Alcoholism

Options

Replies

• _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    Every time I reach my weight goals I start drinking again. Quit for one or two months and lose 20-30lbs then start binging again. My problem is instead of normal people with food I turn back to alcohol. Any ideas how I can get past the cravings and stick to a healthy lifestyle when I reach my goal weight again? What does/ doesn't work for you guys?

Prelog your drinks. If it doesn't fit in your calorie goal then you can't have it. It's that plain and simple. It's also a good idea to have a morning workout routine that would be hell if you drank too much the night before. You might not have that second beer or glass of wine if you know you have to get up early and go to the gym. Essentially have something else to focus on other than drinking as a top priority. That should never be your main concern.
  • BoatsnHose
    BoatsnHose Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Every time I reach my weight goals I start drinking again. Quit for one or two months and lose 20-30lbs then start binging again. My problem is instead of normal people with food I turn back to alcohol. Any ideas how I can get past the cravings and stick to a healthy lifestyle when I reach my goal weight again? What does/ doesn't work for you guys?

See a Dr. and get Antabuse. You WILL NOT drink on it, trust me. It did the trick for me.
  • Barbellarella_
    Barbellarella_ Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I have the opposite problem. Every time I start dieting, I turn into a lush. I waste like 20% of my calories on wine. Sorry I am of no help.
  • teknosprite
    teknosprite Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I have a bit of a drinking problem too. Im glad theres a thread on this, i thought i might be alone in it. I made my calorie goal yesterday (i am just starting) and today should be alright... But for goodness sake i logged my drinks for yesterday and it was like 700 calories or something! Im trying to limit then eliminate. And to at least choose drinks with less calories. I work full time and go to night school, which at some point led to drinking and eating bad foods. Thats how i gained like 60 lbs over the past 3 years. Whew. Oh the calories i would save if i didnt drink...
  • love8383
    love8383 Posts: 169
    Options
    i think since you binge drink, same as with binge eating you just need to teach yourself moderation, learn how to how one or two drinks and then saying enough whether you crave more or not..it just comes down to self discipline.
  • kelsully
    kelsully Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    My husband hate that I use the term alcoholism in relation to him BUT no matter what it is called he has issues with alcohol.

He does not ever pass out, he seems to get more energized when he drinks, so when he tries to treat his insomnia with beer he ends up awake until 4AM. Then I end up awake until 4AM as he insists on talking to me and waking me up so I can be supportive.

He has the no ability to have one or two beers, but I am not sure, outside of maybe 10 times in our 18 year relationship, that he has ever stopped when he said he was going to or noticed his drunkness...he could be slurring and legless and yet still not feel drunk.

He is only fun when drinking for the first hour or two, then he becomes a problem that someone has to deal with. It sucks.

He has also quit drinking for 3 or 4 times in our 18 years together. Each time, he was sober for 3 or 4 years. Then he would start.

He has the ability to quit cold turkey. He hates that he does not handle alcohol like others around him, it makes him feel a lesser man. He becomes a bit reclusive of social situations when he is not drinking. He has always picked up alcohol in the past when he thought he had managed the demons. He would drink "successfully" ie not be a problem to others...once or twice and then the cycle begins again for a long stretch of time. IT SUCKS.

POINT: if you can stop cold turkey...good for you. If you notice a problem occurs each time you start again..like my husband...then please, please, please do not start again.
  • xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    There is no such thing as moderation for an addict. One is too many and never enough. Please do not encourage this.

There are different types of addictions, and people respond to them in different ways.

I'm a functional alcoholic. I have no interest in quitting. I don't let it affect my life or my goals.

Some people are not so fortunate.

It accomplishes nothing to paint all addicts/addictions with one brush. Some people handle the cravings and are able to moderate, and some can't. It isn't a character judgment; it's a fact based on decades of addiction medicine research.
  • stephgas
    stephgas Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    There is no such thing as moderation for an addict. One is too many and never enough. Please do not encourage this.

There are different types of addictions, and people respond to them in different ways.

I'm a functional alcoholic. I have no interest in quitting. I don't let it affect my life or my goals.

It accomplishes nothing to paint all addicts/addictions with one brush. Some people handle the cravings and are able to moderate, and some can't. It isn't a character judgment; it's a fact based on decades of addiction medicine research.

if you identify yourself as an alcoholic and don't see a problem with it, please talk to someone about it.

it's not about 'handling cravings' or moderating; addiction is a disease. if you identify yourself as an alcoholic or an addict, you are identifying yourself as someone with a disease. it's like walking around identifying yourself as someone with cancer, someone with diabetes, or someone with lupus. ALCOHOLISM IS A DISEASE. if you are concerned about your drinking, check out this anonymous quiz: http://www.aa.org/pages/en_US/is-aa-for-you-twelve-questions-only-you-can-answer

there are very specific criteria for a diagnosis of alcoholism or addiction. this is not up for debate, it is a scientific and medical fact. alcoholism is a disease, addiction is a disease.

to the OP, writing something like that may not have been easy at all - i'm happy that you shared it. google your county and/or state and 'alcoholics anonymous' to find a local meeting. if you can't get to one because you don't drive, there is a hotline number you can call and someone will pick you up. alcoholism is a disease and it is treatable - please ask for help. and anyone reading this can message me if you have questions or concerns.
  • cincysweetheart
    cincysweetheart Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    If you consider your drinking to be a problem and have troubles stopping or moderating on your own… it sounds like an addiction. If this is true (and only you can determine that)… and you want to change that, there are a few options. AA is one of them. A lot of people have good luck with them. However, AA is not for everybody and if you decide AA isn't for you… it is not a death sentence! You may also consider Rational Recovery. (If you want my personal opinion….I would choose Rational Recovery no matter what the addiction.)
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    12 step program dude. I'm totally serious. Nothing to be ashamed about, just put down the drink and find a new way.
  • ValGogo
    Options
    Over indulging in calories make you gain weight.....not the alcohol.

