Cardio or Weight Training??

Options
Hi Friends,

As a fitness professional I am always asked 'should I do more cardio or weight training for weight loss and health' from clients, and I find myself togging back and forth between both answers (of course this is already under assumption clients are within macros and caloric intake).

I have always recommended combining both cardio and strength training because I always believed and was taught that cardio is used to burn more calories (and fat with anaerobic training like tabata on treadmill etc) and strength training helps build muscle and raise BMR in most cases (and of course there is a billion other reasons weight training is healthy/critical for you).

But for pure weight loss and fitness reasons, and from your experiences, what do you guys suggest?? I feel like I read and study so many different articles and often use the ACSM and NSCA books for reference and am constantly confused. And even for me I want to get myself to a point where I am exercising for peak condition. I don't want to waste time doing the 'recommended' 30-45 minutes of aerobic cardio everyday if mostly lifting weights will allow me to take it a step farther.

I appreciate suggestions :)

Replies

• brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    Weight loss: caloric deficit

Weight training: increasing functional strength with a few calories to add to the output side of the equation. There will be little to no increase in actual muscle mass if the person is eating at a deficit (temporary and initial noob gains and obese gains withstanding).

Cardio training: increasing endurance with descent amounts added to the output side of the equation

The best for weight loss would be the one that a person is most likely to stick with. Do they hate cardio? Then cardio would not be a good option for them. DO they hate lifting heavy things? Then lifting will not be a good option for them. It's individual. Anything else doesn't really matter.
  • Rogus1
    Rogus1 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Do both.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    Cardio doesn't burn more calories. Some people don't do any cardio and burn calories just fine.

Cardio burns fat. Weight and strength training burns fat and retain muscle mass.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    Cardio doesn't burn more calories. Some people don't do any cardio and burn calories just fine.

Cardio burns fat. Weight and strength training burns fat and retain muscle mass.

Cardio burns additional calories to the sedentary 'some people don't do any cardio and burn calories just fine'.
  • bregrig
    bregrig Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    So if I were eating the proper calories and macro ratios, I could essentially lift 4-5x a week for an hour or so and lose fat, though it would be a slower process?
  • KMasz
    KMasz Posts: 2,661 Member
    Options

:noway: this is the first I've heard this. would you mind providing us with some educational references to provide evidence that supports these statements?
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    So if I were eating the proper calories and macro ratios, I could essentially lift 4-5x a week for an hour or so and lose fat, though it would be a slower process?

I was in a reasonable deficit and lifting 3x a week doing a compound program and lost 1/2lb a week...I was on average at TDEE-12%, when I added in HIIT/Cardio along with it...my average weekly weight loss went to 3/4lb a week...

Not sure if lifting 4-5x a week would make it slower or not, not sure why it would as long as you maintain the appropriate deficit.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options

You could lift 2x week or 3x a week full body.

As long as you get adequate protein and maintain a sensible calorie deficit you'll lose fat.

Hell, you could probably get away with a single session - but the DOMS would be murder. But twice a week for 45-60mins each is enough. Dietary control is where it's at...
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

:noway: this is the first I've heard this. would you mind providing us with some educational references to provide evidence that supports these statements?

Cardio burns calories...it's simple...you can't dictate where those calories come from.....

to lose weight you need a deficit...cardio adds to the deficit but if you are not getting in enough protien and doing a progressive load lifting program or some form of resistence training you are losing both fat and muscle...
  • wibutterflymagic
    wibutterflymagic Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    I'm confused. You say you're a fitness professional? You are supposed to know this stuff right? Why are you asking random, untrained, strangers on message boards for opinions?

If I found out my trainer was doing this I'd be really concerned and would drop him in a second.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options

There are a lot of people on this forum that have done only weight lifting to burn fat (and preserve muscle). I don't have any reason to believe they are lying. Feel free to create a thread of your own and request that they share their experiences with you because I don't keep up with all of them.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    I'm confused. You say you're a fitness professional? You are supposed to know this stuff right? Why are you asking random, untrained, strangers on message boards for opinions?

If I found out my trainer was doing this I'd be really concerned and would drop him in a second.

Hey! Who are you calling random, untrained and strange!

(Alright... I'm a bit strange.)
  • RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Options
    My doctor... and trainer have recommended at least 45 minutes of cardio/ cardio session... I believe this ensures that my body kicks in to create all the appropriate chemical processes that a person needs... from a mechanical point of view... the body as a machine... 45 minute bouts of cardio help make sure all the moving parts are getting their work out...

like.. I have a friend. who has a VW diesel... and it's been running cr*ppy... and she's been blaming the turbo charger... had it replaced 2-3 times... (on warranty) ... anyway I did some reading.. and apparently the car needs to be taken onto the highway.. for an uninterrupted burn of not less than 20 minutes... in order to ensure the carbon in the exhaust system doesn't clog up the motor...

same with Cardio for humans... literature and studies indicate that we need a 45 minute cardio burn on a regular basis (MY trainer suggests at least 5 hours a week in NOT less than 45 minute sessions) BUT who has time for 45 minutes of cardio? it is merely a goal... what the lit doesn't say is how strenuous those 45 minutes need to be... moderate, High intensity... or low intensity...

personally I think so long as you are cognizant of a person's goals... for an obese sedentary client.. go heavy on the cardio for 3-4 months... because doing cardio with an extra hundred or so pounds .. is BOTH cardio and weigh training... once the client gets into a healthy cardio zone with enough weight burned off the chassis... then you can start to roll in some additional fitness "fun"
  • bregrig
    Options

Because what they teach you at school 5-7 years ago is always changing and evolving because that is what the fitness industry does. If I just went with what I was taught and never asked other fitness experts on here and never opened my mind to other up to date training and fitness methods then I might as well be that person that thinks 'low fat' is still important.

