Fat vs muscle for dummies

Options

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Yup. People are right. These forums are full of condescending people. And I'm not talking about the OP. I'm talking about majority of the people who replied. Yes, she's 22 years old. So what? I think that one hits a nerve because I'm young myself. Too long for you to read? No one forced you to. I find those tl;dr comments rude. If it was too long then close the page and move on. Why take the time to respond complaining about how long it is? Yes, she's been here for 2 days, if what someone posted above was correct. So what? I didn't know experience on MFP directly correlated to knowledge on weight loss.

Just cause all of you are already aware of what she's talking about doesn't mean everyone is. I knew as well but someone else might not. This post might be extremely helpful for someone new. So if it doesn't apply to you, don't knock her. Move on. I'd understand the harsh reactions if she was peddling myths. But old people bullying a 22 year old from behind a computer screen is just so sad.

Old people? lol. With that attitude no wonder you had no issues with the OP calling people on here uneducated.

She did a copy pasta of an article..fine. I doubt that she would have got the same response if she did not make the absolutely charming introductory paragraph.

I would also look up the term condescending and seriously think about how that does not apply to the OPs first paragraph - it reeks of it.
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    Options
    I keep hearing uneducated people saying that fat doesn't weigh more than muscle. If you have 1 lb of fat and 1 lb of muscles, they weigh 1 lb. :huh:(Don't pretend you don't say it, I see people jumping down people's throats on MFP simply because they are too uneducated to comprehend something this simple, thus proving how uneducated they are) I know this is difficult for many of you to grasp. Here is an article that demonstrates it and explains it so those people can finally get it:) I honestly think that some are so dense, nothing will help them overcome their learning disabilities :sad: Look at the photo for those of you that can't read more than a sentence at a time:laugh:

2013 by BAMBOO CORE FITNESS in FITNESS, HEALTH AND WELLNESS, LIFESTYLE, NUTRITION111
    how_it_works_muscle_fat
    Debunking the myth

Have you ever heard the saying, “Muscle weighs more than fat?” Perhaps at some point in your life you were working your butt off in the gym in an attempt to lose weight. During this time, you hopped onto the scale weekly, sometimes even daily. Some days were better than others. Sometimes the numbers on the scale decreased, but to your dismay, this wasn’t always the case. Some weigh-ins showed that the scale read higher than your starting weight. Other days the scale wouldn’t budge. This would depress and sadden you. To soothe your worries and soften the blow of the scale, perhaps a family member, friend, personal trainer, or doctor told you that you shouldn’t freak out because the scale is showing that there has been a gain in muscle and that “muscle weighs more than fat.” Maybe you relaxed after hearing this. Maybe you were skeptical of this comment.

In the fitness world, the statement, “muscle weighs more than fat” is habitually tossed back and forth. In the context of fitness and recording body weight numbers on scales, the statement “muscle weighs more than fat” does not hold much weight. It just does not make sense because one pound is one pound.

The truth is that when placed on a scale, one pound of fat is going to weigh the same as one pound of muscle – just like one pound of bricks is going to weigh the same as one pound of feathers. Where the confusion comes in is that muscle and fat differ in density (muscle is about 18% more dense than fat) and one pound of muscle occupies less space (volume) than one pound of fat.

So yes, muscle seems to weigh more because there is a difference in the volume between the two. When a cubic inch of muscle and a cubic inch of fat are measured, the cubic inch of muscle will weigh more. As you add compact muscle mass to the body, body weight may increase. However, pound for pound, muscle and fat weigh the same and when tracking progress of a fitness program, it is very important to look at all markers of improvement, and not just the numbers on the scale.

Cross section across skeletal muscle = more dense

Cross section across fat tissue = less dense

Five pounds of muscle compared to five pounds of fat

By looking at the photo below, you can see that five pounds of muscle (pictured on right) is going to take up less space in the body and be a lot less “lumpy” under your skin and in between your organs than the same weight in fat (shown on left). In fact, the difference can be quite dramatic. I would much rather have five pounds of smooth, lean, dense muscle tissue inside of my body than five pounds of amorphous, bulky, gelatinous fat, and I am guessing you would too! Besides being more compact in the body, there are also many health advantages to increased muscle mass.

