Having guests for dinner - what do you serve?

Options
2»

Replies

• Shalaurise
    Shalaurise Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Food! I would make food. I tried serving crafts once, but it didn't work out well so I went back to making food. *nods*
  • lightmouse
    lightmouse Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I do "help yourself" type dishes like chicken fajitas or tacos with lean beef or turkey mince. That way, if people want to pig out, they can do :laugh: and I can work out my own portions/filling combinations without looking like I'm making everyone eat the way I do.

As for desserts - a blog called "Chocolate Covered Katie" has TONS of healthy desserts that appear really indulgent, taste great, but are better for you. Guests can't tell the difference!
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I do "help yourself" type dishes like chicken fajitas or tacos with lean beef or turkey mince. That way, if people want to pig out, they can do :laugh: and I can work out my own portions/filling combinations without looking like I'm making everyone eat the way I do.

As for desserts - a blog called "Chocolate Covered Katie" has TONS of healthy desserts that appear really indulgent, taste great, but are better for you. Guests can't tell the difference!

We tend to do 'help yourself' kind of things too if we have a few guests....chilli with rice, spaghetti bolognaise, thai green curry...

If it's just a couple of people, we do something like stir fry, or chicken and veg.

You could always do a fruit salad with meringues and a bit of cream for dessert. Or sorbet.
  • jr235
    jr235 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    1 meat dish, 1 grain dish, 1 salad, 1 vegetable dish, and dessert. Usually we have a light soup too.

Last time we had friends over

Marinated chicken (all different parts - breast, thigh, drumstick) with bread crumbs, baked and then broiled to get the bread crumbs browned.
    Rice pilaf with lots of bits of veggies in there - super easy to make and always gets compliments.
    Garden salad with a few dressing options on the side. Homemade yogurt, tahini, bit of fresh garlic, parsley, dill and cilantro and another homemade balsamic vinegeratte.
    Roasted veggies rattatoile style - zucchini, eggplant, tomato, carrots tossed in olive oil, fresh herbs, salt, pepper, bit of fresh garlic and a little balsamic vinegar and a tad off sugar.
    Soup - a light veggie and lentil soup

The rice pilaf and the soup are easy and standard having company over dishes. I cut teh veggies for both using a food processor, and then puree the soup so I don't care how the veggies look. For roasted veggies I like them to be chunkier, so those I cut by hand.

I'm not a particularly good baker so normally we get a nice cake from a bakery with some icecream.

Everything is served on trays and everyone helps themselves. No one starves. ;)
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Food would be a really good ideal!!!

post-37120-1143167775.gif
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    :laugh: Don;t eat your guests. It's not nice.
  • Kamikazeflutterby
    Kamikazeflutterby Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    The "calories" is completely dependent on how much someone eats and not a concern for a dinner party. You can measure yourself all you want, but your guests should leave full and happy.

One of my favorites that is delicious, easy and not labor intensive so you can enjoy yourself:

Bourbon Pork Tenderloin & Mustard Sauce: http://makelifespecial.com/bourbon-pork-tenderloin-with-mustard-sauce/

Serve w/ fresh steamed broccoli or roasted seasoned veggies
    Sweet potato or Rice, Biscuits... whatever

I just wanted the bourbon pork recipe.

OP, you've lost almost 80 lbs.--you've got this covered. I suggest just cooking what's tasty, and watching your portion size of any higher calorie sides or desserts.
  • danofthedead1979
    danofthedead1979 Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    baked beans on toast, if im feeling daring, i might do some garlic bread