Does anyone else dislike exercise?

Options

Replies

• VBnotbitter
    VBnotbitter Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    I will expand.

That some group exercise activities are successful (albeit temporarily) and personal trainers make out like bandits proves the point.

It is not fun to exercise. And the older you get, the more outright pain there is.

But bring in a social aspect, and the positives of social interaction outweighs the negatives of doing pointless and repetitive physical activity. Look at the franchised exercise programs.

For that matter, look at the diet programs that are "successful."

There is a big positive social component.

You can realize intellectually the positives of exercise, and then do it and get used to it. It becomes painless and routine after a while, but...I'd rather be in Paris, and so would you.

For that matter, eating food is fun and satisfying.

Learning to skip breakfast isn't "fun" but you learn to get used to it- especially if you realize the long-term benefits.

Grand sweeping statement is grand and sweeping. It's also incorrect.

YOU don't think exercise is fun. Your personal feelings are not the personal feelings of every other member of the human species. This should be rather obvious.

^^^^ this

there are several kinds of exercise that I have done in my life that are enjoyable that I did for no other reason that that they're enjoyable. Skating is a prime example - not just hockey, skating too, as in going to a public skating session, without friends (usually with friends but if they weren't around I still went without them), and just skating around in circles (because what else can you do at a public session in an ice rink) - health and not getting fat were not on my mind at all. I just did it purely for fun. It was a lot more fun on the public sessions where there were few enough people that I didn't have to just skate around in circles and could do all kinds of other things like sharp turns, circles and all the rest though... busy public sessions were less fun because you had to skate slowly to avoid collisions with people who couldn't skate so well.

most of the exercise I've done in my life I've done for fun. Ice hockey, judo, hiking, cycling, playing games in the street with the other kids... some kinds of exercise, like cross country running, netball and rounders, i hated and would not have done at all had PE teachers and judo coaches not made me do it.

I didn't get fat until I quit ice hockey and carried on eating like I was still doing all the training i used to *facepalm* - only then did the concept of doing exercise to stay healthy and get thin even dawn on me. So no, the above is not just me intellectualising the benefits of exercise or enjoying the after effects of it........ I enjoyed it all for its own sake, other than running and sports that I found boring like netball. (netball isn't even exercise anyway, mostly it's standing around as players aren't even allowed in the entire court, hence why it's boring)

My kids too - they love running around and playing outdoors. I don't need to make them exercise. They do it all by themselves. I'm also inclined to think that this is the natural way for humans to be, and people get conditioned out of enjoying exercise, probably due to a combination of overbearing PE teachers and becoming unfit due to being too sedentary, so they lose the ability to enjoy exercise, and may never regain it (although I think people do regain the ability to enjoy exercise).

For people who genuinely hate all forms of exercise... well I admire your dedication for sticking at it. And also, coming at this question from the opposite perspective... I do find it hard to believe that anyone would hate *all* forms of sport and exercise (not saying that these people don't exist, just that it's hard to imagine)... I totally get not liking specific ones, but it is hard to imagine someone hating every single kind of exercise there is.... I guess that's because it's hard for people to imagine other people having vastly different experiences to their own. I also want to know if this is a genetic thing, or if people are conditioned to hate exercise through negative experiences, perhaps due to a combination of being unfit as a child and unable to keep up with the other children and overbearing PE teachers who humiliate kids for not being good at sport (which was very common in the 70s and 80s unfortunately).

Is there an ice rink in Paris? I might rather be there... or, even better, in Canada skating on natural ice (never had the chance to do this, would love to one day).

I totally agree with you about post PE teacher stress disorder! Particularly in Britain in the 70s and 80s. I think that's my problem I'm traumatised from being forced to play hockey in the snow in a gym skirt and being laughed at by the teacher for being uncoordinated. My husband grew up in Australia and sailed, surfed and all sorts at school. His mum was a PE teacher in 70s Australia and she is horrified by some of the things I experienced. Consequently everyone around me these days loves to be active except me.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    I will expand.

That some group exercise activities are successful (albeit temporarily) and personal trainers make out like bandits proves the point.

It is not fun to exercise. And the older you get, the more outright pain there is.

But bring in a social aspect, and the positives of social interaction outweighs the negatives of doing pointless and repetitive physical activity. Look at the franchised exercise programs.

You can realize intellectually the positives of exercise, and then do it and get used to it. It becomes painless and routine after a while, but...I'd rather be in Paris, and so would you.

Learning to skip breakfast isn't "fun" but you learn to get used to it- especially if you realize the long-term benefits.

Ha ha!

So much fail.

As others who train alone have pointed out - there is no social component. Yet, we still love it.

You just don't like exercise. I get it. Other people don't like exercise. I get it. But you cannot speak for all of us. You don't have the knowledge or the right.