Benefits of having more lean muscle mass
    Having more muscle mass in your body will:

Create a leaner physique
    Reduce your risk of injury
    Increase strength, stability, power and endurance
    Improve balance and mobility
    Improve the way you feel about yourself
    Increase energy and vitality
    Improve athletic performance
    Create metabolic reserve in times of traumas such as (car accidents and burns)
    Increase your metabolic efficiency
    Improve insulin sensitivity and improve blood glucose control
    These are just some of the many advantages of having more lean muscle mass. Let’s focus on the last two benefits listed: “Increase your metabolic efficiency” and “Improve insulin sensitivity and improve glucose control.”

Increase your metabolic efficiency

Each pound of fat that your body stores represents 3,500 calories of unused energy. In order to lose one pound, you have to create a calorie deficit of 3,500 calories by either consuming 3,500 less calories over a period of time than your body needs or by doing 3,500 calories worth of exercise.

By increasing your lean muscle mass through resistance and body weight training, you will help your body burn more calories. One pound of muscle will burn slightly more calories at rest than one pound of fat tissue at rest.

Focus on all of the health benefits of having more muscle mass, not just on the calorie burning abilities of muscle

Health and fitness professionals across the world put a lot of emphasis on the “muscle is a high-octane calorie incinerator” concept and even exaggerate (sometimes unknowingly) the actual amount of calories muscles burn while at rest. Fitness magazines, health experts like Dr. Mehmet Oz, and personal trainers across the country happily report that one pound of muscle burns an extra 50-100 calories per day than fat. However, recent scientific research has proven this number to be inflated. One such study was led by Claude Bouchard, an obesity researcher from the Pennington Biomedical Research Center in Baton Rouge, LA. His collected data over the years has revealed that one pound of muscle, at rest, burns about six calories a day while one pound of fat burns about two calories per day. Six is a lot different than the 50-100 calories that is often stated by others in the health and medical fields.

As a fitness professional, I do not like to over-emphasize the point that muscle tissue burns more calories than fat. I feel it is an important fact to know, and can be used as a motivator when getting started with a fitness program, but I do not think it should be the primary driving force behind gaining muscle mass. Yes, muscle is three times (not 50 times) more metabolically active at rest than fat, but the actual amount of calories that is burned is not a grand amount. Granted, at the end of the day, any extra calories burned is a great thing, and when you eat healthfully (and mindfully) and engage in a proper resistance training program, you will increase the amount of muscle in your body. The more muscle you have, the more calories you will burn while at rest and this is exciting. However, it is pertinent for individuals not to become too crazed (or comfortable) with the notion that their resting metabolisms (rate at which one burns calories while at rest) are going to skyrocket once they begin weight lifting and gaining muscle. I have seen that often, when an individual puts too much focus on the calorie burning capabilities of muscle, it becomes very easy for that person to become:

Relaxed about what needs to be done to get the results wanted and in return, becomes sedentary and may even neglect sound nutritional habits by overeating. If muscle is burning calories at rest, then there is room for overconsumption and inactivity, right? Wrong.
    or:

Overly obsessed with calorie burning through long bouts of cardio, weight training sessions and starvation. The main focus becomes all about decreasing fat, increasing muscle, and expanding the amount of calories muscle will burn at rest. With this extreme approach, overtraining and poor health are often results. More is better, right? Wrong.
    The above behaviors are unhealthy, unbalanced, and unsustainable. I want people to get away from calorie obsession and start training with a balanced approach and with common sense. It is important to look at all of the health benefits of muscle mass, not just one. In my opinion, knowing that muscle can help balance insulin sensitivity and blood glucose levels within the body is of greater interest than one pound of muscle burning an extra four calories more than one pound of fat. When the body’s endocrine system is working properly, it is much easier to maintain a healthy weight. When insulin sensitivity and glucose management is screwed up, weight management (and loss) becomes a very difficult task. Combine healthy insulin and glucose control with an increased resting metabolic rate (RMR), and you have a win-win situation.

Improve insulin sensitivity and better glucose control

In 2011, researchers reported in the Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism that muscle mass strongly correlates with improved insulin sensitivity within the body. It has been noted that with a 10% increase in skeletal muscle index (a measure of how much muscle is on the body), HOMA-IR (a measure of insulin resistance) saw a relative reduction of 11%. People with a higher insulin sensitivity have better glucose control and ultimately, lower rates of diabetes. This is great stuff because when a person is insulin sensitive, he/she can handle glucose well, which means less dietary glucose will turn into body fat and less insulin is necessary to keep body systems operating optimally. The result? A healthy functioning of the body’s systems. This will create balance within the body as well as long-term and even permanent results, especially when it comes to battling the bulge.

