I am down to 136 pounds. Why do I still have a belly?

Options
I don't get it. In February of this year I was 190+ pounds. But nowadays, thanks to a diet and exercise, I am now down to 136 pounds.

But yet I still have a belly! Shouldn't my belly have been gone by now?! :sad:

I should also mention that I am male.

Replies

• Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    You can't target specific areas of your body for fat loss.
  • sockableclaw
    Options
    You can't target specific areas of your body for fat loss.

That's true.

My belly will go away eventually though, right? As long as I keep exercising and dieting?
  • heatherloveslifting
    heatherloveslifting Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    136 seems on the small side for a man. Do you lift?
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    You belly will flatten over time.

Are you doing any weight or strength training?
  • sockableclaw
    Options

Nah. My plan was to become as thin as possible and then start doing pull ups.
  • sockableclaw
    Options
    You belly will flatten over time.

Are you doing any weight or strength training?

Nah. Just cardio.
  • KseRz
    KseRz Posts: 980 Member
    Options

Thats a bad plan. Your new plan should be to start lifting heavier and eat MOAARR. Eat all da foodz n proteenz!
  • srogers89
    srogers89 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Start doing weights as well, this helps strengthen the muscles and pull everything in so to speak. As long as your diet is on point as you start to lift weights everything else should firm up and fall into place.
  • Chibukalu908
    Chibukalu908 Posts: 212
    Options
    Your belly will go eventually
  • Lane1012
    Lane1012 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    also depends on how tall you are .. 136 on a 4'9" guy will look remarkably different than someone 5'9" .. all other things being equal (no lifting, just cardio)
  • FireStorm1972
    FireStorm1972 Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options
    I agree with the weight lifting after you have reached your goal. I'm in the same boat sorta, I was 265lbs now at 184 and my goal is 150-160lbs, then start more weight training to build some muscle tone and try to drop my body fat %. I also have the flab around the waist, its getting smaller. Maybe you have loose skin and it will tighten over time.
  • sockableclaw
    Options

Thats a bad plan. Your new plan should be to start lifting heavier and eat MOAARR. Eat all da foodz n proteenz!
    Start doing weights as well, this helps strengthen the muscles and pull everything in so to speak. As long as your diet is on point as you start to lift weights everything else should firm up and fall into place.

Would doing pull-ups and chin-ups do the same thing? Cause I don't have any lifting equipment, but I do have one of those attachments you can put above the door for pull-ups and chin-ups.
  • sockableclaw
    Options
    Your belly will go eventually

I hope so! :smile:
    also depends on how tall you are .. 136 on a 4'9" guy will look remarkably different than someone 5'9" .. all other things being equal (no lifting, just cardio)

Yeah I am 5'7 and a half, lol.
    I agree with the weight lifting after you have reached your goal. I'm in the same boat sorta, I was 265lbs now at 184 and my goal is 150-160lbs, then start weight training to build some muscle tone and try to drop my body fat %. I also have the flab around the waist, its getting smaller. Maybe you have loose skin and it will tighten over time.

Best of luck to you!
  • FireStorm1972
    FireStorm1972 Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options
    Try some resistance bands, cheap and can store away anywhere. Downside they only go to 30lbs or so. Unless you add more bands.
  • sockableclaw
    Options
    Try some resistance bands, cheap and can store away anywhere. Downside they only go to 30lbs or so. Unless you add more bands.

Hmmm, I never considered those before. I'll look into it.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    Look into a bodyweight strength training regimen that you can do without any equipment. And chinups/pullups are both great exercises that will target quite a few muscle groups when done properly.
  • KseRz
    KseRz Posts: 980 Member
    Options

Would doing pull-ups and chin-ups do the same thing? Cause I don't have any lifting equipment, but I do have one of those attachments you can put above the door for pull-ups and chin-ups.

You can still achieve hypertrophy through bodyweight exercises. Yes! Pullups are a fantastic exercise even for people with a lifting program. You dont need a gym to gain lean body mass and burn fat (although lifting heavy is an excellent way). Google hypertrophy / bodyweight exercises. There are tons. This is where I need contingencyplan to finish up with his advice.
  • Lane1012
    Lane1012 Posts: 211 Member
    Options

Wow, I'm 5'7' and I weigh 150. I'm a runner so I need to stay pretty light so I mix in strength training between runs. You don't need a lot of equipment for resistance stuff (pull up's, push ups, dips, etc. for upper body) .. and a lot of gym memberships are more reasonably priced now.
  • sockableclaw
    Options
    Look into a bodyweight strength training regimen that you can do without any equipment. And chinups/pullups are both great exercises that will target quite a few muscle groups when done properly.

You can still achieve hypertrophy through bodyweight exercises. Yes! Pullups are a fantastic exercise even for people with a lifting program. You dont need a gym to gain lean body mass and burn fat (although lifting heavy is an excellent way). Google hypertrophy / bodyweight exercises. There are tons. This is where I need contingencyplan to finish up with his advice.

Wow, I'm 5'7' and I weigh 150. I'm a runner so I need to stay pretty light so I mix in strength training between runs. You don't need a lot of equipment for resistance stuff (pull up's, push ups, dips, etc. for upper body) .. and a lot of gym memberships are more reasonably priced now.

What do you guys think of this video?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRznU6pzez0

It's a beginners guide on how to do pull ups.
  • heatherloveslifting
    heatherloveslifting Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options

He is correct. Start doing your pull ups and push ups now before you lose any more muscle! And maybe some squats and lunges, etc. In my humble opinion you should try to recomp instead of losing more weight. (Gain muscle).