Paris is very nice, but it's a different qualitative experience going there for a long weekend than it is engaging in a structured training programme that you love. Don't try to get too confused about the fact that there are myriad human experiences that are their own unique thing and are meaningless to compare.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I love exercise now but I used to hate it. Turns out I was doing the wrong kind of exercise for me. I love to lift, but I hate body weight exercises. I kept trying to do them, or I would keep trying to mindlessly pedal on the exercise bike at the gym, and then I'd get fed up and quit because it wasn't enjoyable.

And yes, I enjoy the exercise itself not just the benefits. And I lift alone-- I prefer no social component when lifting. I love to talk about lifting with other enthusiasts but when it comes to the lifting itself I'd rather be alone.
  • Hybrice
    Hybrice Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I do it because I need to in order to lose weight. Although I may enjoy the feeling of finishing the workouts (Insanity), I do not "enjoy" the work it. After all it's physically exhausting. I enjoy it the way I'd enjoy winning at a video game, a sense of achievement, progression, but by no an enjoyable sensation.
  • aedreana
    aedreana Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    I absolutely believe that for some people, exercise carries a negative connotation as a result of bad past experiences..And too, people who qualify, "I hate exercise" with "but I enjoy _____ (swimming/dancing/bicycling-- fill in the blank)" don't really REALLY hate exercise.

With me, it is genetic. I was born this way. I hate exercise. ALL exercise.
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    Hate it. Hate sweating, hate my face getting flushed, hate working out in a gym with others around.

My main exercise is walking.
  • KatrineJensen
    KatrineJensen Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I HATE exercise every morning before pressing play, I HATE it through the warm up, and then I LOVE it when I'm done. I have to just do it, and then I know I will feel great afterwards. It's like waxing my legs - I dread it, contemplate just skipping it (who wants smooth legs anyways?), but then I suck it up and do it anyways, and after some pain and cursing, it's always worth it; my legs are smooth and I feel fantastic and confident.

Exercise is the same, you have to endure the unpleasant parts to enjoy the benefits.
  • TLwineguzzler
    TLwineguzzler Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    "[/
  • TLwineguzzler
    TLwineguzzler Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I will expand.

Grand sweeping statement is grand and sweeping. It's also incorrect.

YOU don't think exercise is fun. Your personal feelings are not the personal feelings of every other member of the human species. This should be rather obvious.

^^^^ this

there are several kinds of exercise that I have done in my life that are enjoyable that I did for no other reason that that they're enjoyable. Skating is a prime example - not just hockey, skating too, as in going to a public skating session, without friends (usually with friends but if they weren't around I still went without them), and just skating around in circles (because what else can you do at a public session in an ice rink) - health and not getting fat were not on my mind at all. I just did it purely for fun. It was a lot more fun on the public sessions where there were few enough people that I didn't have to just skate around in circles and could do all kinds of other things like sharp turns, circles and all the rest though... busy public sessions were less fun because you had to skate slowly to avoid collisions with people who couldn't skate so well.

most of the exercise I've done in my life I've done for fun. Ice hockey, judo, hiking, cycling, playing games in the street with the other kids... some kinds of exercise, like cross country running, netball and rounders, i hated and would not have done at all had PE teachers and judo coaches not made me do it.

I didn't get fat until I quit ice hockey and carried on eating like I was still doing all the training i used to *facepalm* - only then did the concept of doing exercise to stay healthy and get thin even dawn on me. So no, the above is not just me intellectualising the benefits of exercise or enjoying the after effects of it........ I enjoyed it all for its own sake, other than running and sports that I found boring like netball. (netball isn't even exercise anyway, mostly it's standing around as players aren't even allowed in the entire court, hence why it's boring)

My kids too - they love running around and playing outdoors. I don't need to make them exercise. They do it all by themselves. I'm also inclined to think that this is the natural way for humans to be, and people get conditioned out of enjoying exercise, probably due to a combination of overbearing PE teachers and becoming unfit due to being too sedentary, so they lose the ability to enjoy exercise, and may never regain it (although I think people do regain the ability to enjoy exercise).

For people who genuinely hate all forms of exercise... well I admire your dedication for sticking at it. And also, coming at this question from the opposite perspective... I do find it hard to believe that anyone would hate *all* forms of sport and exercise (not saying that these people don't exist, just that it's hard to imagine)... I totally get not liking specific ones, but it is hard to imagine someone hating every single kind of exercise there is.... I guess that's because it's hard for people to imagine other people having vastly different experiences to their own. I also want to know if this is a genetic thing, or if people are conditioned to hate exercise through negative experiences, perhaps due to a combination of being unfit as a child and unable to keep up with the other children and overbearing PE teachers who humiliate kids for not being good at sport (which was very common in the 70s and 80s unfortunately).

Is there an ice rink in Paris? I might rather be there... or, even better, in Canada skating on natural ice (never had the chance to do this, would love to one day).

