I have no will power - Suggestions?

Options
I am new to Myfitnesspal and just looking for a little push (or a big shove!). I know all about the healthy lifestyle, the food I should be eating, the portion sizes, etc. I dont seem to have the determination to stick with it. I go a few days few hours and then slip up. I am looking for a push of some sort, like that eye openng moment where i get the power to stick to it. Ansuggestion from anyone else who had the same will power issues?

Replies

• I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    You need discipline, not will power. "Will power" is great and all, but it tends to come and go. Work on being disciplined.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    You aren't serious yet. Walk through a hospital and take a look at seriously ill people who developed all sorts of life-ending illnesses at least in part because of lifestyle. Look around at family and friends as well. Make a list of reasons why you want to be at a normal weight and strong.

Then devise a food plan that is at a modest calorie deficit and doesn't cut out all the food you like. If your plan is reasonable, you don't feel like abandoning it.

No one else can do this for you. Motivation does not come from the outside. It's you and only you when you are walking past a table of cheesecake.
  • 212ackley
    212ackley Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat! Willpower is my downfall :grumble: I do allow myself a sweet snack of some sort at night and I can manage that!

Try to find something healthier but similar to what you crave--
    if you are like me and have a sweet tooth go for fruit- I had blueberries with whipped cream last night :bigsmile: ,
    if you want crunch go for raw veggies (peppers,carrots, celery, cucumbers etc..),
    craving salty? have a bit of your favorite nuts or even cucumbers with a dash of salt...

The whole willpower thing has to be learned and I'm finally getting it, but it won't be a magical thing that just happens. It takes a lot of patience. Just know that it gets easier and easier -- you might have a bad day (or week or month even) but you are the one who is ultimately in control! I'm finally to a spot I can talk myself out of a sabotage most of the time...though I do struggle when dining out (their food always tastes so much better than I make at home :blushing: )

I wish you all the luck in the world on your weight loss:flowerforyou: Add me as a friend if you like!
  • 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    You need to sit down and write out your motivations for losing weight. It's hard to stay on track without a clear idea of why you want to lose those 30 lbs.
  • November_Fire
    November_Fire Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    You'll wake up one morning and decide to take it seriously.

Until then, there are no magic tips and tricks. You just do it or you don't.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    You need discipline, not will power. "Will power" is great and all, but it tends to come and go. Work on being disciplined.

This. Believing you have no willpower will be a self fulfilling prophecy.

You don't need willpower or motivation, you need a decision.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/818701-the-myth-of-motivation-and-what-you-need-instead
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    I dont seem to have the determination to stick with it.
    Then don't.

If it's important enough, you'll do it. If it's not, you won't.
  • DR2501
    DR2501 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Short answer, you just don't want it enough.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Will power to do what? not eat sweets? not eat certian foods...you don't need that type of will power.

Eat what you want but in reasonable portions...

This is why will power often slips...who wants to give up their favorite foods...not me. So I didn't...I ate them but stayed in goal all the while losing weight.
  • marilandica
    marilandica Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    You're the only one who can do this, so if you need and want to do it, you have to.

That being said, one of the reasons I succeeded with weight loss and fitness this time around is that I didn't use a slip as an excuse for a slide. So I ate too much of something? That's all it was -- not an excuse to throw in the towel and binge. So I didn't exercise today? That's all it was -- not a reason to not exercise tomorrow.

The other thing is that I didn't diet -- I changed my eating habits. I eat real food that I intend to eat for the rest of my life. Nothing was taboo, I just had to account for it. You end up learning real portion control and making better food choices just because they fit in your calorie allotment more easily.
  • HMbubblegun
    HMbubblegun Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    You can't find the push or shove that will make you do this online. No one here has anything to tell you that is going to make a big enough impact on you that you're going to suddenly decide to change your life. As everyone else has said; you just don't want it enough right now. Hopefully a time will come when you do but right now you aren't serious about this and so you're not committed to it. No one here can change that.
  • All4Me2014xx
    All4Me2014xx Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Ditto here. The only thing I find that works for me is to get rid of whatever my trigger food are. For me, pasta is a hard one to resist, so I try not to keep it in my house.
  • Fatandfifty3
    Fatandfifty3 Posts: 419 Member
    Options

this and
    I have no discipline and the the will power of a Kitkat (a Twinkie in US?).

I Have Found the Power!!!

or... 5:2 Diet works a charm. You only have to have will power and discipline for 24 hrs. I can look at a chocolate cake and think 'I can eat this tommorrow... just not today.'
    I've lost 27lbs in 2 months.

:-D
  • themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,215 Member
    Options
    You aren't serious yet. Walk through a hospital and take a look at seriously ill people who developed all sorts of life-ending illnesses at least in part because of lifestyle. Look around at family and friends as well. Make a list of reasons why you want to be at a normal weight and strong.

Then devise a food plan that is at a modest calorie deficit and doesn't cut out all the food you like. If your plan is reasonable, you don't feel like abandoning it.

No one else can do this for you. Motivation does not come from the outside. It's you and only you when you are walking past a table of cheesecake.

This. 1000 times this!

Please read this:

http://www.vicmagary.com/blog/fitness-motivation/
  • klrice82
    klrice82 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi . I know exactly what you mean about will power. It's a practiced art, trust me, I am the first one to cave when it comes to portions and "treats" I've come a very long way. feel free to connect to me klrice82. My husband is also a personal trainer and my personal trainer. With his guidance I've lost 230lbs in 4 years. He has a website with healthy recipes, lifestyle posts and my transformation story. feel free to check it out at www.guidancefitnesspt.com he is also here on myfitnesspal at bobzfit. I wish you well on your journey and know that we are all here for each other!
  • Icandoityayme
    Icandoityayme Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    You might not be quite ready yet. Sometimes it takes something big to get you serious about it. Mine was a picture of myself. I had no idea I looked that bad until that picture was taken. I cried, and then I got mad at myself for letting things get so bad. I put that pic up so I had to look at it every single day to remind me that this is not who I am and I need to fix this. I have not stopped since. Days I feel like I have no motivation, I talk to myself by saying "this is rediculous, get off your *kitten* and do something, this is what got you in this mess in the first place". Sometimes you have to be your own butt kicker.
  • greenschoices
    Options
    You need a goal, an eating plan and an exercise regime. How strict each of these things are is your choice. It's all about choices and what works for you. If you are not fully committed though it will not happen. Be flexible, realistic and optimistic. You will do this!
  • bluetuesday5
    bluetuesday5 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    The battle starts at the grocery store. Buy more healthy foods and less junk, and you are already on your way. Then find some type of exercise you enjoy, and do it 2-3 times a week. For me it was weightlifting.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Will power is like a muscle--it only gets stronger if you exercise it. Start small, by making better choices when grocery shopping, and stocking your house with healthier choices. Then when that becomes easy, try buying a box of cookies or chips and practice eating one serving at a time.

The culture we live in seems to relish glorifying gluttony and self-indulgence, it's hard to reverse that and train yourself to be satisfied with a recommended portion of certain foods. But it can be done, you just have to stick with it.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    I think successful and permanent weightloss takes a multi-prong approach. If willpower is the only tool in your toolbox, then I suggest reading these boards and finding other things that also help so many of us. Or just ask that question: "what are the weapons in your personal arsenal in your war on flab?"

[I used a lot of metaphors here]