Are you setting yourself up for failure? Step away from the body weight scale

While participating in a “weight loss” program, solely depending on a standard body weight scale to track your progress can cause frustration and may even set you up for failure. Although you have been busting your buns in the gym and eating healthy foods, the scale may still display your weight as being the same as when you started, even after a few weeks of exercising. This can create extreme disappointment and ultimately cause you to quit your program.

I can confidently assume that many of you reading this article know exactly what I am talking about. We have all been there at some point. It is that all too familiar feeling of anticipation you experience while you are standing on top of the scale, looking down, waiting to see what the wonderful magical number will read, anxious for it to be lower than the last time you stood in the very same position. The number flashes in front of your eyes, it reads the same, as if the scale was frozen in time. You shake the scale, reset it, step on and do the whole process over, only to find the end result is the same. The number has not shifted, not even a fraction of a pound. If you are experiencing this type of despair, I suggest that you step far away from the scale (put the scale out of sight) and shake off the dissatisfaction you are feeling and think for a minute. Assess all that you have been doing and consider all of the other methods you have used and should be using to track your weight loss journey and progress. Have you used other markers to track your progress?

The scale does not represent everything that is happening within the body

When the number on the scale does not budge, it is important to remind yourself that the scale only shows you a snippet of what is happening. It is only expressing your total body weight – which includes fat, muscle, bones, organs, skin, etc. and not the composition of that weight within your body.

Your total body weight represented on the scale may be the same as when you started your weight loss program, BUT if you are building muscle mass and losing fat tissue, your body composition will be much different. Remember, as mentioned before, muscle and fat differ in density. One pound of muscle is going to occupy less space (volume) within the body than one pound of fat. When you have more muscle and less fat, you become more firm and will lose inches from places such as your waist, hips, buttocks, thighs, etc. Seeing the same number on the scale is not always negative. Again, we need to set our minds on other indicators of health and wellness.

Cross section of a skeletal muscle (200x) showing the muscle fibers (red) and the fat cells (white)

Focus less on the body weight scale readings and use other methods to track progress

When you become less obsessed with scale readings and more focused on what truly matters with your program, success will follow. This is why it is important to use more than one method to track your progress. Some of these methods include circumference/girth measurements, the old-fashioned “how-do-your-clothes-fit-and-feel method,” and body composition testing. When you put all of these assessments together, you will create an accurate picture of what is truly happening within the body. By using this data, you will be able to distinguish whether or not you are on the right track with your health and fitness training programs. Body composition testing is a great assessment tool to use when embarking on a fitness program.

What is body composition?

Body composition is the term used to describe the different components that, when taken together, make up a person’s body weight. The human body is composed of a variety of different tissue types including lean tissues (muscle, bone, and organs) that are metabolically active, and fat (adipose) tissue that is not.

When you determine your overall body fat percentage (through hydrostatic weighing, skinfold caliper measurements and/or bioelectrical impedance), you will get an accurate sense of how much of your body is made up of fat and how much is made up of lean muscle mass. Girth and body composition measurements are important when tracking a fitness program where “weight loss” and improved health is the main goal. When the body has a greater percentage of fat compared to lean muscle mass, the body will appear heavier than when that number is lower. High body fat percentages mean heightened risk for diabetes, cardiovascular disease, and high blood pressure.

Visual representation of what various body fat percentages look like

As you can see from the diagram above, if we put a physically active 160 pound woman with a 25% body fat next to another 160 pound woman who is inactive and has a 45% body fat, we will visually see differences. The woman with the 25% body fat will most likely look more fit, have more muscle tissue, and because of this, will need more calories to keep all of the systems in her body running efficiently. The more muscle mass will cause her to burn a tad more calories than her 45% body fat counterpart, even when she is at rest. The leaner woman may even be able to eat slightly more calories a day and still maintain her body weight as compared to the woman with more fat tissue, while the woman with the higher body fat percentage would gain weight if she consume more calories.

