Why do people criticise clean eaters/healthy lifestyles.

Options

Replies

• wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,779 Member
    Options
    I've read half of this thread and just surprised that you guys have so many people comment on what they eat. In the past 5 years, I could probably count on one hand the number of times people have asked me why I am eating something. My friends don't care. My co-workers don't care. My family doesn't care. This whole "people making unsolicited comments" is completely foreign to me.
  • Ehecatl915
    Ehecatl915 Posts: 30
    Options
    I get frustrated with ignorant people so I just don't say anything to too many people. I just tell them I have food allergies, which I do have some. But I choose to eat the way I do. Non GMO and organic, I don't eat refined foods, processed foods, I cut out the rice and potatoes for awhile and I basically live on fruit and veggies, no refined sugar, only what I get from fruit. I eat turkey and chicken, and I feel a lot better, it has helped with my fibromyalgia and I am losing weight too. Each person has to do what is best for themselves. I refuse to eat poison, some people don't care and like to eat fast foods and refined garbage, that's their choice. To each their own.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    I've read half of this thread and just surprised that you guys have so many people comment on what they eat. In the past 5 years, I could probably count on one hand the number of times people have asked me why I am eating something. My friends don't care. My co-workers don't care. My family doesn't care. This whole "people making unsolicited comments" is completely foreign to me.

^^This. I must live in a very special place, since I'm fairly certain I could eat live mice in the cafeteria of my campus without anybody noticing or caring. Perhaps someone has already done this. I don't know--I don't watch what others are eating, and I've never gotten a single comment on my dinners, either.
  • Atrocity108
    Atrocity108 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Yeah, today in my lunch room, I was told I was always eating Rabbit Food. At the time, I was eating Salmon. Im pretty sure the Rabbit isnt a natural predator of the Salmon.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    I get frustrated with ignorant people so I just don't say anything to too many people. I just tell them I have food allergies, which I do have some. But I choose to eat the way I do. Non GMO and organic, I don't eat refined foods, processed foods, I cut out the rice and potatoes for awhile and I basically live on fruit and veggies, no refined sugar, only what I get from fruit. I eat turkey and chicken, and I feel a lot better, it has helped with my fibromyalgia and I am losing weight too. Each person has to do what is best for themselves. I refuse to eat poison, some people don't care and like to eat fast foods and refined garbage, that's their choice. To each their own.

I'd bet if you stopped assuming people are "ignorant" and "don't care", and calling their food choices "poison" and "garbage", you'd get nicer feedback. Just sayin'
  • phil6707
    phil6707 Posts: 541 Member
    Options

This is a very ignorant comment. What make you think you are smarter than other people? Looking at that comment, I would think you are more under the average. Complexed?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

And ^^this is a prime example of what people are referring to.

"Ignorant people'
    'poison'
    'refined garbage'
    'people do not care'
  • schmoovey
    schmoovey Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    RodaRose nailed it.
    I too get harassed, especially by those closest to me, which is ironic since you think they would want me to be healthy!

From my many years of experience, I've found that people do this as a way of justifying their own bad eating behaviors or they secretly want you to fail so that they can then point a finger and say, "I told you so" ...or "I knew it wasn't going to help."

For some bad reason, a lot of people like to see others fail, because it makes them feel superior to said person. Sad, but true.

I've become used to my family or friends poking fun at me for not eating certain foods or skipping desert, stocking up on veggies/fruits, etc. I guess I have a thicker skin about it all, or maybe it's just a healthier body! :)
  • ChrisM8971
    ChrisM8971 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options

Sorry but this nearly made me lose my wine laughing.

Great that your way of eating has helped with your issues but that does not mean its is the best way for everyone or even healthier than other diets.

Actually its a very narrow minded view of food
  • johnnylakis
    johnnylakis Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Often when people criticize or talk you out of something, they do so because your new way is threatening them.
    It makes them look bad.
    ==
    Quit talking to these people about this part of your life. Seriously. Your food plan is private and not open to debate.
    Come here where it is safe because most of us are on similar paths.
    ==
    It is great that you are seeing progress. That is an amazing gift you have given to yourself and your future.
  • nlee115
    nlee115 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Well said!
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

And ^^this is a prime example of what people are referring to.

"Ignorant people'
    'poison'
    'refined garbage'
    'people do not care'

^Exactly.
  • NYGiantsGirl73
    Options
    Yeah, today in my lunch room, I was told I was always eating Rabbit Food. At the time, I was eating Salmon. Im pretty sure the Rabbit isnt a natural predator of the Salmon.

There's a nature show I'd pay to watch.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    I get a lot of the same from some people on the same course as me at Uni!

I eat a lot of quality food, bring it to lectures in tupperware boxes and have that for lunch, when everyone else goes to the pub and orders burgers and hotdogs - and im the 'weird' one who eats properly and isn't skinny-fat or just plain fat.

It irritates me when those people also call my lunches boring or too expensive! - I'd love to know what is boring about Brown rice, with peas, scrambled egg and bbq marinated chicken, or how it's expensive, compared to the £6 burger and £3 pint of cider with it that all my coursemates have!

Where as the weatherspoons (pub) hotdog you had a few days ago, along with Pringles, doughnuts etc are super clean. You even had cider! The only 'clean' food you had that day was milk.

Hypocrisy. This is why I mock 'clean' eaters.

I don't care what you eat, but when you claim to be more educated, healthier, superior just because of your food choices well...
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options
    One word ' Pretentious'

Ordering a salad = Pretentious
    Ordering a burger = Normal

Normal beat the hell out the the Pretentious. The end.

What? Ordering a salad is not normal? And people think that ordering a salad somehow makes them more healthy than someone ordering a burger?

Is this a joke?

I still think there is confusion here. It's not the ordering of the salad. It's the parading around of one's beliefs as if you are better than someone else
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options

Wow, yeah, thanks for showing up and proving why "clean eaters" leave a bad taste in my mouth.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    RodaRose nailed it.
    I too get harassed, especially by those closest to me, which is ironic since you think they would want me to be healthy!

From my many years of experience, I've found that people do this as a way of justifying their own bad eating behaviors or they secretly want you to fail so that they can then point a finger and say, "I told you so" ...or "I knew it wasn't going to help."

For some bad reason, a lot of people like to see others fail, because it makes them feel superior to said person. Sad, but true.

I've become used to my family or friends poking fun at me for not eating certain foods or skipping desert, stocking up on veggies/fruits, etc. I guess I have a thicker skin about it all, or maybe it's just a healthier body! :)

Either you are grossly exaggerating or your family are major d*cks. I'm guessing it's the former. My opinion, of course.
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    One word ' Pretentious'

Ordering a salad = Pretentious
    Ordering a burger = Normal

Normal beat the hell out the the Pretentious. The end.

Maybe you just need new friends?

Sometimes I'll order a burger. Sometimes I'll order a salad. I've never gotten a reaction on way or another from anyone.

And quite often I'll have a burger with a salad on the side. :drinker:

I love a well made salad. So long as they don't overdo the lettuce. I don't want to eat a crap ton of lettuce. I like variety and protein in my salads.

Texas Roadhouse Filet Salad:
    6oz filet mingon (med-rare or you're doing it wrong :angry: )
    Bacon crumbles
    Blue cheese crumbles
    Blue cheese dressing
    Oh yea, and lettuce and tomatoes and stuff.....
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I didn't read anything, and only sort of scanned the op. But, anyway, the food a person chooses to eat is a personal choice. I don't see the point in caring what anyone else eats. Unless they are suffering, and would be helped by info. But, it's not an issue if a person's personal choices do not have a negative impact on their life.