Does anyone else dislike exercise?

Options

Replies

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    If you like exercise you are either crazy or delusional.

You don't LIKE exercise, you like the way you feel afterward, or you like how you look after spending several weeks on a program.

No one LIKES exercise itself.

Want to lose weight?

Learn to control hunger.

Skip breakfast and make your mornings useful without stuffing your stomach.

I am neither crazy nor delusional and I love exercising. When I can't exercise for a period of time (twice now, once due to serious injury, once due to pregnancy issues) I was very upset. I missed it like crazy. I look forward to getting back to it. I love how I feel afterwards but I also enjoy it at the time.

Just because some people don't like exercise does not mean that no one can. Sweeping generalizations are rarely accurate.
    Yeah, it's just undiluted silliness to say no one likes to exercise. I don't understand how someone could be so lacking in awareness to hold such a belief.
  • Barbellarella_
    Barbellarella_ Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I consider it a hobby, because I love it. It's the only activity I enjoy, besides singing..

But yes, I'm sure there are other people who dislike it besides you.
  • corksterfl87
    corksterfl87 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Nobody loves exercise. We do it for the benefits. It's part of being an adult, doing things we'd rather not.

That said, I am never sorry after a work out. But I am almost never pumped to go beforehand. It's always the reward afterward that makes me glad I did it.
    This helps!!! Thank you!!!...question were you always thin?
  • VBnotbitter
    VBnotbitter Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    I tolerate it because I know I need to do it but I certainly don't love it. I lift, run, hill walk, yoga and swim in the summer but I don't get a huge amount of pleasure out of it. I think the only thing I've ever tried that I could learn to love would be kayaking but as I live an hour from the nearest body of water I only get to do that a couple of times a year.
  • sugafreak
    sugafreak Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    There are days I really don't feel like exercising, when this happens I put on some dance music and dance my heart out for an hour. It flies by cos I love dancing and has the added bonus of burning a fair few calories. Exercise doesn't have to be torture just pick something you enjoy.
  • 135hearmeroar
    135hearmeroar Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I don't like to exercise so I trick myself by listening to upbeat music on my iphone and I dream up the perfect man while doing it and when I do that I can run for hours, honestly. Let your imagination run wild, get carried away in the music and before you know it you've done a 2-3 hour workout. Gotta make it fun. I don't do this often I usually run for about an hour.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options

You don't LIKE exercise, you like the way you feel afterward, or you like how you look after spending several weeks on a program.

Want to lose weight?

Learn to control hunger.

Physical activity makes you less grumpy.
  • trojan_bb
    trojan_bb Posts: 699 Member
    Options

Want to lose weight?

Learn to control hunger.

LOL

I love the lift itself. Pushing the bar. The actual exercise. The muscle contracting. Every aspect of the movement.

I live for it. Thanks for the advice though!
  • trojan_bb
    trojan_bb Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    edit: duplicate. MFP, can we please have a delete button. thx
  • RHachicho
    RHachicho Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options

Want to lose weight?

Learn to control hunger.

LOL

I love the lift itself. Pushing the bar. The actual exercise. The muscle contracting. Every aspect of the movement.

I live for it. Thanks for the advice though!

Yep same I during a session I usually end up lifting until my muscles give that "nope we've got nuthin left" Signal. You know where you do a rep that is usually easy for you and you can't even get one done lol. I dunno if that is total glycogen depletion or what but i hate that wall more than anything. Cos I always still wanna keep going and my muscles are whiney little *kitten*.

Even then cos I'm relatively fit I'm not exhausted by it. It's a funny thing but until I got fit I didn't know the difference between losing muscle strength and becoming physically exhausted. I was never fit enough to hit my muscles limits XD.
  • defauIt
    defauIt Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I like *some* exercise but not all exercise. Swimming, football, road hockey, biking, kayaking, lifting, rock climbing and the occasional hike are all activies I enjoy.

Just like I like *some* food but not all food. The trick is just finding what you enjoy doing.
  • 20Grit
    20Grit Posts: 752 Member
    Options

Want to lose weight?

Learn to control hunger.

Sigh. :grumble:
  • tinwaleet
    tinwaleet Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I used to dislike exercising, then tried zumba and I love it, best time in my day, getting also to like steps. Maybe you have not found yet the exercise that fits you. As others have said perhaps continue to try new things and you may find the best one fir you. Good luck.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    I will expand.