Take away body fat and add muscle

Just think about it – if your weight stayed exactly the same (according to a standard body weight scale) and we theoretically took off 5 pounds of fat from you and replaced it with five pounds of muscle, you will weigh exactly the same, but because muscle is more dense than fat, the five pounds of muscle will take up less volume and you will appear slightly leaner, thinner, and/or more toned. Although the number on the scale did not lower, you are certainly more healthy, fit, and are on the right track with your “weight loss” program. Sometimes it helps to see a visual of this concept. Below, I provide you with just that, a visual representation of how one body can stay the same weight, but look noticeably different.

Let us compare

Below are visual examples of how the same person can look different even when she (or he) weighs the same amount. The two before and after photos are of different people who have changed their physiques by working out and eating healthfully. By increasing muscle and lowering their total body fat percentages, they both have been able to alter the way their figures look and feel. Their weights stayed the same. See for yourself by looking at these before and after photos:

Before and after photo #1:

This woman stayed the same scale weight (160 lb.), but noticeably altered her physique by lowering her percent body fat:

Before and after photo #2:

This woman stayed the same scale weight (160 lb.), but noticeably altered her physique by lowering her percent body fat and losing 4.5 inches from her body.

Water balance and weight fluctuations

Another important thing to factor when tracking weight loss is that the human body can naturally change several pounds a day in scale weight from water balance alone. This is not fat or muscle weight. If you choose to micro-manage your weight by weighing yourself frequently (several times per week), you may see fluctuations that have nothing to do with changes in fat and/or muscle. Weigh yourself before going to bed, and then weigh yourself in the morning when you wake up. You may see a 2-5 pound difference and this is completely normal.

Always use several assessment tools to track your progress

I cannot stress this enough. The most accurate way to assess your health and fitness progress is to use a wide variety of body measurements and health markers. The more, the better. It is silly to only rely on a body weight scale. The number on a scale conceals the truth of what is happening within the body. To get a correct picture of your progress, you must use several different methods of collecting health and fitness data.

Before you get started with a program, gather as much baseline information as possible. This includes circumference and percent body fat measurements, strength and flexibility assessments, blood pressure, and a body weight scale reading. If possible, gather recent health data (blood lipid profile) from your physician and put it with your assessment paperwork. One of the best things you can do is to take a picture of yourself. This may be one of the hardest things to accomplish before starting a weight loss program, but it can be one of the most rewarding (down the road, of course). Be sure to take photos of your body from all angles. This will allow you to see your transformation and results clearly. Create a journal to record your journey. Before you begin, take notes on how you feel emotionally and physically. Write down how your clothes feel and fit. As the weeks pass by, write down anything else that comes to mind. Write about your stress levels, your sleep patterns, etc. Use it as a fitness resource to record your workouts and use it nutritionally as a food log.

Enjoy the process – do not perform assessments daily or weekly

It is important not to repeat assessments on a daily or weekly basis. While your program is underway, let yourself walk away from the dizziness of comparative measurements. Look at your new program as a chance to be mindful of what you are actually doing. When we obsess over measurements and numbers, our vision can become cloudy and muddled by criticism, disappointment, expectation, etc. As humans, we are very competitive and hard on ourselves. Often, the emotional challenge of getting through a fitness and lifestyle program is the most difficult. Why put extra pressure on yourself by measuring, weighing, and negatively critiquing your progress?

Enjoy the process as much as possible, and do not sabotage yourself by hopping on a scale every day or every week. This will take a lot of willpower, but once you are able to step away from constant measurements, you will free yourself from the number game, and this will allow you to experience that the program you are doing is about a lot more than just weight loss. Your program may start off labeled as a “weight loss” plan, but for it to be successful in the long-term, it needs to become a “lifestyle” plan, one where you adopt healthy and realistic habits that will stay with you long after you reach your initial fitness and wellness goals. Instead of focusing on the scale number, direct attention to how your energy levels are, how your clothes are fitting, how you are sleeping, and how you are looking during the program.

Perform a second round of assessments and measurements 6-8 weeks after your first recordings. Compare these results with the benchmarks recorded on day one. If you are patient and diligent with your new program, your results will show you that all of your hard work is paying off. Seeing changes in your measurements for the better is very encouraging and may be just what you need to propel you through to the next phase of your lifestyle program.

Want to increase muscle mass?