So, by your comment alcohol has no calories? That's what I'm inferring. And remember, when an "alcoholic" drinks, he's not having 1-3 drinks, he's having a sixpack or a case, or what have you and there are a HELLUVA lot of calories in lots of booze
  • ValGogo
    Options

Misinformation from the misinformed. (sighs)

Just a suggestion.....don't say "funcional alcoholic" to someone who thinks they have a problem. You're not helping. The person above you had the right response. If HE thinks he has a problem, let him try to get help. Don't give him windows to justify more drinking.
  • ValGogo
    Options

if you identify yourself as an alcoholic and don't see a problem with it, please talk to someone about it.

it's not about 'handling cravings' or moderating; addiction is a disease. if you identify yourself as an alcoholic or an addict, you are identifying yourself as someone with a disease. it's like walking around identifying yourself as someone with cancer, someone with diabetes, or someone with lupus. ALCOHOLISM IS A DISEASE. if you are concerned about your drinking, check out this anonymous quiz: http://www.aa.org/pages/en_US/is-aa-for-you-twelve-questions-only-you-can-answer

there are very specific criteria for a diagnosis of alcoholism or addiction. this is not up for debate, it is a scientific and medical fact. alcoholism is a disease, addiction is a disease.

to the OP, writing something like that may not have been easy at all - i'm happy that you shared it. google your county and/or state and 'alcoholics anonymous' to find a local meeting. if you can't get to one because you don't drive, there is a hotline number you can call and someone will pick you up. alcoholism is a disease and it is treatable - please ask for help. and anyone reading this can message me if you have questions or concerns.

Good answer, Steph. :flowerforyou:
  • ValGogo
    Options
    i think since you binge drink, same as with binge eating you just need to teach yourself moderation, learn how to how one or two drinks and then saying enough whether you crave more or not..it just comes down to self discipline.

Does it? Really? Keep coming....
  • vismundcygnus27
    vismundcygnus27 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I feel ya - I've had problems with drinking and drugs in the past. NA/AA unfortunately never did it for me (I'm not a fan of the 12-step philosophy), but some people find it very helpful. Recovery is a slow process, but it's totally doable. Good luck, man, I wish you the best!
  • melindafritz1976
    melindafritz1976 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    you need to deal witth the drinking issue
    before you even start a weight loss journey
  • melindafritz1976
    melindafritz1976 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Have you thought about going to some A A meetings or some councilling of some sort?
  • mncodergal
    mncodergal Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I drank quite heavily for many years until one night something made me stop. I knew I would die if I finished the drink I had in my hand. It took therapy to figure out the reason I let alcohol become my crutch. I've been alcohol free since '07 and damn proud of myself. I still crave it but know that with even one sip I'd binge until I died. I wouldn't be able to stop myself.

I wish you the best of luck.
  • 4daluvof_candice
    4daluvof_candice Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    “Willpower can produce short-term change, but it creates constant internal stress because you haven’t dealt with the root cause.” ~Rick Warren
  • SLLeask
    SLLeask Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    In my opinion , If ever you hit your goal again... don't stop tracking your food intake .. You can drink but in a moderate way :drinker:

I disagree. Based on the little information presented, this person needs to not drink at all. There is no such thing as moderation for an addict. One is too many and never enough. Please do not encourage this.

I'm afraid I must disagree with you. I went from extremely heavy drinking on a daily basis to now being able to drink in normal moderation. The OP would seem to be able to control his drinking at times so he just seems to need help working on that. From the small amount of information given I wouldn't say he is an alcoholic (I may be wrong, in which case, seeking help from a professional would be the best way to go). Just as an overeater who loves food needs to learn moderation so does the OP at his "trigger" times. Food can be as much of an addiction as alcohol or nicotine to some. We don't immediately send someone who overeats to OA do we? Obviously, that may end up being the best course of action for a particular person, but different people respond to different assistance. It IS possible to do it because I'm living proof!

OP, since you asked what works for people, this is what worked for me... I drink shorts, not beer, so I used a low-cal mixer like diet coke or slimline tonic, then bit by bit shortened my measures. I used to pour at least a triple at a time and drink it as fast, now I am down nearer to a single. I use a large glass and use a full sized can of mixer to make it last longer. Then I convinced myself to wait 10 mins before making a drink and then eventually to NOT drink just ONE night a week, then went on to two. Now, as a rule I drink Friday and Saturday nights unless it's a special occasion another night, then what the heck. I don't drink as much wine as I did and when I do I use a smaller glass (our usual glasses fit almost half a bottle in them!!). Don't get me wrong, sometimes I go a bit mad but then get back on track and put it down to one of those things. Just like a food-binge day!

I also just remind myself that I'm a human work-in-progress. Some days I mess up and some days I'm AWESOME!!! And so are you! Good luck getting to where you want to go! :D