The "you just fine the way you are" Talk

Options
So... in my own personal commitment to MYSELF I'll have you. to loose weight in telling my current boyfriend that I'm actually trying to loose weight. I've been met each time with the your just fine the way you are talk.

Has anyone else who feels they want to lose weight for them selves in a non-dangerous way been met with this?

And if you have what the best way to tell them that you don't currently feel comfortable in your own body?

Replies

• TechNerd42
    TechNerd42 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    The proper response would be, "Thank you, I'm glad you think so. Hopefully you'll still think I'm fine the way I am when I get to the point where *I* think I'm fine the way I am too."
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I have people in my life that feel this way about me currently.

I don't.

I don't have the talk with them though. So I just do what I'm doing. I feel this puts the onus on them to try to change my mind and let them try to come up with arguments about why I should not be trying to be healthier.

So, I don't break my head wondering about it. It's on them. So far no takers.:bigsmile:
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    I have had this...back when I was 250lbs at 5'7. I basically just do not respond or try to take it as a compliment, because that is why people say it MOST OF THE TIME. They say it to be nice.

You do not need to justify your health and fitness to anyone.
  • Sylentskye
    Options
    Partners and spouses tend to get the short end of the stick where weight discussions are concerned. They seem to be hesitant to say anything for fear of hurting feelings, creating doubts etc. I would say that as long as your boyfriend is not trying to fight with you or completely sabotage your efforts, just roll with it. He may not want to make you feel insecure as us saying something about ourselves is different than someone we care about saying it to us.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    Partners and spouses tend to get the short end of the stick where weight discussions are concerned. They seem to be hesitant to say anything for fear of hurting feelings, creating doubts etc. I would say that as long as your boyfriend is not trying to fight with you or completely sabotage your efforts, just roll with it. He may not want to make you feel insecure as us saying something about ourselves is different than someone we care about saying it to us.

Epic first post!
  • skiextrm
    skiextrm Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I think partners are in a bind as to how to be supportive of both your goal and where you are at currently. You would feel kind of crumby if he said, "heck yah, you need to lose some weight!" So, as long as he doesn't sabotage your plan, try to appreciate his efforts to let you know you are okay with him, just as you are. You can do this!
  • SomeNights246
    SomeNights246 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Yes.

I can understand where it comes from. As another poster said, the fear of hurting someone's feelings is there. However, sometimes lying can hurt just as bad. And I say this from experience. I got the "You're just fine..." and then (my personal favorite) "You're not that fat". And they always say 'that'. Always. Which is a fancy way of saying "You're fat, but I'm afraid of hurting your feelings. So, you're not that fat." I wish we, as a society, would stop tip toeing around the truth. If someone is fat, they're fat. If someone is skinny, they're skinny. If someone needs to lose five lbs, there's nothing wrong with agreeing and motivating them to do so - as long as you're not saying these things to be a complete jerk.

The best thing I can say, is tell them you're not doing this to look good. You're doing this for your health.
  • PeanutButterByTheSpoon
    Options
    Yes I know, it pisses me off. I just "Thanks for your opinion, I am just gonna try my best to be healthy. So if I lose weight and I am not underweight than it's not your concern" here's a saying "Now they will ask you why you are doing it, later they will ask you how you did it"-anonymous
  • Lacey_Cakes
    Lacey_Cakes Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    So... in my own personal commitment to MYSELF I'll have you. to loose weight in telling my current boyfriend that I'm actually trying to loose weight. I've been met each time with the your just fine the way you are talk.

Has anyone else who feels they want to lose weight for them selves in a non-dangerous way been met with this?

And if you have what the best way to tell them that you don't currently feel comfortable in your own body?

My husband is the same way. He always says "well i think you are fine". I just tell him but IM not happy with me. Just tell you you want to be comfortable in your own skin. You have to be happy with yourself
  • MagnumBurrito
    MagnumBurrito Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    Personally, I wouldn't voice it.

If we say we're going to do something, our brains makes us feel like we accomplished something when we haven't really done *kitten*.

Some people must follow through when they voice something. It seems like most people would rather just talk the talk, though.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options

If we say we're going to do something, our brains makes us feel like we accomplished something when we haven't really done *kitten*.

Some people must follow through when they voice something. It seems like most people would rather just talk the talk, though.

You should watch the secret. You will probably like it. There is value in keeping one's intentions to oneself. There is something more precious and condensed about the intent. Something motivating. It feels like when you state it, it gets spent a little and watered down. Using very bad analogies here but it's a thing.

