Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Counting calories CAN be pointless

Replies

• tfoxsail
    tfoxsail Posts: 16
    IMO, at a high level of activity, calorie counting can be even MORE important. For me, I want to make sure my body is fueled properly for my running and strength training, but also maintain a modest calorie deficit. If I didn't count calories, I run the risk of too few calories, leading to malnutrition and fatigue. Or, I could be eating too many, and I'm stalling my weight loss.

So, I track my calories burned and make sure I eat those back. I can't ensure I'm doing this properly without counting.

^ This ^
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Okay so this is my honest belief here. Counting calories should be used to guide people into a healthier lifestyle but it shouldn't be the ONLY way.

Like I run and workouts six, seven times a week. I typically run a good six or seven miles and do plenty of strength training. Anyone feel at time that counting calories is pointless, especially when you're as or almost as active as me?

No. But then, you are The Most Active Woman In The World, so your experience may be different than most.

ntkxz.jpg
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    OP, I agree with you. I don't think that it is pointless for everyone, but I definitely feel it's mostly pointless for me at this point. I'm so active that it really doesn't matter what I eat (using the knowledge of what I learned while losing weight).
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    You can't out lift or outrun a bad diet. I stopped counting calories and gained a lot of my weight back.

I *hate* this saying. "A bad diet" is so subjective - you can absolutely out-lift/out-run what SOME people would call a bad diet, but you probably can't out-lift/out-run a 6000 calorie/day diet. Even if it was entirely food that people would consider good.

I know that's what you were trying to say - I just hate that phrasing.

Agreed. I have a pretty 'bad' diet. but it's oh, so good.
  • royaldrea
    royaldrea Posts: 259 Member
    It's pointless if you consistently eat at a deficit or maintenance without thinking a lot about what you're eating, which is the case for many persons (pointless meaning unnecessary because you're already doing what you need to do in order to reach or maintain your goal size). If you have trouble eating at a deficit or at maintenance, then it's not pointless at all and is quite helpful, regardless of how active you are.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Exercise makes me hungry and makes me think it's okay to eat ALL the food and drink ALL the beer. I could totally be "very active" and still gain if I didn't count.
  • dedflwrs
    dedflwrs Posts: 251 Member
    "You can't compete with what you eat"
  • WillLift4Tats
    WillLift4Tats Posts: 1,699 Member
    Exercise makes me hungry and makes me think it's okay to eat ALL the food and drink ALL the beer. I could totally be "very active" and still gain if I didn't count.

Definitely this. My appetite knows no bounds.
  • brennenjones
    brennenjones Posts: 16 Member
    Definitely not pointless. I've lost over 50 pounds counting calories and I also work out 6-7 days a week and am pretty active.

Like others have said, you can't outrun a bad diet no matter how active you are.

What's easier to do, to cut out 300 calories from a meal or to burn 300 calories at the gym?

And that's the answer to your question basically although I understand what you're trying to say.
  • tycho_mx
    tycho_mx Posts: 426 Member
    Nope, not pointless if you're not getting the results you want "unmonitored".

I am a fairly healthy individual -no chronic health issues. One or two colds/year. No GI diseases. No depression, etc. Only ongoing limiter in diet is lactose intolerance (blame bad genes :) ).

And I am still struggling to lose about 5 lb to reach what I think is my "optimal" body composition for competing. I ride and race a bicycle 15-20 h / week. I clearly need to be more diligent with my dietary efforts - not just tracking, but eliminating the mindless eating. I am guilty of that too often, eating lots of suboptimal foods after a hard ride.

At least tracking honestly provides a log of what I am doing and where I can improve. Simply tracking doesn't solve anything. Conversely, if you're happy with where you are, why go over the hassle of logging anything? It's just a tool. You don't buy a hammer if you don't need to push some nails in.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    in for the comedy. BTW I do not count calories.
  • __freckles__
    __freckles__ Posts: 1,238 Member
    OP, you are correct. Counting calories is not the only way to achieve a healthy lifestyle. And it may be pointless for you to do so as a 19 year old who is extremely active.

So.........don't count. The end.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Definitely not pointless. I've lost over 50 pounds counting calories and I also work out 6-7 days a week and am pretty active.

Like others have said, you can't outrun a bad diet no matter how active you are.

What's easier to do, to cut out 300 calories from a meal or to burn 300 calories at the gym?

And that's the answer to your question basically although I understand what you're trying to say.

I don't know about a "bad diet" (whatever that is), but you most certainly *can* out train/run a "calorie surplus diet" such that it becomes a calorie deficit/neutral diet. A lot of people have been doing that for a very long time with excellent results.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    If you are active enough to be in a calorie deficit consistently and your goals are not necessarily body composition related, it isn't strictly necessary.

But you are missing the whole picture.
  • baba_helly
    baba_helly Posts: 810 Member
    counting calories is hard. luckily I have an app for that.
  • __freckles__
    __freckles__ Posts: 1,238 Member
    If you are active enough to be in a calorie deficit consistently and your goals are not necessarily body composition related, it isn't strictly necessary.

But you are missing the whole picture.

Honest question - what's the "whole picture." I don't know the OP's goals, but I'm only counting calories during bulking/cutting cycles.

Are we talking macros, etc? Cuz I feel I have a pretty good handle on them so I don't have to count during maintenance.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,887 Member
    Check back in 20 years and let's see if you still feel the same. Pointless for someone is when it doesn't apply to them. Right now it doesn't, which is why you feel the way you do.

A.C.E. Certified Group Fitness and Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • muggzie399
    muggzie399 Posts: 116 Member
    I am sedentary by choice of course. I sit at work all day. I do try to get up every hour at least and go up to the front of the building to visit.

I have been counting my calories since I started here 90 some days ago. I am 20 lbs. lighter. Counting calories pointless, Not in my eyes.
  • Tanie98
    Tanie98 Posts: 675 Member
    No its not.even when you are that active you could gain weight if you eat more than you burn
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    I lost weight counting calories without exercise. It worked all by itself. I got fit by counting calories and exercising.