Eat real, clean foods, train smartly and efficiently (ditch the chronic cardio), keep cortisol levels low, sleep and rest when needed, practice improving natural movement skills, be diligent about working on your flexibility/mobility, and remember to lift heavy things. Proper nutrition and mindful lifestyle habits are huge components to gaining muscle mass. Resistance training is also a potent stimulant of testosterone production, an important factor that favorably effects protein synthesis and muscle hypertrophy within the body. Lift heavy things every now and again to promote the production of this hormone. Strive for balance when it comes to implementing a new weight training and nutrition program. Enlist in the assistance of a fitness and nutrition professional whenever you have uncertainty on how to put a complete program together. Do not be afraid to ask for help.

Stay motivated, get your own pet fat replica

A great way to guarantee success is to find ways to stay motivated during your program. Motivation may come from working with a personal trainer, telling a friend about your goals, and/or creating a fitness a nutrition vision board. Sometimes it even helps to stay visually motivated by having your very own pet fat. Yes, you read that correctly, you can adopt your own pet fat by visiting MyPetFat.com.

My pet fat

This jiggly replica of one pound of fat has the power to keep you on track with your health and fitness goals. I have known people to put this little guy inside their refrigerator, in their pantry, on their desk, and in their purse. It provides a constant reminder of what one pound, 3,500 calories of unused energy, looks like within your body. When a client comes to me disappointed that they have only lost one or two pounds of fat, I have them put the fat replica in their hand (same one as in the photo on the left) for a visual representation of what they just removed from their body. Seeing how much space one pound of fat takes up can be quite motivating. If adopting a pet fat is not an option for you right now, feel free to stop by my fitness studio to see my pet fat for a friendly reminder of how gross one pound of fat looks like. :)

Conclusion

Remember, a pound is a pound. One pound of fat is going to weigh the same as one pound of muscle and one pound of muscle occupies less space (volume) within the body than one pound of fat. The several benefits of muscle mass (such as improved insulin sensitivity and increased metabolic efficiency) make it worth one’s while to implement a strength training program that will build muscle within the body (and lose fat). When participating in a program, do not set yourself up for failure by using a body weight scale as the only method to track your progress. Collect as much assessment data as possible and do not let yourself obsess over numbers, whether they be in the form of calories or body weight.

Get help when needed, whether it be from a fitness/health professional, like myself, or a motivating friend. Proper nutrition and mindful lifestyle habits will be integral when it comes to gaining muscle mass and improving body composition. Embrace your experience and learn from your accomplishments and failures. Remember, to achieve long term results, it is important to approach a new program realistically and with a positive attitude. After all, you are making a lifestyle change, not just a “weight loss” change.

I want to hear from you

What are your thoughts on this subject? The scale numbers bring a lot of us down, sometimes to the point that it paralyzes us from moving forward with our fitness programs. How do you not let the readings on the scale stop you in your tracks? What helps you stay focused when it comes to a fitness regimen? Please share your experiences by leaving a comment below. I would love to hear your thoughts!

Wishing you health and happiness,

- Jennifer M. Regan, MovNat MCT, C.H.E.K HLC, NASM-CPT

References:

Hitt, Emma. “Muscle Mass Linked to Risk for Insulin Resistance.” Medscape Medical News. Web. http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/747526 Aug 04, 2011
    Fell, James. “The Myth of Ripped Muscles and Calorie Burns.” Los Angeles Times. May 11, 2011. Web. http://articles.latimes.com/2011/may/16/health/la-he-fitness-muscle-myth-20110516
    Sisson, Mike. “How Many Calories Does Muscle Really Burn? (and Why It’s Not About Calories Anyway)”. Mark’s Daily Apple. The Blog Studio. Web. Aug. 10, 2012.
    Srikanthan P, Hevener AL, Karlamangla AS (2010) “Sarcopenia Exacerbates Obesity-Associated Insulin Resistance and Dysglycemia: Findings from the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey III.” PLoS ONE 5(5): e10805. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0010805 http://www.plosone.org/article/info:doi/10.1371/journal.pone.0010805
    Srikanthan P, Hevener AL, Karlamangla AS. “Relative Muscle Mass Is Inversely Associated with Insulin Resistance and Prediabetes.” Findings from The Third National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey JCEM jc.2011-0435; doi:10.1210 Web 2011.

- Jennifer M. Regan, MovNat MCT, C.H.E.K HLC, NASM-CPT
    © Jennifer Regan and Bamboo Core Fitness, 2014. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this blog’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Jennifer Regan and Bamboo Core Fitness with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.