I totally agree with you about post PE teacher stress disorder! Particularly in Britain in the 70s and 80s. I think that's my problem I'm traumatised from being forced to play hockey in the snow in a gym skirt and being laughed at by the teacher for being uncoordinated. My husband grew up in Australia and sailed, surfed and all sorts at school. His mum was a PE teacher in 70s Australia and she is horrified by some of the things I experienced. Consequently everyone around me these days loves to be active except me.

Those teachers at our school were total barstewards though Sis, and looking back I'm sure a couple of them had lesbian tendencies when they forced pre-pubescent girls to go through cold showers without their costumes on after swimming lessons
  • annko65
    annko65 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I thought it was only me and believe me I am so glad that I see how many people dislike exercise.....

No matter what they say, I never felt that great after swimming or a work out...I do feel good while I am doing it but not afterwards; it's weird, isn't it?

The only thing I want is to just go home and rest after a long day at work not run up and down in a park.....
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Nobody loves exercise. We do it for the benefits...

Speak for yourself. I get so excited when I'm going to go for a cross-country run or a long hike in the hills. I :heart: it so much. I do sometimes have to force myself to the gym to do weights (mostly cuz I hate the crowds), but once I get there I'm all in and having a great time. :drinker:
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    Our bodies were made to move, not be sedentary. That is why people feel better when they move. Moving does all kinds of good stuff to your body. I bet that if you tried the following, you might increase your chances of learning to enjoy exercising:

Technically, you are correct -- however, so is the OP. I feel my body was intended to lie on a chaise and be fed bonbons by a staff of eunuchs. I am currently in a recliner feeding myself blueberries and will force myself to move later because both of you are correct. I hate exercising and it makes me feel better. Dammit.

I love this. ;-)

However, I love working out. I think the key is to look for stuff you look forward to doing. I tried strength training, but didn't like exercising alone. Then I started taking classes found a bunch that I liked, with instructors that I liked, and started building from there.

I love the benefits of exercise, but I find they are secondary to my participation. Again, I believe that's in direct correlation to choosing workouts that I am excited to go to. I have my days, but for the most part, I look forward to each class.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    If you like exercise you are either crazy or delusional.

You don't LIKE exercise, you like the way you feel afterward, or you like how you look after spending several weeks on a program.

No one LIKES exercise itself.

Want to lose weight?

Learn to control hunger.

Skip breakfast and make your mornings useful without stuffing your stomach.

:laugh: This is perhaps the most absurd thing I've read on MFP all week. (Previous Poster: If you don't share my views, you're insane or delusional.) That's a really dysfunctional worldview. :huh:
  • loribethrice
    loribethrice Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    I force myself to exercise because it's healthy. I found something that I don't hate, the rowing machine, so I stick to that and then lift weights.
  • ALambino
    ALambino Posts: 22
    Options
    I like exercise but I have finally come to accept that I hate running! I can do it for about 20 minutes and then I get bored and frustrated which then leads to loss of interest and morale. I enjoy strength training though
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Saying you dislike exercise is a bit of a silly thing to say. It's like saying because you don't like carrots you hate all food. Do you dislike playing on the beach with your family on a sunny day? Do you dislike walking through National parks taking in the countryside? Do you dislike walking around shopping malls? These are all exercise. It's a mindset any activity is exercise. you may dislike doing DVDs or going to a gym but there are so many things to keep you active that are exercise but just not what you may classify as such. You don't have to do official 'exercise' to exercise.
  • mhasita
    mhasita Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I used to think I hated to exercise until I started doing things at my own pace.

I was always trying to do the typical gym class, p90x DVD workout / HIIT routines I found on the internet, things like that, I couldn't keep up and hated it.
    Then I found a workout program that was low impact, geared for begginers, with workouts I could finish but that were challenging enough for me to notice an inprovement in my fitness level. And this is where I started to love working out. Now I can do all of those other things I used to hate, but since I'm way more in shape I can actually keep up and feel great.

Find the type of workouts and the intensity best suited for your fitness level.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    If you like exercise you are either crazy or delusional.

You don't LIKE exercise, you like the way you feel afterward, or you like how you look after spending several weeks on a program.

No one LIKES exercise itself.

Want to lose weight?

Learn to control hunger.

Skip breakfast and make your mornings useful without stuffing your stomach.

:laugh: This is perhaps the most absurd thing I've read on MFP all week. (Previous Poster: If you don't share my views, you're insane or delusional.) That's a really dysfunctional worldview. :huh:

I don't like sauerkraut. Therefore no one likes sauerkraut. Anyone who thinks they do is just delusional. :wink:
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,067 Member
    Options
    at first yea, wasnt a huge fan. but then again i didnt like beer the first time i tried it either, that opinion didnt exactly stick around for very long
  • mscolleen2003
    mscolleen2003 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I did before I joined Crossfit, now I love it. I used to get so darn board.