If your trainer isn't out there asking questions and 'researching' (obvi I take everything I read with a grain of salt) then I would concerned. Who am I to think I never should ask questions? No one knows everything, no matter what your profession is.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I don't do cardio or lift to burn fat...I do cardio for my heart health and I lift for muscle retention, strength, increased bone density, and because it's awesome and helps me be better on my bike.

I control my weight and burn fat by controlling my consumption...If I know that with all of my activity I maintain around 2800 calories (which I do) then I know if I cut down to 2,300 calories and keep my activity level the same, I will lose about 1 Lb per week...I control it through consumption.
  • bregrig
    Options
    My doctor... and trainer have recommended at least 45 minutes of cardio/ cardio session... I believe this ensures that my body kicks in to create all the appropriate chemical processes that a person needs... from a mechanical point of view... the body as a machine... 45 minute bouts of cardio help make sure all the moving parts are getting their work out...

like.. I have a friend. who has a VW diesel... and it's been running cr*ppy... and she's been blaming the turbo charger... had it replaced 2-3 times... (on warranty) ... anyway I did some reading.. and apparently the car needs to be taken onto the highway.. for an uninterrupted burn of not less than 20 minutes... in order to ensure the carbon in the exhaust system doesn't clog up the motor...

same with Cardio for humans... literature and studies indicate that we need a 45 minute cardio burn on a regular basis (MY trainer suggests at least 5 hours a week in NOT less than 45 minute sessions) BUT who has time for 45 minutes of cardio? it is merely a goal... what the lit doesn't say is how strenuous those 45 minutes need to be... moderate, High intensity... or low intensity...

personally I think so long as you are cognizant of a person's goals... for an obese sedentary client.. go heavy on the cardio for 3-4 months... because doing cardio with an extra hundred or so pounds .. is BOTH cardio and weigh training... once the client gets into a healthy cardio zone with enough weight burned off the chassis... then you can start to roll in some additional fitness "fun"

That's generally what I was thinking as well.. just wasn't sure with more active clients and myself if cutting moderate cardio significantly would make much difference, especially if weight training was increased throughout the week.
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    So this is what I have been doing for the last year: 3 days of lifting + cardio. When I was "actively trying" to lose weight, I was doing 3 days of lifting + 2-3 days of cardio. I've kept the 3 days of lifting and cut back to 1-2 days of cardio; I also take a REAL rest day once a week (I've found that I need it as the weight has gotten heavier). After my lifting sessions though, I will walk on the treadmill for maybe 20-30 minutes.

During the week, I run a very low calorie deficit (maybe 100 cals/day). I have 1 day a week where I don't log and go over calories (by my estimates maybe over by 400 cals, which puts me at a deficit of maybe 100 cals/week). It's seemed like a slow process.
    Although in a year, I have gone from a size 10 to a 4 (and I'm probably going to have to go down to a 2 pretty soon). So, I've definitely lost fat.

I also wanted to add: I think that your routine depends on your goals too. When I switched from wanting to lose some weight AND gain strength; I cut back on cardio. Now, I'm focusing more on strength. It also depends on your approach to your diet. I probably could have sped up the weight loss if I had focused on a higher deficit; but honestly, I didn't want to nit-pick every little thing about my diet.
  • bregrig
    Options
    Are you in maintenance now that you have gone back to 1-2 cardio days?
  • GoodLittleEater
    GoodLittleEater Posts: 53 Member
    Options

Because what they teach you at school 5-7 years ago is always changing and evolving because that is what the fitness industry does. If I just went with what I was taught and never asked other fitness experts on here and never opened my mind to other up to date training and fitness methods then I might as well be that person that thinks 'low fat' is still important.

If your trainer isn't out there asking questions and 'researching' (obvi I take everything I read with a grain of salt) then I would concerned. Who am I to think I never should ask questions? No one knows everything, no matter what your profession is.

At first I was surprised to read your headline and then find you were a fitness professional too. But I appreciate your humbleness. And we are all different, that's why there is no ONE answer. Do both if you want to cover all your bases! Hearts need to pump too :)
  • elizabethmcneill1
    Options
    I have been weight training for a year now, and I would do cardio about 2 days a week, (not because it helps with my fat loss, but to have a bit of aerobic exercise and to keep healthy).
    Personally I find weight training the best for losing weight- it makes me sweat like crazy, and also the variety of exercises and being able to have strength goals etc, has kept me going for a whole year, 6 days a week. It's now my lifestyle, but I know if I had stuck with cardio, as I had previously, it was more of a 'month-on, month-off' novelty.
    However, I guess it depends on your goals. It is a very slow process this way- building muscle and losing fat (which I can state- is possible), as I weigh the exact same since I started training, but have lost body-fat and went down in clothes sizes. I have been at different weights, and this, being my heaviest, is also my leanest. Weights all the way! From me, but I do admit that I see some girls on their cardio machines, and they look amazing too:), personal preference to how you lose the weight:)