An example. A friend of mine had trouble with relationships. SOME of them were pretty decent guys. SO on the next decent guy she found I asked her to hold onto it, and him and keep it to herself for awhile. Like a secret. Like to give herself and him time to nurture the relationship between the two of them before introducing to each others friends and family and open it up to scrutiny/opinions. This seemed to work. The last time I talked to her we were both arguing with each other about who no longer had time for whom due to being in a full fledged serious relationship and turning our life completely over to a man who had been deserving of us for months. I went on to marry mine, and that's the last I heard of her, they were engaged and under way was a tour of a different California mission each weekend plan.

I think sometimes we announce our plans too soon and let people take the rug out from under us with their concerns/advice.
  • LumberJacck
    LumberJacck Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    I have dated a few (or so) women who didn't like me losing weight, almost all of the time they weighed more than me, which I can understand probably hurt their ego somewhat (plus I'm tall). How did I deal with it? I just let them know that weight loss would be non-negotiable for me. I let them know that I wanted to continue to date them, but also wanted to continue to lose weight. I tried to make it not a big deal, as much as possible.

Somehow they accepted it to some degree and we all got along swimmingly.
  • RunningForeverMama
    RunningForeverMama Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    The proper response would be, "Thank you, I'm glad you think so. Hopefully you'll still think I'm fine the way I am when I get to the point where *I* think I'm fine the way I am too."

Exactly this and I wouldn't talk about it anymore. Also be prepared for more indifference rather than support. You might be giddy to be down and size and your boyfriend may not care a bit. Don't let that get you down, you have your MFP peeps for support and you need to do what you need to do to be happy with yourself. Best of luck!
  • mendressa
    mendressa Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Last time I tried this, my husband (boyfriend then) was sort of "do what you want to do but you look fine" (I believe he thought this was being supportive). This time (3 or 4 years later) he's really supportive and cooking healthier meals for me when he cooks and helping to point out healthier options when I'm stuck - or sick of one thing or another.

I kind of doubt he realizes his support is different this time around but I can feel the difference.
    Ok, while writing this I asked him what the difference was and he said "I don't know."
  • Leggylass
    Leggylass Posts: 215
    Options
    Everywhere i turned i got.. you look fine, youve lost weight..have you been trying too?

Theyre all just being polite , didnt want to hurt my feelings or really didnt give a damn

it about you
  • opalsqueak007
    opalsqueak007 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Yes, I get this too. "Don't lose too much weight", and people bringing me cake even though they know I have a lot of weight to lose and am grossly FAT. I don't understand why they do it. I am ok without people supporting me, but I wish they would not bring me fattening food as a gift even though I have made it clear that for my health I must lose weight.
  • MagnumBurrito
    MagnumBurrito Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options

You should watch the secret. You will probably like it. There is value in keeping one's intentions to oneself. There is something more precious and condensed about the intent. Something motivating. It feels like when you state it, it gets spent a little and watered down. Using very bad analogies here but it's a thing.

An example. A friend of mine had trouble with relationships. SOME of them were pretty decent guys. SO on the next decent guy she found I asked her to hold onto it, and him and keep it to herself for awhile. Like a secret. Like to give herself and him time to nurture the relationship between the two of them before introducing to each others friends and family and open it up to scrutiny/opinions. This seemed to work. The last time I talked to her we were both arguing with each other about who no longer had time for whom due to being in a full fledged serious relationship and turning our life completely over to a man who had been deserving of us for months. I went on to marry mine, and that's the last I heard of her, they were engaged and under way was a tour of a different California mission each weekend plan.

I think sometimes we announce our plans too soon and let people take the rug out from under us with their concerns/advice.

Enticing grabber and good post!
  • 25lbsbegone
    Options
    For many people who say this sort of thing, I think its fear related. People sense the pain behind your decision and your self image, and to make you feel better they attempt to get rid of the thoughts that are making you suffer in the first place.
    It's still not an appropriate reaction, but I personally see it as a good gesture.
  • tomandshell
    tomandshell Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    My doctor didn't say that I was fine just the way I was. He said I needed to lose fifty pounds if I didn't want to end up having a heart attack or stroke.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    ...So if he says 'Good, get to it!' you'd probably think he was an *kitten*. If he tells you you're fine and he likes you just the way he is he isn't supportive enough.

So what response, exactly, would be the proper one? A nomcommital grunt. A tone 'whatever you want dear'?

I don't get people