That some group exercise activities are successful (albeit temporarily) and personal trainers make out like bandits proves the point.

It is not fun to exercise. And the older you get, the more outright pain there is.

But bring in a social aspect, and the positives of social interaction outweighs the negatives of doing pointless and repetitive physical activity. Look at the franchised exercise programs.

For that matter, look at the diet programs that are "successful."

There is a big positive social component.

You can realize intellectually the positives of exercise, and then do it and get used to it. It becomes painless and routine after a while, but...I'd rather be in Paris, and so would you.

For that matter, eating food is fun and satisfying.

Learning to skip breakfast isn't "fun" but you learn to get used to it- especially if you realize the long-term benefits.

Grand sweeping statement is grand and sweeping. It's also incorrect.

YOU don't think exercise is fun. Your personal feelings are not the personal feelings of every other member of the human species. This should be rather obvious.
  • DebTavares
    DebTavares Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I love the feeling I get after a good workout. I hate working out when I'm not hitting macros or when I haven't had enough sleep.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I will expand.

That some group exercise activities are successful (albeit temporarily) and personal trainers make out like bandits proves the point.

It is not fun to exercise. And the older you get, the more outright pain there is.

But bring in a social aspect, and the positives of social interaction outweighs the negatives of doing pointless and repetitive physical activity. Look at the franchised exercise programs.

You can realize intellectually the positives of exercise, and then do it and get used to it. It becomes painless and routine after a while, but...I'd rather be in Paris, and so would you.

Learning to skip breakfast isn't "fun" but you learn to get used to it- especially if you realize the long-term benefits.

You make no sense. It's more than just being about knowing intellectually exercise is good for me, far more.
    Many of us constantly push our limits. We actively avoid "routine".
    Yeah, I'd rather be in Paris when I'm exercising, but I'd be planning a run while I was there. Nothing better than exploring on a run.

ETA - you don't have to like exercise, that's fine. You aren't alone. But you don't speak for everyone.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    I will expand.

But there's Nothing wrong with making an honest living. If people have figured out a way to solve the problems with exercise and make it more appealing, I say more power to them. I'm happy to give them my money if it means I'm exercising year in year out and loving it. Hell, forgetting money for a second, some people even write free posts on MFP that make me give running an honest shot and actually like it. What's the ulterior motive there other than genius problem solving??

You actually remind me of a Q&A Blog website where a poster had asked about his exercise habits. He golfs, plays tennis, squash, etc but doesn't attend a gym. Is this sufficient physical activity? The responder says no, he's gotta go to a gym and workout :noway: Seriously??

And I don't know about Paris. I don't speak their language (fluently) and my last trip to Europe was 8 hours. I hate long flights (possibly flying, period, frankly), and currently there's no quicker way to get across the pond
  • Barbellarella_
    Barbellarella_ Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I will expand.

Lolz.

I workout in my garage, by myself often. I still enjoy exercising! even without the social aspect.

And although I do agree that intermittent fasting can be a helpful tool to create a caloric deficit, it's not going to give me the shapely figure I'm after, like lifting does.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    I will expand.

You make no sense. It's more than just being about knowing intellectually exercise is good for me, far more.
    Many of us constantly push our limits. We actively avoid "routine".
    Yeah, I'd rather be in Paris when I'm exercising, but I'd be planning a run while I was there. Nothing better than exploring on a run.

ETA - you don't have to like exercise, that's fine. You aren't alone. But you don't speak for everyone.

Not to mention the endorphin highs many people get due to exercise. Endorphin highs are chemical fun.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I will expand.

I lift on my own. There is no social component to that. Some of us just actually enjoy it. You may not, but you can't speak for everyone. Also, I have zero desire to ever go to Paris. I'd rather be in the gym.

I can appreciate that you have a very different view on exercise than I do. You don't enjoy it and you find it painful. I enjoy it and at 50% disabled strength training has done wonders to reduce my daily pain. There are a wide variety of views on exercise out there. It's interesting to hear yours, but generalizations about how everyone feels on a certain subject don't work.

People don't have to skip breakfast to be successful at fitness or fat loss. They can if they want to. They can if they aren't hungry. It isn't necessary to skip it or to eat it. It's highly individual.