making it better!
  • BeardedYoung
    BeardedYoung Posts: 229 Member
    scared me.... I misread the topic.
  • sanndandi
    sanndandi Posts: 300 Member
    If you really want to lose weight, don't eat any refined carbs - breads, pasta and white rice, and don't eat any sugar - including all fruit juices, and yogurt with the fruity gunk on the bottom.

Have eggs and cheese for breakfast (and a slice of bacon won't kill you), or Greek yogurt and add the berries (but not too many). The rest of the day eat fish, poultry, red meat, avocados and all vegetables. Eat nuts (not peanuts) and sunflower seeds instead of chips, pretzels and all that other garbage for snacks.

Avoid alcohol.

You can eat fast food, but throw out the bun and don't order French fries.

The weight will melt off you whether you exercise or not. And stop counting calories.

Get a scale. Weigh yourself everyday.

Once you hit your ideal weight, eat whatever you want, but keep weighing yourself. If you gain a few pounds, go back to what I told you to do and get back to that ideal weight.

Good luck.
    no
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    I'm a white bread kind of girl. I eat it nearly everyday, and have lost all the weight I had to lose. If you love something, and it isn't hurting you....
  • juditdell
    juditdell Posts: 32
    If you really want to lose weight, don't eat any refined carbs - breads, pasta and white rice, and don't eat any sugar - including all fruit juices, and yogurt with the fruity gunk on the bottom.

Have eggs and cheese for breakfast (and a slice of bacon won't kill you), or Greek yogurt and add the berries (but not too many). The rest of the day eat fish, poultry, red meat, avocados and all vegetables. Eat nuts (not peanuts) and sunflower seeds instead of chips, pretzels and all that other garbage for snacks.

Avoid alcohol.

You can eat fast food, but throw out the bun and don't order French fries.

The weight will melt off you whether you exercise or not. And stop counting calories.

Get a scale. Weigh yourself everyday.

Once you hit your ideal weight, eat whatever you want, but keep weighing yourself. If you gain a few pounds, go back to what I told you to do and get back to that ideal weight.

Good luck.
    no

yes

This is totally the opposite of what MFP is all about.
    Yes we need to eat healthy but we can absolutely have pasta and bread and yogurt and fruit juice and still lose weight

I'm glad you ate your bread;)