is fruit bad?

Options
124»

Replies

• paulzli
    paulzli Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Personally I love fruit its the only way to get me to eat trail mix... I'm currently replacing my fries with apple slices where the option is given etc and I have a plan for a light lunch next semester that has apple slices and string cheese before my cardio class.

Slices of apples, onions, and some brie slathered in dijon mustard, but you could definitely use a sharp cheese. This is definitely spicy, but its delicious and you get a dopamine kick out of it.
  • paulzli
    paulzli Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I can't comment on this, not because I don't have an opinion, but because I think the better person to ask is your doctor. Your doctor can recommend certain diets. Definitely fruits are better than other sugary snacks. And I know it's better to eat the actual fruit instead of drinking the juice(even no sugar added juices).

It is always recommended to talk to your doctor before starting any diet or exercies regimen especially if you have questions.

Best of luck!
    So if all questions should be directed only at doctors, what's the point of this message board?

Also, doctors are very well versed in nutrition. For example........Oz.

Do you really believe that you know something Oz doesn't? He makes huge sums of money by being a sellout. I'm sure you wouldn't do the same thing, given the opportunity, but that makes him morally bankrupt, not ignorant.

I doubt the OP's doc has any motivation to be giving knowingly incorrect information, although that isn't to say all doctors' recommendations shouldn't be corroborated by knowledgeable experts, such as those you might find on this forum.

Funnily enough, I'm at an internship at the Federal Trade Commision this summer in the Division of Advertising Practices. One of the cases I worked on was the Dr. Oz Green Coffee Bean extract mess with Lindsay Duncan. I was at the Senate Hearing about a month ago where Oz got grilled by Senator McCaskill. It was fun and endearing watching the quack squirming in his seat as I listened to him make up excuse after excuse to the panel.
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    If we are questioning whether fruit is good or bad for you, we have seriously lost our way...
  • Bustergirl14
    Bustergirl14 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Obviously you ahve been to a doctor to receive your diabetes diagnosis. Ask your doctor for a referral to a nutritionist to help you with your diet. There are a lot of medical issues involving diabetes and you should be getting some expert advice about how to control your blood sugar and safely lose weight rather than comtemplate vague eating strategies llke "clean eating" and "no carb" and asking strangers on a message board if fruit is bad.

Sorry, but there is just so much more that you need to be thinking about here from a medical stand point.

I am on a low carb diet designed by my nutritionist and there is not one food that she has ever labeled as "bad" or "good".

You didn't state that you are diabetic if you are then low-carb makes sense if you aren't why is your nutritionist having you limit carbs?

At my annual exam in May, my blood sugar was high enough to suggest blood work which showed I am barely over the limit for a diagnosis for diabetes. My doctor prescribed no medications but told me I had to lose 10 pounds by my follow up visit in August. And I can sympathize with anyone who was diagnosed similarly because no direction or guidance was given. I found a nutritionist who was on my insurance and I asked my doctor for the referral because I knew that this was going to involve more than losing weight. I realized I had a lot to learn about how to regulate blood sugar through diet. It's not hard but you really have to know what you are doing and having a professional nutritionist has been very, very helpful for me and I would recommend it to everyone whether they are diabetic or not.
  • highcarbveganzombie
    highcarbveganzombie Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Eat your fruit! :D
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    She wants to go the no-carb route while I prefer the clean eating, low calorie approach which I feel is more if a lifestyle than a diet (how I see low carb).

They're both diets. You are both dieters.

Enjoy your fruit. IIFYM, etc.
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! Been on this journey awhile but keep falling off the wagon. This time I have a bestie tattoo and a trip to Cancun to look forward to as a reward so I'm a bit more motivated! Lol. My best friend and I are doing this together and disagree on several points. She wants to go the no-carb route while I prefer the clean eating, low calorie approach which I feel is more if a lifestyle than a diet (how I see low carb). So I bought lots of fruits and veggies. She says fruits are bad... Too much sugar. What do y'all think? I think fruits are great as a snack or a treat or in a smoothie with spinach and Greek yogurt. I'm not trying to diet, I'm trying to change my whole perspective on food and eating!

So...
    *FRUIT* may be bad... but "bestie tattoos" are *definitely* good.

Not being judgemental about tattoos... just about "bestie" tattoos. Sounds like a recipe for bad choices.

My suggestion:
    Eat fruit in moderation / as advised by your doctor...
    Consider getting a tattoo of YOUR OWN CHOICE OF DESIGN by someone who you have *researched thoroughly*
    Then wait a year.
    If you still want it, get it then. And be willing to pay good money for it.
  • ArtGeek22
    ArtGeek22 Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    No. Absolutely no. I say carb the frack up and eat all the fruit you want. The more the merrier :drinker:
  • nathalier71
    nathalier71 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    If fruit was bad it wouldn't be recommended in the food guide...

What food guide?

I should probably take a look at this thing.

Canada has one - don't know about anyone else... they are recommendations - http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/fn-an/food-guide-aliment/index-eng.php
  • amy8400
    amy8400 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    Here's my take on diets. If you restrict something you like (fruit, bread, fats, chips...whatever) eventually you're going to really miss it and you're going to feel miserable. I wouldn't last long on any kind of diet like that, honestly. Everything in moderation. I try to have a little fruit every day--usually in a smoothie with greek yogurt and protein powder. As long as your doctor says it's okay given your diabetes, fruit is good stuff!
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    If we are questioning whether fruit is good or bad for you, we have seriously lost our way...

Not just questioning it, but with many concluding that it's the latter.

That said, if you eat fruit at a calorie surplus, you'll still gain weight. This doesn't mean you shouldn't eat fruit though.
  • sculli123
    sculli123 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    no
  • bregrig
    bregrig Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    bump for lataaa