Related
    Break Away From the Scale
    Break Away From the Scale
    In "Fitness"
    Q&A:
    Q&A: "Why is resistance training important for long-term weight loss?"
    In "Fitness"
    The Transverse Abdominis - The Spanx of Your Abdominal Muscles
    The Transverse Abdominis - The Spanx of Your Abdominal Muscles
    In "Fitness"

I enjoyed reading through this over orange ginger root tea this AM. Thank you for taking the time to share what you'd read. Unlike some posters, I interpreted your choice of using the word "Dummies" as your attempt to equate it to the "Dummies series of instructional reference/educational books. *shrugs*

** quoted for my feed/page
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I keep hearing uneducated people saying that fat doesn't weigh more than muscle. If you have 1 lb of fat and 1 lb of muscles, they weigh 1 lb. :huh:(Don't pretend you don't say it, I see people jumping down people's throats on MFP simply because they are too uneducated to comprehend something this simple, thus proving how uneducated they are) I know this is difficult for many of you to grasp. Here is an article that demonstrates it and explains it so those people can finally get it:) I honestly think that some are so dense, nothing will help them overcome their learning disabilities :sad: Look at the photo for those of you that can't read more than a sentence at a time:laugh:

I enjoyed reading through this over orange ginger root tea this AM. Thank you for taking the time to share what you'd read. Unlike some posters, I interpreted your choice of using the word "Dummies" as your attempt to equate it to the "Dummies series of instructional reference/educational books. *shrugs*

I snipped away all the copy-pasted stuff and left OP's own contribution intact. I'm a fairly tolerant person and often do I succeed at placing myself in the shoes of others. I also practice compassion daily, but the first quote doesn't ring a single bell of kindness in my opinion; I fail to see where the Dummies vibe is to be read.
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    Holy cow! I stopped reading when the OP said people were too dumb and couldn't comprehend simple things.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

No-one here even mentioned the title - that was not what people had an issue with.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    It's obvious people mean "...by volume" when they say muscle weighs more than fat.

A lot of things are assumed when we make such statements. For instance, for the above, we assume not only "...by volume", but also: "both masses travelling non-relativistically", "both masses in identically curved space time".

But what do I know, I'm probably too old... :laugh:
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    <<<<can make a nine layer density column in a graduated cylinder and accurately predict the layer a solid object will descend to using only the powers of my brain!

tumblr_n85kculCP01t4o62mo1_250.gif

but guess I'm just and unedumicated dummy cause Op says so. :sad:
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    <<<<can make a nine layer density column in a graduated cylinder and accurately predict the layer a solid object will descend to using only the powers of my brain!

I have no idea what you just said...but it was hot!
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    My students loved this when I was teaching physical science:
    b1bcc38d9304212a9fbcc052f8cf7b84878c318b.jpg
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

That is so cool!

ETA: and now I now what you are talking about. Still hot though.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    I just read the first paragraph...

what did I just read?!
  • KseRz
    KseRz Posts: 980 Member
    Options

52989798.jpg
  • kwabman
    kwabman Posts: 2
    Options
    I have never heard someone say "1 lbs of muscle weights more than 1 lbs of fat". That has never been said around me. The only implication (which according to physics) is true is that 1 lbs of fat is less dense therefor larger in size than 1 lbs of muscle. Muscle is more dense, and is heavier. Filling a bag with 100 lbs of feathers would make a massive sized bag. But filling it to 100 lbs in bowling balls would make a relatively small bag. That is an easy concept for you to understand I hope.
    Weight is weight and 1 lbs is 1 lbs, but if you have a standard 150 pound frame, and you add 20 lbs of muscle, you will look much more lean than if you add 20 lbs of fat. That is simply true.
  • Jim_Barteck
    Jim_Barteck Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I really get tired of people quibbling - not just here, but anywhere the topic comes up - about the "muscle weighs more than fat" discussion.

Yes. Every person on the planet knows that 1 pound = 1 pound.

Anyone not trying to be a pedantic jerk understands that when people say "muscle weighs more than fat" what they're saying is "[an equivalent volume of] muscle weighs more than fat."

When people say "granite weighs more than feathers," does any normal, sane human being respond with "Nuh, uh. A pound of granite weighs the same as a pound of feathers. You're stupid!"? No. They do not. They understand the concept being conveyed: that if you have the same amount of each, granite is going to be a lot heavier than feathers. Your inability to understand inference and common sense is the only issue here. Go back to Reading Comprehension 101. Everybody else understood what they meant. YOU are the problem.

So why do *kitten* feel the need to go through this same song and dance every time the subject comes up? Because they think it makes them look smarter or more knowledgeable. If this is you, grab a ticket and hop aboard the clue train: IT DOESN'T. IT MAKES YOU LOOK LIKE A SELF-SERVING, KNOW-IT-ALL JERK.

Get over yourselves. Enough already with the semantic games. Nobody is impressed.

And for OP? Enough with the copy pasta. Post a link if you think it's a good article. Meanwhile, yes. The content of this post refers to you.
  • kwabman
    kwabman Posts: 2
    Options
    Haha old people? Ok... Apparently you did not read the post or do not comprehend it. The 22 year old was bullying everyone else and hurling insults right off the bat... They were not just being kind and informative. Also the whole concept was incorrect. As many have said, the muscle/fat remarks refer to density. Many articles are written like this to draw attention to whatever site it comes from but does not actually change anything that anyone thought before. It was a ridiculous post done in an arrogant and unnecessary way.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    I really get tired of people quibbling - not just here, but anywhere the topic comes up - about the "muscle weighs more than fat" discussion.

Yes. Every person on the planet knows that 1 pound = 1 pound.

Anyone not trying to be a pedantic jerk understands that when people say "muscle weighs more than fat" what they're saying is "[an equivalent volume of] muscle weighs more than fat."

When people say "granite weighs more than feathers," does any normal, sane human being respond with "Nuh, uh. A pound of granite weighs the same as a pound of feathers. You're stupid!"? No. They do not. They understand the concept being conveyed: that if you have the same amount of each, granite is going to be a lot heavier than feathers. Your inability to understand inference and common sense is the only issue here. Go back to Reading Comprehension 101. Everybody else understood what they meant. YOU are the problem.

So why do *kitten* feel the need to go through this same song and dance every time the subject comes up? Because they think it makes them look smarter or more knowledgeable. If this is you, grab a ticket and hop aboard the clue train: IT DOESN'T. IT MAKES YOU LOOK LIKE A SELF-SERVING, KNOW-IT-ALL JERK.

Get over yourselves. Enough already with the semantic games. Nobody is impressed.

And for OP? Enough with the copy pasta. Post a link if you think it's a good article. Meanwhile, yes. The content of this post refers to you.
    +1
  • iefk5el
    iefk5el Posts: 2
    Options
    Thanks a lot for that information.
  • LiminalAscendance
    LiminalAscendance Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Yup. People are right. These forums are full of condescending people. And I'm not talking about the OP. I'm talking about majority of the people who replied. Yes, she's 22 years old. So what? I think that one hits a nerve because I'm young myself. Too long for you to read? No one forced you to. I find those tl;dr comments rude. If it was too long then close the page and move on. Why take the time to respond complaining about how long it is? Yes, she's been here for 2 days, if what someone posted above was correct. So what? I didn't know experience on MFP directly correlated to knowledge on weight loss.

Just cause all of you are already aware of what she's talking about doesn't mean everyone is. I knew as well but someone else might not. This post might be extremely helpful for someone new. So if it doesn't apply to you, don't knock her. Move on. I'd understand the harsh reactions if she was peddling myths. But old people bullying a 22 year old from behind a computer screen is just so sad.

wow...I feel like I am in a room with my son aka man child tell me how it is and how I should behave and what I should and shouldn't do...*shakes head*

Why is it that some...note some young people just don't get it????? holy moly..

ETA: FYI "old" people usually "school" or as you call it "bully" young people to ensure that this type of attitude doesn't get them fired from jobs that they need or get them punched in the face...trust me on that...thinking you "Know it all" doesn't get you far in real life and apparently on forums as well.

to the OP TL;DR but already knew the fat vs muscle thing...but really why post? to early in the morning for this stuff not enough coffee yet....

Yeah, because I'm sure the actions of everyone here (even the "old" people) reflects how they act at their jobs.

Must be a lot of cat posters at those jobs.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    didnt-read-lol-chicken-gif.gif
  • Krikit34
    Krikit34 Posts: 125 Member
    Options

I've done some of those layers demonstrating density for my 5th graders. Thanks for the post! This is going to make it go from cool to AWESOME!!!